MCAT Prep as a Freshman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDHopefulIA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am Freshman right now. I was wondering whether it would be beneficial to start studying for the biology section of the MCAT. I am not taking Biology 1 or 2 as I have used AP credits for them. The last time I took Biology was in 11th grade. So would studying for the Biology portion be beneficial for me right now, so I have a base of the knowledge when it come to actual prep time? I plan on taking the MCAT in the fall of 2016. Freshman year I have Chem 1 and 2, Anatomy and Physiology 1, Biomedical Ethics, Medical Terminology, Sociology, Composition, a Literature class, Calculus, and Statistics. Also would it be beneficial to study for any other portions of the MCAT, like Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills? Thank you to any respondents.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am Freshman right now. I was wondering whether it would be beneficial to start studying for the biology section of the MCAT. I am not taking Biology 1 or 2 as I have used AP credits for them. The last time I took Biology was in 11th grade. So would studying for the Biology portion be beneficial for me right now, so I have a base of the knowledge when it come to actual prep time? I plan on taking the MCAT in the fall of 2016. Freshman year I have Chem 1 and 2, Anatomy and Physiology 1, Biomedical Ethics, Medical Terminology, Sociology, Composition, a Literature class, Calculus, and Statistics. Also would it be beneficial to study for any other portions of the MCAT, like Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills? Thank you to any respondents.

No. Studying MCAT material will not be beneficial right now. Survive and perform well with your classes as it seems like you have quite a hefty course load.

I am not taking Biology 1 or 2 as I have used AP credits for them.
Just a reply to this. If you are majoring in something other than Biology be sure to consult the MSAR for schools you might want to attend. Many do not accept highschool AP credit to count towards their course requirements.

This would be a non-issue for a bio major but just be aware of the MSAR guidelines. Random things like Biostatistics are not obvious to take but schools can have many unique requirements to be considered.

Also, only study for classes but create a review system such as flashcards that you will be able to reference when you're preparing for the MCAT.

No. Studying MCAT material will not be beneficial right now. Survive and perform well with your classes as it seems like you have quite a hefty course load.
I've heard this again and again so put off studying until the standard 4 months prior to my test date. I think it makes sense for specific content review like for Biology. But honestly in hindsight I wish I started studying for verbal reasoning earlier. It's more of a skill that takes a while to develop with practice and is independent of remembering specific content.

Of course learning and not solely memorizing in your classes is probably the single most important thing you can do right now.

You will also want to check on how long the schools you are interested in will accept MCAT scores for. AAMC says generally MCAT scores shouldn't be more than 2 - 3 years old. Taking it sophomore year may not give much leeway if you need to re-apply to get into the school you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard this again and again so put off studying until the standard 4 months prior to my test date. I think it makes sense for specific content review like for Biology. But honestly in hindsight I wish I started studying for verbal reasoning earlier. It's more of a skill that takes a while to develop with practice and is independent of remembering specific content.

Of course learning and not solely memorizing in your classes is probably the single most important thing you can do right now.

You will also want to check on how long the schools you are interested in will accept MCAT scores for. AAMC says generally MCAT scores shouldn't be more than 2 - 3 years old. Taking it sophomore year may not give much leeway if you need to re-apply to get into the school you want.

The development of analytical and comprehensive skills take time. I agree, reading is a great way to gear towards the MCAT. It seems to be more of a hindrance that many classes are more about writing than reading and making an assessment based on the thesis or argument of the article.

I just don't feel it to be beneficial to pull out any MCAT prep book because you risk demoralization if you try to grind through it which is down thing one needs to avoid.

Thank You so much for the responses! I have not picked up a biology MCAT book, but I am reading a decent amount, and I hope I can continue reading. Thanks again!.

My suggestion is to finish your pre-req courses that are tested for on the MCAT before studying and attempting the exam. Also, don't go into your classes with the mindset of just earning an A, really spend the time studying the material to gain an understanding of the concepts, and create inter-related pictures of the various subjects in your head, you will see these same concepts across multiple subjects, now and later. And don't forget to enjoy your time as an UG, take a few courses you want to throughout and really broaden your educational background. Yes, we all want to get into medical school, but don't let that be your only guide in life, enjoy the whole college experience, and get off campus, get into volunteering and stick with it, become a well-rounded individual. All of these things will help you on the road to being a physician.