MCAT score dropped from a 30 to a 29 =( Hopeless right now......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

done12812

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am currently a junior. I took the mcat my first time this past summer and I scored a 30. I just got my new mcat scores back and made a 29 with an 8 on verbal. 11 on PS and 10 on BS. I am a Texas resident, and I want to go to UT-Houston/UTMB/UTSA with Texas Tech and A&M being my last possible choices.

The reason I retook my 30 was because UTSW has been my dream medical school since I was in high school. A 30 is much lower than their average. I studied for months for my retake, and consistantly got 34-35s on my AAMC exams. I even scored a 34 on AAMC 11 (12/11/11). I never got below a 9 on verbal on any of my practice exams. I just don't know what happened during this exam.

What scores will medical schools consider, my first 30 or my second 29? Should I retake? I can't retake it this semester because I don't time to study for it with a full courseload and other commitments.

I was considering spending two months studying for and taking it at the end of June. This would mean that I would get my scores back at the end of July. Is this too late? Can I still submit my application with my 30, 29 and then update schools with my third retake? How bad is it to take the test 3 times?

I am so lost and hopeless right now. Please help.

I have a 3.75 gpa with a 3.56 science gpa. I am a double major at a top 30 US News School. I have two years of research, a couple hundred hours of clinical experience, a hundred hours of shadowing, I am the president of a club on campus, some volunteer awards, other club organizations.

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely not good that it dropped, but it's within the normal variation where it won't hurt you as much as would have a steeper drop. Definitely retake if you're going for UTSW, but the truth is that you may just want to accept your loses and apply broadly to MD and DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a stomach virus the days leading up to the test. I thought the science sections would be much better. I never made anything lower than a 12 on PS, anything lower than a 11 on BS, and never anything lower than a 9 on V.

but the truth is that you may just want to accept your loses and apply broadly to MD and DO.

^agreed.

First off, congrats on your mcat score! I know it's not what you wanted, but you gotta stay positive. Ultimately, I agree with Triage. Medical school is just the initial step in your healthcare career - not the end goal.

gl :)

Stop torturing yourself by re-taking the MCAT again (and risking another drop in score...) and accept that you have a score sufficient to get into medical school. Go to med school, become a doctor, look back and laugh that you actually considered re-taking it again.

I don't think you should retake and possibly have an even lower score. A 30 MCAT is still pretty good, and with everything else solid, you should be good to go.

Stop torturing yourself by re-taking the MCAT again (and risking another drop in score...) and accept that you have a score sufficient to get into medical school. Go to med school, become a doctor, look back and laugh that you actually considered re-taking it again.

THIS +500

Just because you're below an average range at somewhere means nothing. Remember, MCAT and GPA are only a part of what they look at. Yes, your performance in school is important, but med schools are looking for the WHOLE you. Just because you're super smart doesn't necessarily mean that you can be a good doc and vice versa. My MCAT was very much below some averages and I now have a choice as to where I want to go. Use your experiences as an advantage! Turn them into positives and apply to where you WANT to go, not to where others think you may or may not stack up. Its YOUR dream after all!!

Those AAMC tests are easier IMO. I averaged 36 and even hit 39 a couple times..ended up with 33 :/

Those AAMC tests are easier IMO. I averaged 36 and even hit 39 a couple times..ended up with 33 :/

Whaaaat? Now i'm super scared.. did you feel nervous on test day? GAHHH. still great score IMO!