MCAT Testing Date and Implications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2Fic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am intending on applying the next application cycle however, I have a little dilemma.
My senior year schedule is basically full due to a 8 hour Biochemistry lab. As a result, I have to take one of my "Advanced Biology" courses during the summer before my senior year. As many of you know, this is the summer one applies to med school and takes the MCAT.
As a result of being forced to take a class during my summer, it means I MAY have to move my intended MCAT testing date to July. Would it be possible to apply to Medical schools in June or so, and have my MCAT pending until I take the test in mid-July? Would this effect my admissions (i.e. would this essentially be the same as applying in August)? I need everything I can get when applying to medical school, so applying late is NOT an option.
Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can apply and wait for your score. It'd wouldn't be exactly as if you were applying in August but rather if your application was being verified in August. You still won't get most of your secondaries until after your scores come in. You won't be late, but you won't be early either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump...sorry guys

Hello, I am intending on applying the next application cycle however, I have a little dilemma.
My senior year schedule is basically full due to a 8 hour Biochemistry lab. As a result, I have to take one of my "Advanced Biology" courses during the summer before my senior year. As many of you know, this is the summer one applies to med school and takes the MCAT.
As a result of being forced to take a class during my summer, it means I MAY have to move my intended MCAT testing date to July. Would it be possible to apply to Medical schools in June or so, and have my MCAT pending until I take the test in mid-July? Would this effect my admissions (i.e. would this essentially be the same as applying in August)? I need everything I can get when applying to medical school, so applying late is NOT an option.
Thank you very much!

You could learn bio now. There's not much to know for the MCAT. It's pretty basic material. Grab a Kaplan book or some other review book, read it cover to cover and know everything in it before you take the MCAT in the spring. If your score is not satisfactory, then take it again later in the application cycle. I know people who did this and did well.

If you've taken bio already, then take the MCAT in the spring.

There is a trade off to taking it in July. You won't know your score when you submit your AMCAS and will be counting on your MCAT score to be decent. You won't know until August what you got, and by then I think it is getting late to be submitting your AMCAS. In other words you'll be applying with a blind MCAT. If you are confident in your ability to do well on the MCAT, then by all means take the risk. But it is a risk nevertheless. In my opinion, this is why May is an ideal date. May lets you see your score by the end of June and then you can submit AMCAS regardless of whether or not you have to retake (assuming you are 100% sure your retake will be higher).

You could learn bio now. There's not much to know for the MCAT. It's pretty basic material. Grab a Kaplan book or some other review book, read it cover to cover and know everything in it before you take the MCAT in the spring. If your score is not satisfactory, then take it again later in the application cycle. I know people who did this and did well.

If you've taken bio already, then take the MCAT in the spring.

I agree with you where you say that you can teach yourself Bio. That's probably true, you don't need to know a whole lot, you just need to understand it really really well. I didn't take Genetics, Microbio or Cell Bio and still ended up doing well in BS on the MCAT.

Also, he's right about timing. If you take MCAT in Spring (May at the latest) you can still apply reasonably early. Anything later than that is pushing it though. June might be the absolute latest.

I took my MCAT July 2 and submitted my AMCAS July 17. Yes, I am technically applying with a blind MCAT. However, I only submitted my application with one school that I knew I'd be applying to regardless of my score. This way my application was in the line to get verified and I wasn't wasting money on too many reach/safety schools. I also had two good months to dedicate solely to studying for the test which was extremely helpful. So my application will most likely be complete and verified by mid-august ... which is neither late nor early. Don't try to do to much at once just so you can apply early. A solid MCAT score is more important than getting your AMCAS in on June 2. Good luck either way!!