mcmumbi's podcasts for step II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Femtochemistry

Skunk Works
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

Anyone have any feedback on mcmumbi's podcast on iTunes? They are getting really good reviews on iTunes, so I was wondering what you guys think if you have used them in the past.

cheers:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I hadn't heard of this until your post, but they are awesome for people (like me) who commute a pretty long distance every day to the hospital.:)

It's basically a guy reading stuff from Crush (or was it Secrets...). *shrug* That said, I did listen to a few when I was doing stuff like scrubbing the bathroom or driving around. I'm surprised he hasn't been shut down for infringement of some kind.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,

Anyone have any feedback on mcmumbi's podcast on iTunes? They are getting really good reviews on iTunes, so I was wondering what you guys think if you have used them in the past.

cheers:thumbup:

I thought they really sucked. I listened to the first two and the guy read way too slow and he even got some of the details wrong. I didn't trust what he was emphasizing at all. I would get lectures from someone who knew what they were actually doing. This sounded like he didn't have a clue. Very low yield...

I thought they really sucked. I listened to the first two and the guy read way too slow and he even got some of the details wrong. I didn't trust what he was emphasizing at all. I would get lectures from someone who knew what they were actually doing. This sounded like he didn't have a clue. Very low yield...

He does occasionally make mistakes, but as far as I can tell, he corrects his errors in the podcast that follows.
I would definitely not call material from Crush and Secrets "low yield."

He does occasionally make mistakes, but as far as I can tell, he corrects his errors in the podcast that follows.
I would definitely not call material from Crush and Secrets "low yield."

Crush and Secrets are a great resource, not saying that they aren't. I'm just saying using this audio review is a waste of time. If you're going to use audio files, I would recommend using some from a professional source. I think that would be of much more value than a slow stuttering broadcast from some random individual who "emphasizes" that certain points will be on the exam regardless of the fact that he has not even taken it.

I don't mean to rip on this guy, I'm sure he has good intentions, but I believe the broadcasts in particular are low yield. You can read it much faster and without getting bored out of your mind. Each broadcast is way too long for small amount of material covered = low yield.

Besides, we don't even know what kind of score this guy is going to make. Would you like to learn from someone who scores <200 ? I think this source is risky at best and only of use if you can't find anything else or absolutely don't have the option of reading the book itself.

You can read it much faster and without getting bored out of your mind.

You can always read faster than a lecturer can talk - that is not a fair criticism of audio tapes. The point of audio isn't to replace reading -- it's to use them at times when you cannot read -- eg in the car, at the gym, out running etc. For this, low yield is usually better than no yield.

Reactions: 1 user
Crush and Secrets are a great resource, not saying that they aren't. I'm just saying using this audio review is a waste of time. If you're going to use audio files, I would recommend using some from a professional source. I think that would be of much more value than a slow stuttering broadcast from some random individual who "emphasizes" that certain points will be on the exam regardless of the fact that he has not even taken it.

I don't mean to rip on this guy, I'm sure he has good intentions, but I believe the broadcasts in particular are low yield. You can read it much faster and without getting bored out of your mind. Each broadcast is way too long for small amount of material covered = low yield.

Besides, we don't even know what kind of score this guy is going to make. Would you like to learn from someone who scores <200 ? I think this source is risky at best and only of use if you can't find anything else or absolutely don't have the option of reading the book itself.

I kinda like the fact that the broadcasts are long, it gives me some time to let the material sink in. Like Law2Doc said, it's definitely not something I'd use instead of Crush and Secrets, but in addition to them. I drove for three long hours today and learned a lot of GI on my commute.:D

I particularly like these podcasts because :
a. They're free. This has been a very expensive semester for me, so free=good.
b.They're based on Crush and Secrets, the only books I'm using to study except a little extra OB and an OMM text. I'm sure professional audio files would be a higher quality with no smalltalk, but they could also have a lot of low yield material.

I wonder how this guy did. He sounds like he used the creation of these podcasts as his studying.

:love: I was humbled, happy, angered, and overall felt all of your comments are right on the mark.

