MCAT studying tips (long post!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gecko45

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been reading these forums for a while, and I decided to contribute something since I got my scores a few days ago. I'd like to explain my study "techniques" that got me a high score with a relatively short amount of studying (~ 1 month).

Some background: 4th year biochemistry student at a fairly prestigious university, no mcat prep courses, and this was my first time taking the test. I finished all of my courses at the end of the fall, so I could concentrate "full time" on studying for the January 25/26 exam date.

My study setup: sitting at my desk with my computer, listening to music, taking semi-frequent breaks (just don't overdo it).

First step, I picked up the entire ExamKrackers MCAT Prep series, with the chem, orgo, bio, and VR sections, as well as one written practice test. I actually picked this up last spring, but kept on putting off studying until it came down to it. During winter break, about a month before the exam, I started studying several hours a day. I found that the EK series provided almost everything I needed for the exam. If I had trouble understanding something, I usually checked wikipedia. One time I referred to a Physics SATII review book, so don't forget old sources and textbooks you may still have.

If you haven't looked at the EK series, each book is divided into several "lectures". My study habit consisted of reading each lecture in order, while taking detailed, yet highly condensed notes on my computer for each section. If you read the chapters carefully and try to absorb the material before moving on, it should be easy to do this. When I say condensed, I mean each lecture was reduced to about 1/3 of a printed page, 11 point font, with bullet points. For example, one bullet point says:
  • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]peptide hormones: preprohormones cleaved in rough ER lumen to prohormones -> modified in golgi w/ cleavage and/or glycosylation -> exported via vesicle -> acts on effector (target cell) via receptor -> intracellular second messenger.
If you condense the entirety of the exam material to 15 pages, it's no longer too much to handle and you can study *everything* multiple times per day!!

If you're able to write these notes as you study each section for the first time, and do not move on until you're able to answer all of the sample questions interspersed throughout each lecture, you should end up with a solid understanding of each concept. I averaged 1.5-2 lectures a day, leaving the 30-minute exams in the back of each book for later.

Once I'd finished with a book, I'd move on to another subject, then after completing those lectures, I'd return to a previously finished subject, review my condensed notes (remember, 3-5 pages for each entire subject), then take all of the 30 minute exams, stopping after each one to grade it, figure out my mistakes, reread the relevant content, and possibly update my notes if needed. I feel that mixing up the reading and the 30-minute exams gives both the necessary practice, as well as allowing you to review the material more effectively, so you can remember it. FYI, I was scoring fairly poorly on these (often around 8-9): I think they were rather difficult, but they were great practice if you went back to review to figure out your mistakes AND UNDERSTAND THEM!

Once I had gone through all the sciences, I started on the VR book for last, which then gave me all sorts of general tips at the beginning that I should have known as I was doing the rest of the series :cool:. Make sure you do this entire book, as I felt is was very helpful and took very little time.

As for the writing sample, I read the EK advice, read a few sample essays from AAMC, then condensed it down to this exactly:
  1. explain statement and its context, why it applies to the human condition (1 paragraph). first sentence should present main idea, but allow for possibility that it may not always apply.
  2. provide an example and clarify it (1 p) and maybe another example if you have time
  3. provide a counterexample, develop/explain, and explain why it contradicts
  4. provide guidelines for determining when it applies and when it doesn't, in context of the given examples
I believe that if you use flowery language, and more "touchy-feely" examples that would make liberal arts professor proud, that the graders will be more impressed with the writing. During the exam, I followed these steps exactly to create a quick paragraph-by-paragraph outline to make sure I didn't skip anything, then filled it in, finishing about 2-3 minutes before the 30-minute mark for each essay.

I should say that at this point, I had a pretty major obstacle come up with my studying plans: a bad case of the flu, starting about 5 days before the exam date. Considering how much I was cramming, this screwed things up considerably, as I could barely sleep, let alone function while trying to study. Still, I kept on trying, with generous doses of ibuprofen to keep the pain down, and large amounts of caffeine to keep me awake.

Moving on, once I had taken all my notes, done all the 30-minute exams, I still had not done any full length practice exams! Still, I went over my notes, printed out, while skimming the book alongside them. This helped make sure I could recall any diagrams, as well as again reinforcing everything in my mind. Once I felt fairly comfortable with this, it was actually the day before the exam. I signed up for the free electronic practice exam from AAMC and took that, scoring in the low 30's , but also occasionally using the "cheat" feature that would explain the answers. My entire purpose at this point was to drill as much of the material into my head as possible, and immediately after the practice test, I again went over my notes repeatedly. Since the entire set was 15 pages, I could do this multiple times very quickly.

That evening, I was still very sick and only managed to sleep for 4 hours. In the morning, I felt even worse, but still went on to take the test. I again took my notes with me to the exam room, and studied them over and over again, until I was called in to take the exam (see a pattern here?).

