MCAT too low? Honest opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Retake?

• Total voters

Lily20

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that medical schools look into a variety of factors about each applicant like EC's LOCs, MCAT, GPA etc. But I just want to know how low is too low for an MCAT score alone. I took it last summer and got a 30 (9V, 10BS, 11PS). I'm a little worn out of analyzing all the different aspects of my application and trying to calculate if I can get away with that score by itself. I have a 3.5 GPA from UC Berkeley and I'm planning on applying next cycle. I have time, so technically I can re-take it, but I'd like to start working in San Francisco and move on to other gap year type activities. What does everyone think, is my score too low? Brutal opinions welcome.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on where you want to go to school. If you want to stay in California, you should maybe consider DO or retake for the MD schools. If you have decently good ECs, then I think you'll get at least a few acceptances if you apply broadly out of state. Good luck!

MSAR Online is your friend. You're competitive for at least 20 MD schools nationwide, and every DO school.

I know that medical schools look into a variety of factors about each applicant like EC's LOCs, MCAT, GPA etc. But I just want to know how low is too low for an MCAT score alone. I took it last summer and got a 30 (9V, 10BS, 11PS). I'm a little worn out of analyzing all the different aspects of my application and trying to calculate if I can get away with that score by itself. I have a 3.5 GPA from UC Berkeley and I'm planning on applying next cycle. I have time, so technically I can re-take it, but I'd like to start working in San Francisco and move on to other gap year type activities. What does everyone think, is my score too low? Brutal opinions welcome.

Thanks!