MCAT Sociology: Do I Need To Take The Class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shannonigans

i prefer heartbeats to retweets
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a post-bacc pre-med student trying to figure out my class schedule for the next 4 semesters. I'm earning a "Pre-Health Professions" certificate from the school and one of the requirements is to take a general psychology and general sociology course. My goal is to take the MCAT early next year (January/February) and, as I graduated with a BA in Humanities, I'm more concerned with getting the science pre-reqs I need to get a solid foundation before starting to study for the MCAT. Consequently, it looks like I'll be taking sociology during Spring 2016- AFTER I take the MCAT.

I know this has been discussed before, but would a full sociology course really be beneficial for the MCAT? Or will a Kaplan/Princeton Review/etc. overview be fine?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, @el_barto! Part of my hesitation is exactly that- if I can teach myself what I need to know from a review book, why bother spending $500+/3.5 months on the course? However, I like the idea of "completing" this pre-health certificate program I'm currently enrolled in, so there's also the desire to be able to tout, "I completed THIS certificate!" even though I think the only person who will care about that is me... :)