MCATprep without full class schedule. Is that OK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaverfordSquirrel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

To give you quick context of my situation: I'm a junior preparing to for the 2017 med school application cycle. I technically began studying for the MCAT last June--but I didn't start hardcore, intense studying yet. Hopefully I'll take the MCAT in the spring (March the earliest, June at the latest).

So... for spring semester, I've been struggling with deciding if I want to take 4 semester-long courses (which constitutes a full student schedule at my college) or only taking 3 courses.
Question 1: I know that lacking a full class schedule can be a big red flag for med schools. If I'm pre-MD/PhD, would that be a bigger red flag I should avoid? Is taking a fewer class a very, very stupid idea to consider if I want to be a competitive applicant? I mean, I already took all the commonly known med school class requirements; now it's only about fulfilling my bachelor's and college graduation requirements.

Question 2: I tried to prep intensely for the MCAT during summer 2016, but having a full-time research position made me fail miserably. So the reason why I'm trying to take it during the school year is so that I can fill the next summer with a full-time research position again. How's my rationale on that, considering that I'm MD/PhD?

*Edit*
MORE CONTEXT: I am a biology major. For my 3-class schedule, I'd take Physics 2 plus lab, Evolution/Cell Architecture, and Molecular Biology Research Lab

Members don't see this ad.

If you can't balance a full UG course load AND studying for the MCAT, how on earth will you be able to handle med school coursework AND studying for Boards?????...because that train is coming for every med student. Med school will be 3-5x harder than anything you're dealing with now.

@Goro i don't like the sound of that. I'm in my gap year studying for the MCAT while working part time. So according to your post, even if I score a 515 on the MCAT it will be discounted and considered that I can't handle med school because I don't have the same work load as 2nd year med students studying for boards?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh, that's a different story. Non-trads have a life.

@Goro i don't like the sound of that. I'm in my gap year studying for the MCAT while working part time. So according to your post, even if I score a 515 on the MCAT it will be discounted and considered that I can't handle med school because I don't have the same work load as 2nd year med students studying for boards?

My biggest suggestion is TAKE THE MCAT ONLY WHEN YOU ARE READY. You still have winter break for some hardcore studying and you can decide how you want to approach the semester after that. I'd say keep the 4 classes and decide whether you need to drop a class if you need more time studying. I think you'd still be able to squeeze in 1-2 hours/day for MCAT studying even with 4 classes and you still have weekends for more study time. You just need to have very good time management skills.

My biggest suggestion is TAKE THE MCAT ONLY WHEN YOU ARE READY. You still have winter break for some hardcore studying and you can decide how you want to approach the semester after that. I'd say keep the 4 classes and decide whether you need to drop a class if you need more time studying. I think you'd still be able to squeeze in 1-2 hours/day for MCAT studying even with 4 classes and you still have weekends for more study time. You just need to have very good time management skills.

I tried doing exactly this last spring semester. Planned to take the MCAT in April when I had a class schedule of Biochemistry, Comparative Anatomy, Microbiology, an easy online course, and part time research. It was really difficult to make time for MCAT study with classes going on but it's doable. When it was February I realized I was no way in hell going to be ready in April, I rescheduled to June and readjusted my study schedule. That felt much more comfortable as I had a month after finals to study MCAT.

TL;DR: Tough, but doable. Especially if you take it early summer.

I tried doing exactly this last spring semester. Planned to take the MCAT in April when I had a class schedule of Biochemistry, Comparative Anatomy, Microbiology, an easy online course, and part time research. It was really difficult to make time for MCAT study with classes going on but it's doable. When it was February I realized I was no way in hell going to be ready in April, I rescheduled to June and readjusted my study schedule. That felt much more comfortable as I had a month after finals to study MCAT.

TL;DR: Tough, but doable. Especially if you take it early summer.
Lol I actually went through the same experience. I planned to take it April and realized I never had time to study so I took it in June instead. However OP, I've seen people study throughout the semester and they did quite well. It really depends on you and how much you need to study. But YOU ONLY TAKE IT WHEN YOU ARE READY, even if it means a gap year.