MCAT score question WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fedoraenglish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

regardless of my GPA (3.54), if I have MCAT scores of 24 (unfortunately), but have achieved PS:8 VR:9 BS:10 (so my highest combination is 27) over the span of two re-takes ( those are my best scores in each section from both my retakes)... do I even have a chance at any MD program in the US? I've already applied but I wouldn't mind some encouragement, if possible.

I know certain schools combine your best from each section, so does a *best* of 27 make me a completely unlikely candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

With only the info you have provided (no state of residence or compelling personal characteristics) I would say you have a very low chance of admission to an LCME accredited MD granting program. Even in the sticky above it would be 20% including Puerto Rico and the HBC's that you may not be a good fit for.

Very few schools look at MCAT scores this way (none in my state).

Sorry bout that gyngyn, I tried to make it as simple as possible. I know some schools do look at the best possible combination of scores (GWU for example, Im scanning SDN to look for a thread on this?) I'm just wondering if 27 is a necessarily disqualifying score

compelling characteristics... I can say with some confidence I'm a kind/warm/caring person with social skills, research experience, shadowing experience, studying abroad experience, loads of volunteering experience. I also interview well (know this from experience and feedback)...

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry bout that gyngyn, I tried to make it as simple as possible. I know some schools do look at the best possible combination of scores (GWU for example, Im scanning SDN to look for a thread on this?) I'm just wondering if 27 is a necessarily disqualifying score

compelling characteristics... I can say with some confidence I'm a kind/warm/caring person with social skills, research experience, shadowing experience, studying abroad experience, loads of volunteering experience. I also interview well (know this from experience and feedback)...
Then it appears that your rate limiting step is the acquisition of enough interviews! If you are not open to a DO application, you need to identify any MD schools that might be willing to look at your scores in the way you have described. If I tried it, my colleagues would give me significant push-back (sort of like data dredging)!

what your asking is if a school superscores

gwu and mcw are the only two that i know of, and even with that superscore youre on the lower end of the mcat range, considering that no one MCAT adds up to 27, im sure that wont look so great.

so realistically your chances at MD are very very low

Yes, I am Canadian. Positive difference or negative difference?

Yes, I am Canadian. Positive difference or negative difference?

negative
some schools view canadians just like any other US citizen, others label them international students... which drops their chances

you should do research into your schools to see how they treat canadian applicants

In my experience it varies school to school. I only applied to the ones that accepted a sizeable number of canadians

I'm just really depressed knowing I spent most of my summer studying/applying and ended up with a 24. I feel really bad about myself, and I wonder if taking a kaplan or princeton course would even help me?

In my experience it varies school to school. I only applied to the ones that accepted a sizeable number of canadians

I'm just really depressed knowing I spent most of my summer studying/applying and ended up with a 24. I feel really bad about myself, and I wonder if taking a kaplan or princeton course would even help me?

You weren't studying effectively then. There is no necessity for a prep course to achieve a high score.