I googled mcmumbi, and that's how I discovered this discussion of my podcasts. So here's some trivial info:

I did make the podcasts as a study guide for myself, designed to be about 20-30 minutes each, to listen to while driving and walking to work. Then I figured why the hell not just put them out there? And if they benefit others, great! They can't harm. I wanted to give something back, and I think I have...of debatable value, but it's there. Forever, I might add. :)

Someone pointed out there are errors, and that's for sure true. I cringed often, especially after broadcasting them. It's also true that I corrected most errors subsequently.

They are free, mind you, and I did think about infringement, but I credited Crush on every (?) podcast. I have not gained anything from doing these, apart from some really cool messages from all over the country and all over the world from people who took the time to say the podcasts benefited them.

They worked, I did fine on the test, and I'm in a top 15 internal medicine program now, loving my job.

The test is a small piece of the whole picture of you as an applicant. I never had my test scores come up during an interview, and I interviewed in all four corners of the US.

Eh...in the end, if you listen to them, I hope they help. If you don't, you'll be fine. You've gotten this far, and it wasn't because of anything I did, for sure.

Oh, and I'm not doing one for step three. I don't have time!

All the best, my friends and colleagues.

mcmumbi
AKA Rob McDonald
Intern, Internal Medicine
University of Alabama at Birmingham

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
:love: I was humbled, happy, angered, and overall felt all of your comments are right on the mark.

I googled mcmumbi, and that's how I discovered this discussion of my podcasts. So here's some trivial info:

I did make the podcasts as a study guide for myself, designed to be about 20-30 minutes each, to listen to while driving and walking to work. Then I figured why the hell not just put them out there? And if they benefit others, great! They can't harm. I wanted to give something back, and I think I have...of debatable value, but it's there. Forever, I might add. :)

Someone pointed out there are errors, and that's for sure true. I cringed often, especially after broadcasting them. It's also true that I corrected most errors subsequently.

They are free, mind you, and I did think about infringement, but I credited Crush on every (?) podcast. I have not gained anything from doing these, apart from some really cool messages from all over the country and all over the world from people who took the time to say the podcasts benefited them.

They worked, I did fine on the test, and I'm in a top 15 internal medicine program now, loving my job.

The test is a small piece of the whole picture of you as an applicant. I never had my test scores come up during an interview, and I interviewed in all four corners of the US.

Eh...in the end, if you listen to them, I hope they help. If you don't, you'll be fine. You've gotten this far, and it wasn't because of anything I did, for sure.

Oh, and I'm not doing one for step three. I don't have time!

All the best, my friends and colleagues.

mcmumbi
AKA Rob McDonald

Thank you very much for doing the podcasts for Step 2.:)

:rolleyes:

I have been driving thousands of miles for residency interviews and MCMUMBI came through in the clutch. Listen to these while you are driving and he covers crucial associations that are less than intuitive and otherwise instantly forgettable when you're just scanning over them in a table in First Aid (e.g.: TCA overdose - bicarb). He's the Goljan of Step 2. A good 10-15% of USMLEWorld questions are based purely on the simple stuff he goes over. There are errors here and there but they are obvious, glaring, and corrected in subsequent casts.

Congrats on a low-tech and effective study device for the travelers/iPoders out there, McMumbi. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, Rob,

Where can I find your podcasts? Can u post the link?

I heard good reviews from some of my friends who listened to them.

It seems like there are always critics out there, but your podcasts will help a lot more students.

Thanks. Good luck in IM residency.

Hi, Rob,

Where can I find your podcasts? Can u post the link?

I heard good reviews from some of my friends who listened to them.

It seems like there are always critics out there, but your podcasts will help a lot more students.

Thanks. Good luck in IM residency.

Search for mcmumbi on itunes

i listened to one and i was just irritated. i guess its the tone of voice and the content, they dont jive. He sounds very intelligent but there were some info that were so basic that he didnt even know so i guess it scared me more than anything. just my input. to those who enjoy it...great!

mcmumbi
AKA Rob McDonald

Thanks for sharing these for free. Looks like a lot of hard work.

I sampled a few of them and they seem to be decent. At least the audio is much better than the Step 2 Goljan files :)

As you requested in your OB-GYN audio, I'd like to post to say "these are fantastic"! Also, thanks for putting them in mp3 format instead of some protected format which would only play on iPods.

