MCAT study material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bob_xxx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the study material for the MCAT. On the official website they assessment package only offers guides about the MCAT and practice questions but where do you I find information on the specific topics themselves so I can refresh my memory on each of those subjects.

For instance for the biological portion of the exam there are topics such as Enzyme Structure and Function or Control of Enzyme Activity. Now where would I find more information about these? Will I have to refer to my past textbooks/notes or will I just have to know the material and practice the questions?

I heard Khan Academy was a good source to use as study material is this true?
Also I plan on taking the exam in January 2015, so will the Khan academy material be out of date by then? On Khan Academy it says that its MCAT material is prepared for individuals attempting to take the MCAT in Spring 2015. So will it be okay if I use it for January 2015?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Khan Academy is an excellent resource.
Most students who self-study the material purchase Review books (Berkeley Review, Princeton, EK, or Kaplan). You can find many of them online and they give you (hopefully) targeted info for the MCAT.

Personally, I think going back to textbooks from past classes will waste too much of your time if you do that for every content topic listed on AAMC outlines.

Members don't see this ad :)
Khan Academy is an excellent resource.
Most students who self-study the material purchase Review books (Berkeley Review, Princeton, EK, or Kaplan). You can find many of them online and they give you (hopefully) targeted info for the MCAT.

Personally, I think going back to textbooks from past classes will waste too much of your time if you do that for every content topic listed on AAMC outlines.

Okay, I heard Princeton Review is really good, and I had councilors from my University give me pamphlets about them but I went on there site and they offer courses which are very expensive, like $2500 and they only provide them in March/June etc. Is there specific books provided by them that are the best for the MCAT? I kind of have a low budget.

Khan Academy material is applicable to both current and 2015 MCAT.

I see, that's good to know. Thanks

Last edited:
You don't have to enroll in one of their courses. Yes, they're quite expensive. But there are thousands of people who self study using resources for dime on a dollar sometimes in SDN sales section.
There is no single book that is BEST for the mcat but you have to stick with something and if needed, have to use other resources to help you supplement for knowledge.

Alright what are some cheap MCAT textbooks? Right Now I am using Khan Acedamy and the official AAMC guidebook and self assessment. Will that be adequate or do you guys recommend some other sources that in your opinion are pretty good at helping you learn better and more easily.

I have to say you're already off to a great start. Most students utilize the AAMC content outlines towards the end of their studying, and that's a mistake. It's more work to utilize them early on, but it's well worth it.

As for additional content materials, I recommend TBR which you may find semi-cheaply on the "for sales" thread here on SDN as well as TPR hyper-learning verbal workbook and science workbook. Supplement these with Khan, AAMC content outlines, AAMC practice test, and flashcards + MCAT Question a Day (free, online) and you've got yourself pretty much covered.