MCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrScrub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I had a quick question. I was wondering, if you wrote the 2014 MCAT, if the scores would still be counted, even after the 2015 MCAT had started being administered.

The reason I'm asking this is because, I did some research and from what I've read, some sources have said that the 2014 MCAT will automatically be void, others said both will be accepted, others said that the pre-2015 one will be preferred over the 2015 one, and others said that the 2015 one will be preferred. I've asked the counselors at my school, but know one knows. I was planning on emailing individual schools, but I thought I'd post here first, to see what you guys think.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The 2014 scores should still be accepted until 3 years after you took the exam (2 for some schools).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Hmm... it says "Medical schools will accept scores dating back two or three years. In the event that you have taken the exam previously, check the application policies of each school that you are interested in to see if they will accept your previous scores" (pg. 33).

I'm not sure that this address the OP's more specific concern as to whether "the [2014 MCAT] scores would still be counted, even after the 2015 MCAT had started being administered".

Thanks for providing the general answer.

Hmm... it says "Medical schools will accept scores dating back two or three years. In the event that you have taken the exam previously, check the application policies of each school that you are interested in to see if they will accept your previous scores" (pg. 33).

I'm not sure that this address the OP's more specific concern as to whether "the [2014 MCAT] scores would still be counted, even after the 2015 MCAT had started being administered".

Back in my day.....I took the last paper and pencil exam and applied 18 months later with people who took the computer exam. No issues.

Reactions: 1 users

This is the MCAT Essentials for 2014 and January 2015. If the 2014 MCAT were not accepted in 2015/16/17 (once the new MCAT is available) then they would not publish this material.

With regards to the "In the event that you have.. taken the exam previously...." that has to do with if I got a 27 and then retook the MCAT and got a 34. Would they look at the 27? Would they look at the 34? Both? Average? Neither because they are ignorant and don't consider applicants that have taken the MCAT twice? Really all of that information for multiple testing is school specific... so it makes sense that they refer you to your specific school of interest to figure it out.

I would not say that this is the perfect definitive answer... but given the fact that the AAMC is publishing material regarding the 2014 MCAT being valid in 2015/16/17, I doubt there is much to worry about.

Reactions: 1 users
This is the MCAT Essentials for 2014 and January 2015. If the 2014 MCAT were not accepted in 2015/16/17 (once the new MCAT is available) then they would not publish this material.

With regards to the "In the event that you have.. taken the exam previously...." that has to do with if I got a 27 and then retook the MCAT and got a 34. Would they look at the 27? Would they look at the 34? Both? Average? Neither because they are ignorant and don't consider applicants that have taken the MCAT twice? Really all of that information for multiple testing is school specific... so it makes sense that they refer you to your specific school of interest to figure it out.

I would not say that this is the perfect definitive answer... but given the fact that the AAMC is publishing material regarding the 2014 MCAT being valid in 2015/16/17, I doubt there is much to worry about.

Touché. :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user