MCAT Schedule (Prep Course + SN2ED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflower18

Master of Naps
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I saw a couple of posts about this from last year, but I am still curious as to your opinions on my specific situation.

I really want to do well on the MCAT (award for obvious statement of the year goes to me, I know). I plan on taking it this summer, in mid-August. I have not yet finished my pre-reqs, nor will I have by the end of this year. I will still be lacking Physics 2. I've heard that this class is really important for the MCAT, so I have a DVD series from The Great Courses on Physics (anyone have experience with The Great Courses?) that I hope will help teach me some of the things I need to know, and I will get a syllabus from a Physics professor at my school that lists all of the chapters and problems from Physics 2 as they appear in my textbook. Hopefully I should be able to self teach myself this material sufficiently. Still, I'm concerned, and am kind of going overboard on prep materials I want to get.

I am wanting to study from mid-May to mid-August (3 months), using SN2ED's study plan as well as taking a Princeton Review online prep course. I really like being able to ask questions and answer problems and get feedback; I have money saved up and feel like it might be worth the expense. So, the materials I will then have:

- TPR prep course, which comes with all the TPR books and TPRH workbooks (I believe)
- BR series
- EK 1001 series
- all AAMC practice tests
- I'm also considering Kaplan's Physics Edge, since I won't have had Physics 2
- my Physics textbook
- The Great Courses DVD series, both for Physics and for A&P

Is this way too much material for a summer of studying? Will I drown in information, or if I have the dedication, will it help my score?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll realize quickly after you start studying that only 20-30% of the MCAT really relies on "content". You need to obviously know the basic principles of each section which is alot of info but what you need to memorize is really elementary. Getting good at passages and answering questions is what takes time and effort to master.

You'll realize quickly after you start studying that only 20-30% of the MCAT really relies on "content". You need to obviously know the basic principles of each section which is alot of info but what you need to memorize is really elementary. Getting good at passages and answering questions is what takes time and effort to master.

That makes sense. What content books do you suggest I should remove from my plan, then? I thought more books would mean more practice problems, but if that is incorrect, then feel free to correct me!

you'll realize quickly after you start studying that only 20-30% of the mcat really relies on "content". You need to obviously know the basic principles of each section which is alot of info but what you need to memorize is really elementary. Getting good at passages and answering questions is what takes time and effort to master.

true story