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
I'm driving at least 2 hours a day during my current rotation and I've been listening to both Mcmumbi and psych cds from the Osler Institute. I have to say that after listening to both, I have a deeper appreciation for the Mcmumbi podcasts. I paid about $500 for the Osler cds and there's at least as much chit chat if not more than on the free Mcmumbi podcast!

I searched "mcmumbi" on the iTunes store and downloaded the podcast, but all I'm getting is a 20 minute errata lecture. Am I missing something? I was hoping for lectures on individual topics...

I've had to drive almost 3 hours a day to my rotation this month and I've found them useful. I've had some of the stuff come up when getting pimped and it was really helpful to have it in my head already.:thumbup:

I discovered McMumbi via discussions here and I also have had mixed results. I walk to almost all of my rotation sites, so it's good to prep a little on the way in and review on the way home. Are there some errors - yes, and they kill me sometimes. But the hypertension podcast is on the money and I looked like a superstar when my FM clerkship director started pimping me on the JNC guidelines.

Here I am a couple of years later. I was testing out Microsoft's new Bing.

I'm fancied by the comments that my podcasts generated.

Yeah there are mistakes. I am pretty sure we all make them, yeah? And some of them are egregious.

My turn to shrug.

For those who benefit, that makes me happy.

For those who see them as dangerous; I'm laughing.

For all who've given them a shot, thanks!

I wanted to give something back, as a thank you to Medicine for the privilege of being able to learn medicine. On balance, I feel like I have.

And incidentally, the images library I refer to in the podcast is located at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mcmumbi/USMLEIIImages

All the best to you.

Rob McDonald
Soon to be PGY2
Internal Medicine
University of Alabama Health System

Hey Rob,

I'm taking the real thing in two days, and I've been listening to your podcast for the past few months. They are golden! Having a background in music, I consider myself more of an auditory individual, and I've benefited quite a bit from listening, and they've been great companies. Thanks again for your effort, and to everyone out there in SDN land, I highly recommend it!:thumbup:

Thank you so much for the podcasts Rob!! Because of them, I have been able to maintain basic sanitation at my house and take my dogs for an occasional walk!

I can get a list of mcmumbi podcasts to show up on itunes. But I cannot access any of them. Can someone help me? I click the free button..no good. I click the arrow..no good....i am taking my exam in less than a month and could use some help.

thanks depakote, but that link is dead also, when you click play it doesnt load, same happens when you try to download

When I click on this link, I NOW get garageband. I cannot seem to locate his mp3's. I have downloaded McMumbi mp3's from garage band before to my computer. I am wondering if it is a glitch in the merger between Ilike and Garageband?

30 days till my test, so would appreciate some help accessing McMumbi's podcast.
I cannot get to them on Itunes or any other link on the internet when I google.

WOuld love to have these play on my drive each morning....anyone get these to work through itunes?

McMumbi's audios seem to disappear last week when the link in the audio step 2 thread (which had linked to garageband) suddenly became ILIKE (which claims garageband does not interface with them anymore). The problem is garageband.com I am certain. The mp3's are there and that is where all the links directed to.

Can someone contact garageband or help us out in any way?

We need some brainstormers to help us get mcmumbi's step 2 audio podcasts back up on here.

Anyone out there who has the mp3 files downloaded to their machine (or McMumbi himself?) have the ability to post them here for others to download directly? I'd love to get them so I can start listening too. Thanks!

Also, what alternatives are out there?

these are not all of them...does anyone know where to find the complete list.
much appreciated, thanks

Some is definitely better then none, but can someone that already downloaded them upload them again somewhere for the rest of us?? Thanks!!

Some is definitely better then none, but can someone that already downloaded them upload them again somewhere for the rest of us?? Thanks!!

So, I exchanged a couple of emails with mcmumbi regarding the set of podcasts that no longer work on iTunes. I asked him to re-upload the files but sadly got no response.

So I guess we are all still hoping someone else has the complete set out there.

Does anyone have these podcasts? I was able to find about 50 or so online after hours of searching but not all of them. If anyone could send me in the right direction i would really appreciate it.
Thanks