mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strudel19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I definitely won't have time to study for the MCAT during junior year, don't want to take a gap year and want to make sure that my application isn't late, should I pair orgo and physics together next semester?

Members don't see this ad.

The only person who can answer this is you. Is it possible? Yes. People do it all the time, but it is not the norm. I took three physics classes at the same time as Orgo 1 and two at the same time as Orgo 2 (Physics major). This all comes down to your own assessment of your studying skills, ability to organize your schedule and general aptitude toward more problem solving based disciplines. People underestimate how much problem solving there is in Orgo. You can be dumb as rocks and simply be a good memorizor and pass orgo, but to really do well, you have to be able to problem solve. Since Physics is similar in that regard, if you don't have a general aptitude for it, you are going to be absolutely miserable and potentially hurt your grades significantly if you do them concurrently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses, they were helpful. I'm just confused with the new MCAT. There is psych, sociology, more biochem, etc. I don't know if I should kill my pre-reqs and take the MCAT next summer without taking any biochem, or wait and take the new MCAT.

Thanks for the responses, they were helpful. I'm just confused with the new MCAT. There is psych, sociology, more biochem, etc. I don't know if I should kill my pre-reqs and take the MCAT next summer without taking any biochem, or wait and take the new MCAT.

If you can realistically have your act together in time to take the old MCAT, you probably should do that. I'm betting the first 1-2 years of the new MCAT are going to be a ****show between them adjusting the test and a lack of prep materials.

See this is what I'm thinking. Just kill the pre-reqs, take genetics study this summer and rock the MCAT. I think given my situation with how much I work during the school year this will be my best chance.

If I definitely won't have time to study for the MCAT during junior year, don't want to take a gap year and want to make sure that my application isn't late, should I pair orgo and physics together next semester?

I did orgo and physics together. Worked out fine. I also took algebra based physics which, to me, was easier than my high school experience with calc based physics. This, of course, depends on your work ethic if you think you can handle orgo and physics together. At my undergrad, it was pretty normal for students to pair these two.

My sophomore year schedule had me taking Orgo with Physics (algebra based) and it was cake but I already took AP physics