MCAT Reviewbook for OAT?

a1bui

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since a lot of the tests are similar in subject matter, would using a MCAT review book be efficient for studying for the OAT? I heard it's easier then MCAT so would it be overkill by reading the MCAT book?

If the MCAT book isn't good, then what OAT review book would you suggest? I heard the DAT Reviewbooks were also similar, minus the physics section, should I use that over the MCAT book?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

a1bui said:
Since a lot of the tests are similar in subject matter, would using a MCAT review book be efficient for studying for the OAT? I heard it's easier then MCAT so would it be overkill by reading the MCAT book?

If the MCAT book isn't good, then what OAT review book would you suggest? I heard the DAT Reviewbooks were also similar, minus the physics section, should I use that over the MCAT book?

Thanks in advance.

Some parts of the MCAT book are overkill some parts are usefull. I found most of the chapters on Organic chem, physics and general chem were usefull but they did get into some areas that just were not covered much on the oat. (such as solubilty constant products. Curse you Mcat book! :mad: ) The biology section, however was very relavent. I studied out of the Mcat and did pretty well, but it's a lot of work. Start at least 3 months ahead of time (more depending on how much review you need).

I would not suggest studying from an MCAT book. I did that and found that it did not cover some things in detail that were asked about on the OAT. I also read the Kaplan DAT book, and personally, I believe that if you only study from the DAT book and know it through-and-through, you will be fine. The questions are formatted simliar to the practice tests in the DAT book (since the people that make the OAT also make the DAT). Just make sure you brush up on Physics though since the DAT book doesn't have that.

a1bui said:

Thanks in advance.

optgirl said:
I would not suggest studying from an MCAT book. I did that and found that it did not cover some things in detail that were asked about on the OAT. I also read the Kaplan DAT book, and personally, I believe that if you only study from the DAT book and know it through-and-through, you will be fine. The questions are formatted simliar to the practice tests in the DAT book (since the people that make the OAT also make the DAT). Just make sure you brush up on Physics though since the DAT book doesn't have that.

Kaplan tools are great, and if you can get your hands on the Kaplan OAT book you wont have to use other resources to supplement the DAT book. The DAT book is identical to the OAT book, except it includes perceptual reasoning instead of physics. Ive got the 2004 Kaplan OAT materials, you can PM me if you are interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
kgrabar said:
Kaplan tools are great, and if you can get your hands on the Kaplan OAT book you wont have to use other resources to supplement the DAT book. The DAT book is identical to the OAT book, except it includes perceptual reasoning instead of physics. Ive got the 2004 Kaplan OAT materials, you can PM me if you are interested.

Are the Kaplan OAT materials from when you took it through a Kaplan course? Did you find the materials helpful for the OAT?

When I took the OAT (2003), I used the Lippincott book (excellent review, in my opinion) and the CD (forgot the name-I think it's OAT TopScore) that had 3 mock tests. I did fine on the actual OAT. I still have the Lippincott book; I barely wrote in it; where I did, I did so in pencil. I wrote the answers to the mock OAT on a separate sheet of paper, so the the original test in the book is intact. If you're willing to give it a good home, it's yours. PM me if you're interested.