MCAT PreReqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xjoey21x

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What Pre reqs do I have to take for the MCAT?

I've taken Bio 1/2
Gen Chem 1/2
Anatomy
Physics 1

I plan to take Physio, Physics II, Orgo 1 and 2 also.

I am not sure if I will need biochemistry though?

Right now I plan to take Physio/Orgo 1 in the spring and Physics II/Orgo II in next fall.

I feel like this could be a tough schedule but I have to cram these classes in so I can take the MCAT in the spring of my junior year correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-requisite courses are not sufficient prep for the MCAT... And you can take it whenever you want. There is no requirement to take it your junior year. Also I do not plan on taking BioChem before I take it in May, although I am in a prep course and they will cover everything I need to know in regards to BioChem

Oh my, I did not know this. What would be the best way to prepare then and what classes should I take? I thought if I took the classes that are required for it, I would learn the material that was needed. I've aced all my sciences classes so far always scoring above a 95%

Members don't see this ad :)
No this is how really smart people take it expecting a 80th percentile and get below a 500. The MCAT is more of a test that is testing your ability to critically analyze information than it is memorization of a subject. Also a big part of getting a good score is knowing how to take the test because it is brutally long, and they try and intimidate you by using big words and stuff you obviously won't know while the actual answer is usually pretty simple. It's not like a test you have probably ever taken before.

I suggest getting a good review book (or if you have the money a prep course, which I have been doing for only two weeks now and can already see the benefits) and take as many practice tests as you can. The time needed to prepare is debated often on SDN but if you want a good score then I suggest at least 5 months of focused MCAT prep.

Disclaimer: all of this are suggestions by my many friends who have already taken it and have done well (510+)

No this is how really smart people take it expecting a 80th percentile and get below a 500. The MCAT is more of a test that is testing your ability to critically analyze information than it is memorization of a subject. Also a big part of getting a good score is knowing how to take the test because it is brutally long, and they try and intimidate you by using big words and stuff you obviously won't know while the actual answer is usually pretty simple. It's not like a test you have probably ever taken before.

I suggest getting a good review book (or if you have the money a prep course, which I have been doing for only two weeks now and can already see the benefits) and take as many practice tests as you can. The time needed to prepare is debated often on SDN but if you want a good score then I suggest at least 5 months of focused MCAT prep.

Disclaimer: all of this are suggestions by my many friends who have already taken it and have done well (510+)

Let me know how you do. I am considering taking it without taking OChem II or Biochem I first, although I do plan on taking Biochem I.

Reactions: 1 user
Let me know how you do. I am considering taking it without taking OChem II or Biochem I first, although I do plan on taking Biochem I.

Will do. I probably will be doing a WAMC in June haha. I will have taken O-Chem II but not BioChem but I also plan on taking it before I graduate. It's actually part of my major. I have invested in a prep course so I am really hoping to do really well, though I won't take it until May.

Reactions: 1 user
So should I not try to cram Physics II and Orgo II before I take it?

I was going to take both of those the semester before I took the MCAT but it seemed like a lot of work along with studying for the MCAT