MCAT today. What's a sign that it's better to void the exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaizore12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guessing on 15 problems?

Members don't see this ad.

If you've taken a bunch of practice tests, then you'll know when you should void. Basically if it feels somewhat similar to your prac tests, do not void (unless prac tests <27). But if you didn't get close to finishing a section that you normally beast, then probably void.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've taken a bunch of practice tests, then you'll know when you should void. Basically if it feels somewhat similar to your prac tests, do not void (unless prac tests <27). But if you didn't get close to finishing a section that you normally beast, then probably void.

Basically this. I sincerely hope you're taking the exam in the afternoon, because sitting up all night on SDN or even studying is not going to do anything but hurt your score. Get a good night's sleep, eat a good breakfast, and if you feel like you totally **** the bed come submission time... maybe it's best to void the exam.

For what it's worth, I thought the real thing was much harder than any AAMC practice test I took, and I ended up with a 33, so don't be so quick to count yourself out.

I think that you need to go in with the expectation that voiding is NOT an option. You may feel tempted but you have no idea how it is graded. My suggestion is only void if you do not finish two passages, you end up with food poisoning and spend the verbal section in the bathroom, etc. I would also make sure that you are happy with the average of your practice exams because that's probably how you will do.

I averaged a 32 on my AAMC's, getting mostly 32's and 31's. However, the physics was absolutely brutal today. I could not understand anything for the first two passages. Verbal and Bio felt easier than all of the other AAMC's since I finished 20minutes early and double checked each answer. I'm scared that the PS will be a 7 or 8

I think that you need to go in with the expectation that voiding is NOT an option.
Agreed. I studied for mine and went into the test with the mindset of "you've got one shot at this, Chillbo. Make it count." I think having, "Well, if it's bad I can just void..." in the back of your mind might let you slack off just a hair and not make your mind go into clutch mode.

That said, kaizore, no one walks out the MCAT feeling like they rocked it. Try to relax over the next few weeks; you might end up pleasantly surprised!

Reactions: 1 user
I usually finished the full-length AAMCs with maybe 5/8/5 guesses in PS/VR/BS, respectively (guess = eliminate 1, maybe 2 wrong answers in my case. Not just randomly choosing). On my actual MCAT I felt as if I guessed on 15/12/10 (approximate). It was odd, because I was usually most confident with PS, as I was a chem major in college.

I still scored about the same as my average. But keep in mind that n=1 for this story.

I usually finished the full-length AAMCs with maybe 5/8/5 guesses in PS/VR/BS, respectively (guess = eliminate 1, maybe 2 wrong answers in my case. Not just randomly choosing). On my actual MCAT I felt as if I guessed on 15/12/10 (approximate). It was odd, because I was usually most confident with PS, as I was a chem major in college.

I still scored about the same as my average. But keep in mind that n=1 for this story.

Probably cause of the nerves. I had the same experience

I think that you need to go in with the expectation that voiding is NOT an option. You may feel tempted but you have no idea how it is graded. My suggestion is only void if you do not finish two passages, you end up with food poisoning and spend the verbal section in the bathroom, etc. I would also make sure that you are happy with the average of your practice exams because that's probably how you will do.
Agreed, I would never void unless I got sick during mid-test or something extreme that didn't allow me to really take the test. It is impossible to accurately judge how you did on the test during or even after the test, I personally thought I bombed a few subjects and was going to score a sub-30, I felt the desire to void the test since it felt so much incredibly worse than all my practices, instead I actually ended up scoring my highest score ever. Plenty of other people I know thought they did amazing, and ended up scoring lower, it just goes to show you really can't tell, so if you got through the whole test just go with the score you got, you can always retake if need be.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree you shouldn't void.

You paid to take it.
You drove to it.
You spent all the time studying and prepping.

You'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

But even if it's a little worse than you wanted--at least you have SOMETHING to show for all you paid and practiced and drove for.

I would only void if something catastrophic happens (sickness, intense diarrhea, missing 3 passages, etc.). Otherwise, have trust in your practice averages, it tends to be a very good predictor. I felt like I completely bombed when I finished but I got exactly my average.

Someone told me that if you managed to answer every question, even if you made a bunch of educated guesses you should score it.

My MCAT tutor told me that if you leave more than one passage blank, you should definitely void.

That might be a decent guideline to go by.

I had taken like 10+ practice exams & took the MCAT right around my peak practice section score was in the 11-13 range. But when I walked out of the exam I swore that I bombed the BS section which was generally my strongest section and I thought the VR section was super easy and I generally struggled in VR (it took me many months just to get my VR score >10) I circled around the score button until that last second and just said f*it I'm not gonna wuss out now... so then I moped around for four weeks & was telling everyone I knew how I totally failed the MCAT and my BS was prolly gonna be a 7.

Then 12/11/13 >>> 13 BS !!! ha! and I was about to void! BE CAREFUL OF YOUR FEELS RIGHT AFTER THE TEST. If you worked hard prep, trust yourself okay.

Reactions: 1 user