MCAT VR tips to get the last question correct

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstart108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started preparing for MCAT VR. I'm averaging 6/7 on passages and I am looking for something on top of the tips available in books like PR MCAT VR. I have about 7 months to prepare, what do you suggest I do to improve my score? I've noticed i tend to get more wrong on articles i don't read often (usually artsy, sociology, feeling, emotion type articles). I used to read a lot of news based magazines and I am a huge news reader usually spending at least 2 hours a day listening to or reading the news, but I don't read many novels. Should i read more novels or should I really start to just work on strategies for reading passages?

Is VR something you can really study for? I feel like when I'm doing passages I just do whats natural to me, i don't use a special MCAT strategy. Will using a sort of reading strategy work for someone who is getting most of the Qs right already?

Members don't see this ad.

So my VB scores are usually in the 10-13 range and I can tell you I don't use any particular kind of strategy other than elimination of wrong answer choices. I would suggest reading more of everything. Read a variety of articles rather than just news-based ones. I had problems with the philosophical and sociological type passages too so I tried to focus on reading about those topics.

I feel like you can't study for it but you just need to learn to look at the questions a certain way. Look at the questions you got wrong and understand why you got them wrong- what were you thinking and how was it different from how you should have been thinking. You have enough time to do it, you just have to get used to the way they're asking the questions! And make sure to do as many practice passages as you can.

Is VR something you can really study for? I feel like when I'm doing passages I just do whats natural to me, i don't use a special MCAT strategy. Will using a sort of reading strategy work for someone who is getting most of the Qs right already?

I'm the same way. I literally just read the passage and answer the questions. After studying for 4 months, I'm fairly certain that apart from getting your timing down, you can't really improve for VR once your score is consistently 10+. It seems like people just have a natural error rate that pretty much no amount of practice can overcome. You might be able to go from averaging 1 wrong per passage to averaging 0.75 per passage, but when you're only doing 7 passages per test, there's a huge variance in your possible scores.