MCAT score on the residency application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cold Penguin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious to see how long my MCAT score will stay with me unlike the exams like SAT, ACT, PSAT, etc. Also, does the residency application ask you how many times you took your MCAT? If the application asks you for your MCAT score (as well as how many times you took it), what's the logic behind asking such questions?

I wanted to ask this question to MS III or MS IV who have seen the residency application or have some familiarity with it, so I purposely did not ask this question in the MCAT forum.

Thanks, CP

Members don't see this ad.

Cold Penguin said:
I am curious to see how long my MCAT score will stay with me unlike the exams like SAT, ACT, PSAT, etc. Also, does the residency application ask you how many times you took your MCAT? If the application asks you for your MCAT score (as well as how many times you took it), what's the logic behind asking such questions?

I wanted to ask this question to MS III or MS IV who have seen the residency application or have some familiarity with it, so I purposely did not ask this question in the MCAT forum.

Thanks, CP

I just started filling out apps. So far I have not run across this question yet. But that doesn't mean that apps don't ask for it. The CAS does ask for college transcripts.

vwhan said:
I just started filling out apps. So far I have not run across this question yet. But that doesn't mean that apps don't ask for it. The CAS does ask for college transcripts.

What does CAS stand for?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cold Penguin said:

Thanks, CP

A bunch of ortho programs ask for MCAT as well as SAT/ACT scores. Some say its for research, others don't explain why. A few residents told me of an interesting study in orthopaedics showing that SAT scores correlated most closely with OITE (Orthopaedics In Training Exam) scores only behind clinical grades, but greater correlation than step 1, 2, and MCAT. However, I still highly doubt MCATs and SAT's have much to do with the application process outside of research at this point in time.

sscooterguy

Cold Penguin said:
What does CAS stand for?
Thanks.

CAS stands for something like Centralized Application Service. You use this for early match (SF Match). Early match residencies are ophthalmology, child Neurology, neurosurg and plastics. You also have to fill out ERAS, which is the regular match (NRMP).

Cold Penguin said:

Thanks, CP

Hi there,
ERAS does not ask for MCAT scores however, some secondary applications for some residency programs (rare) will ask for MCAT scores. In a residency program that gets say 400 applications for 4 slots (like mine), they generally will have to use something besides USMLE Step I and grades to weed out the folks that they want to interview.

njbmd :)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
ERAS does not ask for MCAT scores however, some secondary applications for some residency programs (rare) will ask for MCAT scores. In a residency program that gets say 400 applications for 4 slots (like mine), they generally will have to use something besides USMLE Step I and grades to weed out the folks that they want to interview.

So in this situation, your MCAT score can make you or break you? :eek:

njbmd said:
Hi there,

what? 400 apps for 4 slots? May I ask which specialty you were applying to?

Cold Penguin said:

Sounds like genetics. Unless he is talking about at one school, then it could be plastics, uro, etc.

Cold Penguin said:

Hi there,
My General Surgery residency received 400 applications for 4 categorical slots two years ago. It's a solid university program and tends to get a huge number of applicants. Our program does not ask for MCAT scores on the secondary residency application but we DO ask for scores.

Out of that 400, we invited 75 for interview and ranked all of them.

Cold Penguin said:
Doesn't sounds any worse than applying for med school. GW got 11,000 apps for about 110 spots, gave 1,000 interviews.