MCAT Verbal REASONING! ADVISE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FemaleDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have a question that i really need help with i am taking MCAT in may 08 2014. I been practicing different kind of questions and readings for verbal reasoning section.

recently, i read techniques from Princeton review book and EK. they are apposing each others techniques literally!!!!!!!!
please advise on this i know we have to find our own style in this section but the fact that EK verbal reasoning passage books says that we can bring out side world knowledge in this section doesn't sound right neither where it suggests that we get enough information in a question stem to answer it seems sensible... i am confused do we really apply our outside knowledge on it?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you be more specific?

You will not have any outside knowledge needed for the verbal reasoning. Everything you need to make an answer choice will be contained in the passage.

I mean you can try, but you will be tested on understanding and comprehending what an author is trying to communicate. It might be on blue whales. It might be on computer chips. It might be on potato chips. You don't study for the actual content; you study to understand it and break it down quickly and find the best answers.

you should never apply your outside knowledge when doing verbal.
in regards to your strategy, everyone has different strategies when it comes to verbal so you should just try all of them! find which one works best for you

Thank you :) yes I am sure u have read the EK on verbal if you took MCAT. its messing my mind up. it actually says enough information is given in the question stem to answer an individual question :/ instead of referring back. Anyone has used EK verbal?? What they think?