MCAT study schedule? Test: Jan 24th

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunybg5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

So I'm taking the MCAT January 23rd and I have a few study questions/concerns.

I have been doing content review since the beginning of October (I've been pretty diligent) and reviewed most of the content that I needed help with using Chad's Videos (coursesaver). I've been supplementing this with some passages, but not too many.

My hope is to finish all of my content review by the end of this semester, and spend the month of my winter break (which I have completely free) to do practice tests and passages.

My concerns: I don't know if I'm giving myself enough time for practice & studying in general, I would wait until this summer but I'm trying to avoid the new test. I also have barely scratched the surface with verbal other than reading the EK book for strategies.

My question: Should I postpone the MCAT until the summer? Or do you think that finishing content by xmas and using the entire break for practice will be sufficient? (I'm hoping to get a lower-mid 30 score) I haven't taken any practice tests yet. (Anyone with personal experiences on with my situation?)

Thanks again! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should take a practice test and see where you're at first. Lets say you're aiming for a 28 and your practice test is a 20 with NO studying, it's completely in the realm of possibility that you can get your score up to 28 given 2 months of good practice. If you're at a 15, then I doubt it.

Also, do you think you could sit for a 6/7 hour test given practice?

All in all, I think that worst case, you can just sit in for the test, get some real practice, with what the MCAT is actually like, and void it. If you're really iffy about it all, then just wait until the summer. The worst is to get scored when you're not ready because then you have to take it all over again.

I agree with @Sammy1024. No one can tell you right now for sure if you should cast the books away for a better opportunity or really buckle down. That can, however, be illustrated by practice tests. I'd recommend giving it a week to 10 days. Take a practice test now, AAMC #3, but don't hold yourself to simply that score. The first one you take can be your lowest. Then study diligently for a week to 10 days and take another, ideally AAMC #4, and see how you fare. If you like your score and/or your progress, I'd definitely say keep chugging - especially considering all that time you'll have before your test.

Good luck!!