Mcat verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloudmurder1

Average Student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've heard horror stories galore about this, and I'd like to know if one can improve this score with 6 months plus worth of practicing. On the sat, i got 670 verbal the first time, but with a huge amount of verbal practice, I was able to get it to an 800. Would I be able to use the same strategy for the Mcat, or does the Mcat do a much better job for testing for raw intelligence and its verbal can't be learned? I'd be willing to start studying a year beforw I take the test for the verbal section if it'll do anything.

Members don't see this ad.

So I've heard horror stories galore about this, and I'd like to know if one can improve this score with 6 months plus worth of practicing. On the sat, i got 670 verbal the first time, but with a huge amount of verbal practice, I was able to get it to an 800. Would I be able to use the same strategy for the Mcat, or does the Mcat do a much better job for testing for raw intelligence and its verbal can't be learned? I'd be willing to start studying a year beforw I take the test for the verbal section if it'll do anything.

Take a practice test right now(one of the AAMC ones) and see where you stand. If you are way off where you want to be make a significant commitment towards active reading. If you have 1-2 years before taking the MCAT to do this, it can make a difference if you really make a significant commitment towards practice this every single day.

The MCAT itself is a reasoning test based on reading comprehension and applying concepts. The Verbal is no different. There are absolutely people on this forum and everywhere else who are able to improve their verbal score through learning how to develop a smart strategy, learning to understand what the verbal really tests and getting use to the types of questions and what constitutes a right and wrong answer. There is a limit on how much it can be improved yes. You won't find many people who start out in the 4-5 range jump to 12 on test day. There are others who study endlessly over long periods of times and still don't see significant improvement. But all you can do is give it your best. Nobody can give you the specific cut and dry answer you are looking for except yourself. I'm not big on comparing SAT reading scores to MCAT Verbals(totally different animals) but an 800 at the absolute very least indicates you have some baseline level of reading comprehension skill.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also used EK and I was able to improve my score from an 8 to an 11 over a period of ~3 months.

Just gotta practice and find a system that works for you. Went from 6 to 11