MCAT Practice Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spcwounder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, what are you using for practice? Short of taking a full length practice test. I feel like conceptually I'm getting the material, but I don't have a chance to apply it. I know ExamKrackers used to have 1001 practice problems, but they don't seem that relevant anymore. Any suggestions on where to find some problem sets?

Members don't see this ad.

Khan Academy has practice passages for chem/phys, bio and psych.

Reactions: 1 user
I too liked the idea behind the 1001 books so I purchased NS content books, they have 1000+ discretes for each subject just like the EK1001. I found when I answer questions I retain the material but when I read and don't apply it I don't retain it.

I haven't used the NS content books much, but I also bought their Strategy & practice books. The s&p books have been a big help. Each one has 4 full length sections full or practice passages + strategies for each section.

If you want more MCAT practice to reinforce the material (which we all need) I highly recommend the strategy/practice books. If not books then buy a few full length exams and break them up to use as practice. 5 or so full lengths + the AAMC test is plenty for most people to prep so extra exams can be used for other practice. Also, buy ALL the aamc materials ASAP (OG, Q pack, sample test)

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't used the NS content books much, but I also bought their Strategy & practice books. The s&p books have been a big help. Each one has 4 full length sections full or practice passages + strategies for each section.

If you want more MCAT practice to reinforce the material (which we all need) I highly recommend the strategy/practice books. If not books then buy a few full length exams and break them up to use as practice. 5 or so full lengths + the AAMC test is plenty for most people to prep so extra exams can be used for other practice. Also, buy ALL the aamc materials ASAP (OG, Q pack, sample test)

Got their strategy books as well. Are you combining the section tests to mirror an FL?

No, cause they are on paper I don't use them to simulate a FL test. I use them as half section practice so I can work on timing/pacing a bit while also building my endurance a bit. I really like the passages and the fact that I don't need to be on a computer to do real MCAT practice passages.

No, cause they are on paper I don't use them to simulate a FL test. I use them as half section practice so I can work on timing/pacing a bit while also building my endurance a bit. I really like the passages and the fact that I don't need to be on a computer to do real MCAT practice passages.

Would you say that the NS strategy & practice books for physics/chemistry/Ochem passages do a good job of presenting these topics in biological/biochemical frameworks, as the MCAT will do?

Yeah, I would say most of the passages in the S&P book fit the new MCAT well. Not all, but I found that to be true of all the company tests I tried (EK and NS suffered from this less than TPR and Kaplan). I would recommend the S&P, especially for CARS and PSych/Soc. The biochem is good too. The chem phys is prolly the least like the AAMC of all 4 books.

Yeah, I would say most of the passages in the S&P book fit the new MCAT well. Not all, but I found that to be true of all the company tests I tried (EK and NS suffered from this less than TPR and Kaplan). I would recommend the S&P, especially for CARS and PSych/Soc. The biochem is good too. The chem phys is prolly the least like the AAMC of all 4 books.

Thanks! So would you say that the NS chem/physics problems are still pretty much like the way other companies present them and not really representative of the new MCAT format?

Maybe closer to the AAMC than Kaplan or TPR, but not as close as their other S&P books. I think with the physics, it's especially tough to test that stuff and train without lapsing into some generic physics scenario.
As far as AAMC likeness

CARS & Psych Soc > BIo/Biochem > Chem/Phys

For EK I'd say

Bio/biochem > Psych/Soc > Chem/Phys > CARS

Just my estimation tho.