MCAT Practice Score Dropping...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steelersfan1243

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I could really use some help in studying for the MCAT. Until this week I was seeing an upwards trend on my mcat practice test, from a 22 on my diagnostic a month ago to a 34 on Kaplan FL 3, with a two-three point increase each time (previous test was a 32 on AAMC 4). I may have gotten over confident and took two to three days off to work on my committee letter and ever since my test score dropped. I have gotten a 29 on both AAMC 7 and 8. I am making much more careless mistakes as well as forgetting material that last week I had down. I was scoring 12-13 on my PS, but self assessments and the past two practice tests I was barely scoring ten. Has someone gone though a similar ordeal? Any advice on how to get back up from being too confident? My test is in two weeks so would appreciate all the help, please and thank you.

Oops, this is in the wrong section

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I had your problems. I went from a 27 on AAMC 3 to a 29 on AAMC 4 to a 20 on AAMC 5. I kept going and got a 26 on AAMC 7 and then a 29 on AAMC 9.

1) Consider your average (and don't assess it now -- you haven't done everything yet)
2) Sometimes we have bad days.

It's a joke I'm giving you advice since your scores are higher than mine, but I can relate to score dropping big time lol.

Everyone says your AAMC average is all-important, so treat your average like your real score. For better or worse, I have convinced myself that the next test will always be harder than whatever I just took so I never get complacent. I think because I hype everything up so much in my head, I end up taking every test really seriously. I know I have the impulse to just stop once I finish the questions on a practice test, but I force myself to go over everything again until time runs out. And one thing that helped me eliminate dumb errors is to make myself slow down and think through every single answer choice and either strike it out or choose it, even if I think I know the answer right off the bat. And don't move on until you take the time to think through the broader concepts/implications of your answer choice. A lot of times the dumb errors are in questions you zip through because they seem so easy.

Reactions: 1 user