As for the exam, I somehow completely skipped 2 questions in PS that I didn't notice until there was <5 seconds left, so I couldn't even guess on them. I thought that was the hardest section. I followed my set of steps for the essay, did my VR with no idea of what score I'd get, but actually felt pretty good with the BS section. I felt that I may have done well enough to not void my score, so I went ahead and had it graded. I was honestly expecting something in the 20's, and spent my time up until the score release trying to decide when I was gonna retake the test.

When my scores were released (1 day late after 30 days... thanks AAMC), I checked them online and found a 38S! 15/12/11 (BS/VR/PS). Apparently my study habits worked well enough for a perfect score on biological sciences, and as good as I could ever expect on the VR. My PS score was obviously hit by the few questions that I skipped completely but still was respectable.

So, my main advice is to create a set of detailed, highly condensed notes, and *repeatedly* review them. This way, you won't get tripped up by obscure details or equations, since you'll have them all memorized. And if you did all the sample questions, you should be somewhat familiar with the testing style.

If you condense the entirety of the exam material to 15 pages, it's no longer too much to handle and you can study *everything* multiple times per day!!

What I'd do different: first, get a flu shot. second, I feel if I had even a few more weeks to study and do more practice exams, I could have scored even better, had I not been sick. Ideally, I would have set my own schedule across 3-4 months, but I still would have the same study process, just much more of it.

In addition: this study method is definitely not for everyone! If you require lots of structure (like a 2-3 month course), this obviously won't work. Also, I had learned almost all of the material before, but the courses were so long ago (such as AP chemistry from 10th grade) that I effectively was relearning everything as I went. I had taken more advanced material in the meantime, so that may have helped with a subconscious understanding of the fundamentals.

One last thing: I'd post my set of notes, but it's written in such shorthand that it would likely be detrimental for someone else to use it. Write your own set of notes, and the process itself will help you absorb the material.

Thanks to everyone that's posted on this board! It's been helpful reading from people in the same boat as me. To everyone who is still going to take the MCAT, good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thats an awesome post! Thanks very much. Can you bold your MCAT score for other people to see (or maybe put it on the top). Some people first like to know if you did well (which you did) and only then they listen to your advice. Some people just skim posts. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a few requests for a small sample of the notes that I kept on talking about. I've attached page 3 (of 5) of my Biological Science notes as a pdf. The sections that I cover on this page happen to take somewhat more space than the 1/3 page I mentioned, but it should give the right idea. Good luck to everyone!

Edit: I'd also like to add that there is a lot of stuff that I left out from the notes almost completely. If I felt very comfortable with a specific subject (eg. apoptosis in the sample page), I felt there was no need to waste any space on it.

Attachments

• BSp3.pdf
    101.2 KB · Views: 805
Last edited:
So you just made notes using the EK set and constantly review them? Most people have at least 2 sources of MCAT materials and I'm wondering if that's necessary...

So if I read this right, you only did one full length practice test before the actual exam and scored in the low 30s. then you took the real thing and got a 38? That's incredible. Also, what did you use to practice verbal?

So if I read this right, you only did one full length practice test before the actual exam and scored in the low 30s. then you took the real thing and got a 38? That's incredible. Also, what did you use to practice verbal?

The OP did it... but he/she's the exception not the rule... exhaust all the practice materials you can!

The OP did it... but he/she's the exception not the rule... exhaust all the practice materials you can!

bozz, did you take kaplan practice tests? how did you get access to them? took the course?

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely a great post. It's always good to see how other people who did well differed from each other in their study habits.

Did you ever take "notes" while reviewing/studying concepts from kaplan and PR books?

Did you ever take "notes" while reviewing/studying concepts from kaplan and PR books?

It depends what you mean by take notes. I mean, I was pretty good at differentiating the material that I would remember from the material that I may not remember. So sometimes I did. Like the solubility rules were something I struggled with so I wrote them down on flashcards twice, repeated them to myself a bunch then wrote them out again (over the span of two weeks). I never forgot them after that. Usually though, I remember things by visualization. So, if I'm trying to remember how a protein is translated. I see a movie in my head then verbalize what's going on while I think about it in my mind.

Gecko45,

Nice job with that score in such a short period of time! I would say, though, that you are not a typical pre-med student. You must be one of those super brilliant ones, haha. I don't think your method would work for those of us who have to work really, really hard for our grades. Thanks for the post though.

It depends what you mean by take notes. I mean, I was pretty good at differentiating the material that would, and may not remember. So sometimes I did. Like the solubility rules were something I struggled with so I wrote them down on flashcards twice, repeated them to myself a bunch then wrote them out again (over the span of two weeks). I never forgot them after that. Usually though, I remember things by visualization. So, if I'm trying to remember how a protein is translated. I see a movie in a head then verbalize what's going on while I think about it in my mind.

Well, obviously different things work for different people. The OP posted a sample of "notes" he/she took and I was just trying to see whether taking notes (like OP posted a pdf file above) or making flashcards correlates to doing well (35+) on the MCAT. Obviously, you did well and so did the OP. I am currently trying to come up with my own strategies on how to attack the exam. If taking notes is consistent (just liek OP did) I'd better take detailed notes too. Some things always work...you know what I mean.

