MCAT Postponed: What resources to improve weaknesses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisztomania287

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

With less than ideal trend of my recent practice FL results, I am pushing my Sept MCAT to Jan 2017. During the upcoming fall quarter, I realistically have ~13 hours/week for 10 weeks and 4 full weeks for studying before the January test.

I took TPR Ultimate course over the summer and my only form of content review has been TPR class lectures and reviewing practice passages (supplemented by Khan Academy and Anki; didn't even touch the TPR books). It kind of worked for me as C/P and B/B sections have been the most reliably improving sections (TPR FL 1 C/P: 123 & B/B: 124 to AAMC Scored C/P: 127 & B/B 128).

However, now that I'm kind of starting over, I am wondering if I should give prep company books a chance to see if that will help me. If yes, which ones? I have all the TPR and EK books (from friend), but I'm willing to seek out for TBR or whatever that would serve best for re-takers/"postpone-ers." Or is just practice & review method still golden at this point?

CARS had been consistently improving for me as well, but AAMC Scored CARS recently destroyed the trend, so I'm just not sure what to do. I'm thinking I should just tackle it by doing 1-3 passages per day, and maybe even following Testing Solution's 90 day guide. I've been honing both my critical reading skills and timing, but neither is really there yet. Is there any recommended way to tackle CARS for retakers/postponers?

My goal is 512+ and here is chronological list of my FL results:

Total C/P CARS BB PS
TPR 1 491 123 122 124 122
TPR 2 494 122 123 124 125
TPR 3 495 123 123 124 125
TPR 4 502 125 125 124 128
TPR 5 500 125 125 124 126
AAMC Sample 505 126 128 124 127 ("converted")
NS 1 508 127 126 126 129
NS 4 502 126 124 125 127
NS 2 504 126 126 126 126
AAMC Scored 502 127 123 128 124

Members don't see this ad.

The TPR course is very thorough for the sciences. Did you do all the assigned passages? Given that you have limited time to study, I would recommend continuing to take next step full lengths and thoroughly reviewing your mistakes and cross checking your knowledge with the content outline provided by AAMC.

Also, get at that 100 page KA notes document for psych/soc. its really an oddball section where information that seems unimportant will be tested directly on the real test.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
@Rei02sDinnerParty Sorry for the delayed response! Didn't get to check SDN for awhile due to school year starting just now.

I did not do at least half of the assigned individual TPR passages. Despite studying about 60 hrs/wk, I felt like I had limited time, so I focused on content review, taking FLs, and reviewing FLs. Reviewing each FL took 2-3 full days (w/ some additional individual passages done during those days).

Based on the gradually increasing science scores, it seems like that method was at least somewhat effective. However, CARS score was shuffling around a lot so that's my main concern.

Where can I get that 100 page KA notes document?

Reading the New Yorker every night for 40 mins or more significantly increased my cars score. When going through the passages I found the useful to ask myself why answers are wrong and if it's even a little wrong don't choose it even if the last remaining answer doesn't seem that great, it must be right.

I don't think a course is going to help you that much in cars. Maybe just find someone who is better than you and ask them why they are choosing that answer.

Reading the New Yorker every night for 40 mins or more significantly increased my cars score. When going through the passages I found the useful to ask myself why answers are wrong and if it's even a little wrong don't choose it even if the last remaining answer doesn't seem that great, it must be right.

I don't think a course is going to help you that much in cars. Maybe just find someone who is better than you and ask them why they are choosing that answer.
How long did you read the new yorker for? like how many months until you saw an improvement? also were you looking for anything specific when you were reading?

How long did you read the new yorker for? like how many months until you saw an improvement? also were you looking for anything specific when you were reading?

I started reading it like 6mo before the mcat but only every once in a while. About 2 months or maybe even 1.5 months before the exam I read it religiously every night for at least 45 minutes and it really helped. I was really just going through it and trying to get through the long articles without stopping to build endurance and actually remember what I read. Sometimes I would kinda find myself asking things in my head like " the author is strongly against this or that." For those annoying which would the author Gree with questions. It was really just for the endurance tho.