Mcat score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

underdog427

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering whether a 29S (11 P 9 B 9 V with S in Writing) was considered balance (I took the Jan 28 MCAT). I seriously doubt that my verbal score could get any higher than a 10 as in my practice tests and so instead risking a drop in verbal I decided not to retake. I was still wondering if I seriously hurt my chances into getting into any school by this decision. I am from Louisiana if that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

It is a balanced score, but to be honest, it's on the low end. Without knowing the rest of your application, I would suggest applying to state schools & Caribbean/DO. There's a chance you'll get into a private US med school, but you really shouldn't count on it, so you should have some backup options.

Thanks. I am applying to my state schools, lsu nola, lsu shreveport, and a local private tulane. I am also applying broadly to a big list of schools across the nation. Does anyone know if my MCAT score is competitive for these schools because all the data I see is very old. I also go to a top 10 university with a gpa that fits in the average of matriculants from my school with great research (pubs and presentations at national conferences), volunteer experience, and clinical shadowing.

I don't think I will apply to D.O.s or Caribs as I would rather get rejected than go to schools where I don't want to be in.

I just looked at the stats for the LSUs, and you have a legitimate shot at them. Considering the rest of your app sounds solid, I'd be pretty happy with your chances there. The only reason I said DO/Carib is because you never know with this process, and I know numerous people with with good stats (33/3.5 top school) that after applying broadly, received not even an interview. Just make sure you truly would rather reapply next year than go to a DO/Caribbean school. That's a personal decision only you can make.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, thanks so much man. I think I will be applying to some one year internships at the same time as I apply for medical school (such as the NIH post undergrad research ones) to give me more options in case I don't get into my state schools. If i post a list of schools is there anyway you could comment on it in terms of mcat scores and reach/stuff like that:

Boston University
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Albert Einstein
Albany
Temple
Jefferson
LSU New Orleans
Tulane
LSU Shreveport
Penn State
New York Medical College
Loyola University of Chicago
Tufts
Drexel
St. Louis
VCU

Yeah, thanks so much man. I think I will be applying to some one year internships at the same time as I apply for medical school (such as the NIH post undergrad research ones) to give me more options in case I don't get into my state schools. If i post a list of schools is there anyway you could comment on it in terms of mcat scores and reach/stuff like that:

Boston University
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Albert Einstein
Albany
Temple
Jefferson
LSU New Orleans
Tulane
LSU Shreveport
Penn State
New York Medical College
Loyola University of Chicago
Tufts
Drexel
St. Louis
VCU

Good list. I'd say BU and maybe Tufts are a long shot with a 29, but if you have awesome "other stuff", you might get looked at. Applying broadly is definitely the way for you to go. If I were you, I'd try to maybe add 4-5 more schools (hint: look for state schools, preferably near LA, that have OOS interviewed% >20).

Good luck. Oh also, I totally respect you for not applying DO/Carrib if you wouldn't be happy there. Having said that, you are probably a somewhat long shot at all of these schools, which is OK. But, if I were a pre-med advisor, I would probably suggest at least looking in to DO (but not Carrib). It is an equivalent degree, and perhaps if you learn more about it, you'd become OK with the idea.

I'm not saying you wont get in to an MD program, I think you have a reasonable shot, esp at your state school. BUT, if you end up reapplying, you have to ask youself would you rather be a DO than a not-doctor, you know? I'm in that situation myself - I applied last year with a 3.1/32, got 3 waitlists at MDs and didnt apply DO. This year, I'm applying MD and DO, just because for me, I'd rather be a DO than reapply again. Just something to think about.

Thanks for your advice man. I appreciate it. I will look into some, but I've never shadowed one or been to one before? Any suggestions of D.O. schools?

I wouldn't apply DO with that score, especially cause you're from LA. I'm applying to LSU-NO and LSU-Shrev as well. I think you'll be fine as long as your GPA is up there.

Hey man,

I didn't spend the time to really look through ALL of the replies. But I saw that you said you are planning on applying to LSU Shreveport. I hope you are a resident because I don't think these school accept applicants who are not residents of LA. But if so, I believe your score is adequate.

One of my friends had about a 3.7 GPA, a bunch of extracurriculars, and got a 25 on his MCAT and was accepted into the LSU Shreveport. 29 should be fine, assuming everything else on your application is fine. I think constantly scrolling through the SDN forums inflates what you think an average score is. I'm not saying put all your eggs in one basket, but I think you have a great shot!! Good luck!

Thanks for your advice man. I appreciate it. I will look into some, but I've never shadowed one or been to one before? Any suggestions of D.O. schools?

As far as DO schools go, there are a few discussion somewhere on SDN about the "best DO schools". People get pretty heated because everybody says its all about what school is the best fit for you, that there is no "best", but actually, PCOM is pretty much considered the top DO school in terms of step 1 pass rate and match etc. THere are a few other good ones - I think chicago has a good one. Do a little research they should come up pretty easily.