Well, obviously different things work for different people. The OP posted a sample of "notes" he/she took and I was just trying to see whether taking notes (like OP posted a pdf file above) or making flashcards correlates to doing well (35+) on the MCAT. Obviously, you did well and so did the OP. I am currently trying to come up with my own strategies on how to attack the exam. If taking notes is consistent (just liek OP did) I'd better take detailed notes too. Some things always work...you know what I mean.
No, I totally understand what you mean. I kinda feel like the OP's strategy of condensing the material probably would have been a good one for me, but who knows. :p

No, I totally understand what you mean. I kinda feel like the OP's strategy of condensing the material probably would have been a good one for me, but who knows. :p

lol...don't think there was ANY room for improvement for you in the PS and BS...haha!! what....you wanted to take notes for the Verbal? :laugh:

lol...don't think there was ANY room for improvement for you in the PS and BS...haha!! what....you wanted to take notes for the Verbal? :laugh:

Haha, fair enough. I mean, It just would have made it easier for me to learn all of the material cold. With his note-taking method you could probably cut your realistic MCAT prep time down to about 3 months instead of my 4.

I'd just like to clarify that I'm quite certain that my strategy will not work for everyone. The level of difficulty of my undergrad coursework probably contributed significantly to my score, but I feel my performance wouldn't have happened without this studying. I went from the low 20's on the EK 30-minute exams, to a low 30's score on a single electronic practice exam, to a 38 on the actual exam, so it worked for learning all the material as quickly as possible.

Also, I did use a few sources other than EK, though not any other MCAT review books. As I said, primarily wikipedia/google, and a few glances at SATII review books when I wanted a different explanation for a subject. Of course, if you have sufficient time, it's a good idea to read more sources, but I was very happy with EK and the tips they gave as to what you had to learn and what you could safely skim over.

And EK also gives very useful tips for the verbal section. You can't really study for it, so just practice passages.

lol you guys, just make your own notes, you heard his method - I think the whole concept of condensing your notes is to process the information while you make them.

Your post was truly inspirational, Gecko45!

It was depressing to read that you got ill during the testing period. Glad you made it!

---------
Requesting notes:
Some members kept requesting for notes, and I'd like to warn them against using other people's notes.

It's best to write your own notes because the process of creating notes is really crucial to understanding and remembering.

Also, from my experience, hand-written notes aids in memory retention more so than type-written notes. Anyone else feels the same way?

I'm currently studying for the MCAT. If I do well, I shall definitely also give back by posting my tips on tackling the MCAT.

Congrats on your score!!!

As a side note though I would like to warn everyone that studying habits differ between people. Make sure you adapt whatever study "plan" you are going to use to fit you!!

Wow just noticed people asking for notes... Are you people that lazy? Do your own work.

Dont send out your notes OP, some people have no shame :thumbdown:

Terrific post!! Finally someone came out with an EK study plan. I have some ? though. You mentioned that you took short, yet detailed notes and completed about 2 lectures per day...then took the 30 min exams later that night? Then, you mentioned that after completing another book, you would go back and do the 30 min exams again?? is that right? Did you do this Gecko

Your post was truly inspirational, Gecko45!

It was depressing to read that you got ill during the testing period. Glad you made it!

---------
Requesting notes:
Some members kept requesting for notes, and I'd like to warn them against using other people's notes.

It's best to write your own notes because the process of creating notes is really crucial to understanding and remembering.

Also, from my experience, hand-written notes aids in memory retention more so than type-written notes. Anyone else feels the same way?

^^I agree that writing your notes is essential. There is no substitute, and I find it much more effective than typing them.

However, I must admit that a copy of your notes would be helpful. I am doing my notes on the bio chapters and my notes for EACH CHAPTER are about 3-5 pages!!! too long? how do I condense without skipping the essential material? I draw diagrams to help remember the topics better, but should i just stick to short handed notes and look at the book for pictures? the diagrams take a long time to draw

I agree with what the OP is saying and taking notes is absolutely critical to doing well, IMO. I used a similar strategy with EK only, taking notes on any topic I didn't know perfectly. I'm not sure how condensed my notes are as compared to the OP, since I handwrote them (a better idea I think) but they were much more condensed than the EK books. As the OP points out, this allows you to study numerous lectures worth of material in a short time.

As for using multiple sources, I don't think that's necessary at all. This test isn't about specifics but rather concepts. If you understand one source very well then that will be all you need. For those curious, I got a similar score to the OP, 39 (13PS, 11VR, 15BS). I studied a couple weeks more than the OP, mostly due to spending 2 full weeks taking 7 AAMC practice exams. I'm surprised gecko was able to do so well with only one practice test (congrats) but I wouldn't suggest others skip on this part.

Gecko,
How were your notes for PS? how did you use shorthand approach for subjects in G.chem and Physics (my weakest subject). If you could provide a sample of your notes for any topic on these, I, and I think the rest of SDNers would greatly appreciate it!:D