Mcat prep guidance/advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Love reading the threads on SDN and especially the non trads section since I am one myself.

Just some background information on me: I did well in all my science classes but that was years ago. I thought I would take the new MCAT next Spring but I'm having second thoughts and want to take it this year before the changes next year. I still have to take Org. Chem. 2, Physics 2 & Biochem. The thing is, I work full-time and may have to wait until the fall or even Spring 2015 to take Org. Chem 2 because my school does not offer the class later in the day. I've been looking around to see if I could take it a different school but so far I can't find a class that's offered after 4:30 pm which is the earliest I could take a class after work. So, I am contemplating taking the MCAT before Org. Chem 2 and Biochem. Possibly even before Physics 2. I would aim at taking it in November. I don't have time to attend a prep course. I need a thorough review of Bio & Chem. and plan on applying next year.

My GPA stats aren't the best mostly because of my non- science major classes so I really need to ace the MCAT (hopefully on the 1st try). For all you guys who aced the MCAT, what review books/material would you recommend? I would study mainly on weekends and after work on weekdays. Any advice is welcome, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're a non-science major rushing to take the MCAT before it increases the amount of the exam covering non-science from one third to one half. And to do so you are going to try to wing some of the sciences. I guess I don't see why you are in a hurry when the exam changes could very well benefit you as well as give you time to cover the material in actual college classes before taking the MCAT. The best advice I could offer would be to wait for the new exam, after you've taken at least some of the classes covered on the MCAT (biochemistry, orgo, and physics 2).

Thanks BerkReviewTeach. I guess I could wait but I feel like I should be studying since it's been so long since I took some of the science classes. I haven't found review materials for the 2015 exam. Really want to apply next year though hence my rush to take the MCAT. I could take it in the Spring but I don't know what the best books to review are. There are so many options. Any particular books you would recommend to begin the review? I thought of getting the TPR review books but how are they compared to Exam krackers audio osmosis?

Applications for next year will open in June, so you have the option to take the current MCAT (being phased out after January 2015) or the new exam. Both exams will be in the applicant pool. Who knows what adcoms will do with the different scores, but I assume they'll aim to treat the scores as comparable, making a 500 the same as a 24 and a 508 the same as a 30. So you have a choice of which exam to take. The sciences are not changing that much, with an increase in biochemistry being the biggest change coupled with the removal of a few topics (so it seems from their released information). The real change is the inclusion of what might be viewed as a second verbal section where the passages will center around sociology, psychology, and neurophysiology. As a non-science person, in theory you are at an advantage on the new section. With more time allowing you to take Physics 2, Orgo 2, and Biochemistry, you'll be at an advantage waiting to take the exam. On paper, you are the quintessential example of someone who should wait to take the exam. I understand your concerns about materials, but that can be remedied by taking existing materials and cross-referencing the MCAT2015 manual from AAMC. Getting a more detailed book used for the current MCAT will work for the new MCAT, as long as you take the time to cross out material that will no longer be tested. Starting now for Spring 2015 seems ideal in your situation.

As for my recommendation on materials, there are tons of threads on this matter, so in the interest of professionalism, I'll refrain from putting my two cents in. Most people start with the postings of SN2ed and work from there. You'll find many useful posts if you insert the right words in your SDN searches.

I found a class and will be taking org chem 2 this summer so taking this year's MCAT probably won't happen since I won't have as much time to study. Really appreciate your input though. Someone mentioned the BR materials as being great but I'll check out other threads and go from there. This really helped a lot!