MCAT Retake - Computer Problems - Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meddocx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I recently took the MCAT for the first time this past January. During the exam, my computer shut down twice, once during the Physical Sciences section and once during the Verbal section. The shut down during the VR section caused me to leave the testing area for 30 minutes because the Prometrics center couldn't get my computer back up and running. Overall, my experience truly affected my performance and mindset during the exam. (Filed a Test Concern form)

I am going to retake the exam but I need some advice. I did well in undergrad and did very well in all of my science/pre-med courses but the MCAT is kicking my butt lol. When I got my scores back I knew they would be low and indeed they were very low.. and uneven 21. (No I didn't void because I was given the opportunity to take the MCAT in January from a few MD programs and was hoping for a decent score to start this fall.) I need to know what my strategy should be retaking the MCAT. I really don't want to pay for a course. I was able to get my hands on some books recently, I have TBR, TPR, and EK. I also work in a hospital lab, from 1-9:30pm 5 days a week and I know that doesn't help me but I gotta live and eat.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, so I recently took the MCAT for the first time this past January. During the exam, my computer shut down twice, once during the Physical Sciences section and once during the Verbal section. The shut down during the VR section caused me to leave the testing area for 30 minutes because the Prometrics center couldn't get my computer back up and running. Overall, my experience truly affected my performance and mindset during the exam. (Filed a Test Concern form)

I am going to retake the exam but I need some advice. I did well in undergrad and did very well in all of my science/pre-med courses but the MCAT is kicking my butt lol. When I got my scores back I knew they would be low and indeed they were very low.. and uneven 21. (No I didn't void because I was given the opportunity to take the MCAT in January from a few MD programs and was hoping for a decent score to start this fall.) I need to know what my strategy should be retaking the MCAT. I really don't want to pay for a course. I was able to get my hands on some books recently, I have TBR, TPR, and EK. I also work in a hospital lab, from 1-9:30pm 5 days a week and I know that doesn't help me but I gotta live and eat.

Any advice?

You should've voided the exam. But @Lya is spot on. The MCAT forums is your friend

Members don't see this ad :)