Mcat retake, Read again or just practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

souvenir94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone.
So i have taken the mcat last august and got a 491. I plan on retaking it ,on May 6th and i am registered in Kaplan online course. I have started reading the books last week. However i feel like last time i took the mcat i did not practice enough. I also am confused as to whether i should read the material over again before i practice. The course includes 11 full lengths, Aamc full lengths, and the question packs. How did you guys go about using those materials and incorporating them into your study schedule? I graduated last may (biochemistry) and only took a psychology class last fall, do you think i should read all over again or just practice? are three months sufficient enough to prepare for the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, everyone.
So i have taken the mcat last august and got a 491. I plan on retaking it ,on May 6th and i am registered in Kaplan online course. I have started reading the books last week. However i feel like last time i took the mcat i did not practice enough. I also am confused as to whether i should read the material over again before i practice. The course includes 11 full lengths, Aamc full lengths, and the question packs. How did you guys go about using those materials and incorporating them into your study schedule? I graduated last may (biochemistry) and only took a psychology class last fall, do you think i should read all over again or just practice? are three months sufficient enough to prepare for the exam?

I suggest rereading the books that Kaplan provides. I took the old MCAT and am currently studying for the new one. In my experience a 491 is roughly a 19 or 20 on the old MCAT which indicates content is missing from your prep. Practice should be done after enough content review is done granted practice will increase your score but reading an answer to a wrong question and not being able to understand why the answer is what it is won't help you either. I suggest take it slow do a thorough review of material and figure out your weaknesses and incorporate practice as a gauge to see if the material is sticking with you or not and once you feel confident switch to full practice.

Note I got a 20 on the old MCAT and after 2 months of heavy content review My score is now around a 503 before practice (roughly a 26 or 27)

Hello, everyone.
It's sufficient if you put in enough effort and time to understand everything. No one can tell you how long you need to study for because it varies. Some people (like me) prefer to finish content review while doing practice passages before working on FLs while others do one FL a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, everyone.

How did you study for the first MCAT you took? How did you feel about the content? I know you said that you didn't feel like you put much time into the practice, which I feel is essential, but you also need to have your content down before doing the practice passages, I feel. Right now I'm trying to follow TPR, watch lectures then read books, try to do whatever practice questions are associated with the relative chapters then after content review is done I want to move onto practice passages (hopefully 1-1.5 months out from the MCAT date).

How did you study for the first MCAT you took? How did you feel about the content? I know you said that you didn't feel like you put much time into the practice, which I feel is essential, but you also need to have your content down before doing the practice passages, I feel. Right now I'm trying to follow TPR, watch lectures then read books, try to do whatever practice questions are associated with the relative chapters then after content review is done I want to move onto practice passages (hopefully 1-1.5 months out from the MCAT date).

I basically just read the EK books, and barely went over one practice test :(
right now i am going over kaplan books; hopefully i can get the BR books for practice, if not it will just be Khan, and full lengths. the thing is, after reading i feel so confident with the material but two weeks or so later it's all mixed up. My exam date is in 2.5 months, i hope to be ready by then.