mcat study schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajain1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so basically I have taken the MCAT once (Aug. 2014) and I really did horrible. I have to make sure that the next time I take it my score is seriously great to get me into my dream school. So I have decided to take a semester off and will be giving myself 3.5 months of content review and practice and then 1.5 months of only practice and then the BIG DAY!!!!!

I'm going to be using the exam crackers books and using some of the AAMC sources to study. With 107 days to finish 28 chapters, I will be able to go over the chapters at least 3x (literally 3.82x). I will be studying 4-6hrs per day, that means 20-30hrs per wk. I also plan to do 1-2 FLs for every content review months and then do more in the practice only months.

Also one important thing, I'll be following the Exam Krackers home study schedule online and tweak it a little to give myself a bit more time with the chapters. I have also created an account on studypal.co and might have found a study partner as well. My exam day will be the first MCAT date in January 2016

So after you guys have read or skipped around m entire study plan, do you think that this is a good idea? I would like to hear all of your opinions or advice or anything at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am never a fan of taking a semester off. I rather finish school and take all the prereq classes needed for the MCAT.
That being said, it looks good. You shouldn't need to go over the material 3x. Go over them once slowly, understand them, and after that it's all about practicing, building stamina and learning how to eliminate questions etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I am never a fan of taking a semester off. I rather finish school and take all the prereq classes needed for the MCAT.
That being said, it looks good. You shouldn't need to go over the material 3x. Go over them once slowly, understand them, and after that it's all about practicing, building stamina and learning how to eliminate questions etc.

Agreed, it's better to finish undergrad and if you have to study for the MCAT. Take 1-2 gap years if needed. Average age for a MD entering student is 24 and 26 for DO students.

Reactions: 1 user

Hi Dr. Trenb,
I definitely agree that one SHOULD take all the prereqs for MCAT as that is the most helpful. I have taken all my prereqs and I'm now taking a semester of before I finish my second bachelors degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, it's better to finish undergrad and if you have to study for the MCAT. Take 1-2 gap years if needed. Average age for a MD entering student is 24 and 26 for DO students.

Yes I had some what an idea about the average age, but wasn't completely sure. It's not easy to explain to my family about the non-traditional student, but its work in progress.