Mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calibaby1212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm really scared I'm going to bomb the MCAT. Is there a chance of getting accepted into pod school with a low MCAT? Like does anyone know of someone who recently got accepted with a low score but was on par with everything else.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay so I'm really scared I'm going to bomb the MCAT. Is there a chance of getting accepted into pod school with a low MCAT? Like does anyone know of someone who recently got accepted with a low score but was on par with everything else.

You only need 22/45 to be considered compeitive Ina few schools

Which schools? And how abt the other schools? Is a 22 hard to get?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone clarify that to me please lol, I'm interested in ohio.

The schools don't pay me to provide that sort of information, so i could just tell you things I made up, or things I think are true but aren't.

If only there existed some department at the schools that dealt with admissions...like...an "admissions" department. You know, a place where people could go to ask questions about school-specific standards, and where the employees were well-informed and knowledgeable about these things...

:)

calibaby1212,

A troll is someone who posts on anonymous forums like SDN to either get a rise or make fun of people.

From the OCPM website:

The historical profile of an OCPM student indicates:
Overall GPA 3.20
Science GPA 3.10

MCAT Test Score 22 (total score, averaged)

As far as how hard a 22 is to get, it all depends on the individual. Some people could walk in cold and get a 22 and some people need to study months to get a 22. Figure out a study plan that works for you (I used SN2ed's study methodology) and stick with it. For reference, a 22 is 28.4-33.3 percentile of all MCAT test takers. Good luck!

Heh... I didn't know the percentages for a 22...

thanks guys for ur responses. now for ohio how one posted the mcat score is 22, is that average meaning some people, well im assuming many people, had scores around an 18? and has anyone ever taken the princeton review class?

Members don't see this ad :)
An average is an average... It says nothing of the spread of MCAT scores. If you are below it, just have something else outstanding that can compensate for a subpar score.

when I interviewed at ohio and was conditionally accepted my letter said a traditional student at ocpm will have a 21+. At the time I had not yet recieved my scores so I emailed admissions and was told if I scored <21 my app would be reevaluated and depending on its strengths and weaknesses I would either be accepted or rejected. I scored 25R and so I did not need to worry. How's that for your answer?

Sent from my SPH-D600 using SDN Mobile

People get in to pod schools with MCAT scores in the low 20s.

I talked to a dude that got an 18 and I think he's a P1 or P2 so....

The lower you aim, the lower you'll hit...

An average of a 22 with no other data means nothing except that everyone's scores added up and divided by the number of students was 22. Could mean every single student got a 22, or half got 21s, have got 23s. or that most got 21s and there was 1 out of 10 that got a 32.

Do your best on the MCAT and don't aim for a particularly low score...mentality during testing is a big factor, and self-fulfilling prophecies exist.

The lower you aim, the lower you'll hit...

An average of a 22 with no other data means nothing except that everyone's scores added up and divided by the number of students was 22. Could mean every single student got a 22, or half got 21s, have got 23s. or that most got 21s and there was 1 out of 10 that got a 32.

Do your best on the MCAT and don't aim for a particularly low score...mentality during testing is a big factor, and self-fulfilling prophecies exist.

Well put Bob. I went into the MCAT having taken 3 practice exams and not doing particularly well on any of them, (23, 16, 20) I knew I needed to do better than that. I kept studying, visualizing success, though it was very difficult due to my practice exams being so low, and came out of the test with a 25, now for MD/DO school that would not be particularly exciting, but for Pod school it can garner scholarships. Don't go in saying you need to get a 21 because then you'll be accepted at at least one or two school, go in saying you are going to get a good enough score to be attractive to all schools and get scholarships at some.

Well put Bob. I went into the MCAT having taken 3 practice exams and not doing particularly well on any of them, (23, 16, 20) I knew I needed to do better than that. I kept studying, visualizing success, though it was very difficult due to my practice exams being so low, and came out of the test with a 25, now for MD/DO school that would not be particularly exciting, but for Pod school it can garner scholarships. Don't go in saying you need to get a 21 because then you'll be accepted at at least one or two school, go in saying you are going to get a good enough score to be attractive to all schools and get scholarships at some.

I took a kaplan practice back in October and I did pretty well. Since then, I've taken Biochem and Genetics, so hopefully when I take the AAMC Practice Test (#3 fo' free!) tomorrow, I'll do even better. However, I've heard the Kaplan tests aren't very indicative of how well you'll actually do? Who knows.

I took a kaplan practice back in October and I did pretty well. Since then, I've taken Biochem and Genetics, so hopefully when I take the AAMC Practice Test (#3 fo' free!) tomorrow, I'll do even better. However, I've heard the Kaplan tests aren't very indicative of how well you'll actually do? Who knows.

Genetics is good to have for the mcat. All I had was my A&P, Historical Geology from 4 years ago(covered more genetics than A&P), and high school biology to call upon for genetics wisdom.

Genetics is good to have for the mcat. All I had was my A&P, Historical Geology from 4 years ago(covered more genetics than A&P), and high school biology to call upon for genetics wisdom.

Thousands of flies spanning several generations had to die for me to learn genetics...

from what i remember the AAMC #3 was the easiest exam by far, much easier than the actual MCAT. don't get too excited if it says you got a 34 lol.

Thousands of flies spanning several generations had to die for me to learn genetics...

Thats almost worthy of Neil deGrasse Tyson!!! It gives me chills to think about, oh the wonder and glory... lol

from what i remember the AAMC #3 was the easiest exam by far, much easier than the actual MCAT. don't get too excited if it says you got a 34 lol.

So if it says I got a 19, I should get REAL excited?? Hahaha, hoping for the 34....

Well.... I got a 26. The last time I took a practice (Kaplan) my score breakdown was terrible, but this time it was 8,9,9, So I'm happier about that.

Now I guess I have to study everything.... :(

Last edited:
OP, are you going to always shoot for subpar/par in life? I knew I was applying to pod school and knew what I needed but I still studied my ass off with a full schedule of classes and responsibilities, because I wanted to see what I could pull off at my absolute best...but maybe that's just me. And I just got my score yesterday which honestly is waaaaaaaay above pod school standards (not that that says anything). All I'm saying is if I had your mentality, I would've done horrible on the test..