McNair Description? PLEASE HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DazeN11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up my amcas and I have a quick question...

I am a Ronald E. McNair scholar. When I started this program, I was determined to apply MD/PhD. However, through this program and with experience in research/UCSD SURF program, I decided that I want to do an MD with focus on research.

I am currently finishing my primary (I know, it's late...) and I used most of my description for McNair to explain my change in heart.

QUESTION: Does McNair need a description as to what this program is? Basically, it's helping underserved students get into graduate school, learn about research, become involved in it, etc. But, I don't know if this is necessary as it's a national program and I've used the characters allowed in a different manner.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your project description, importance, goals and level of responsibility are more important and salient points.

I was one for PhD prep, obviously went another direction. I described my project on my application not the program, it was nothing more than a one word mention. Tell them what you accomplished, you're not doing a pitch to help lobby to fund the program.

Also, the program is meant for anyone who might not ordinarily have the tools to get into a doctorial program. I only make this distinction because underserved has a specific meaning in medicine applications.

I am finishing up my amcas and I have a quick question...

I am a Ronald E. McNair scholar. When I started this program, I was determined to apply MD/PhD. However, through this program and with experience in research/UCSD SURF program, I decided that I want to do an MD with focus on research.

I am currently finishing my primary (I know, it's late...) and I used most of my description for McNair to explain my change in heart.

QUESTION: Does McNair need a description as to what this program is? Basically, it's helping underserved students get into graduate school, learn about research, become involved in it, etc. But, I don't know if this is necessary as it's a national program and I've used the characters allowed in a different manner.

Thank you!
While McNair is a national program, interviewers come from all walks of life and everyone won't necessarily recognize it. You might consider listing your McNair Scholar status under Awards/Honors with a brief description and criteria for selection, maybe paraphrasing the goal of the organization: "It is designed to prepare undergraduate students for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities. McNair Scholars are either first-generation college students with financial need, or members of a group traditionally underrepresented in graduate education and have demonstrated strong academic potential."

Then list your Research and Posters/Presentations experience separately. I don't think you need to mention your "change of heart" which is evident from your choice of AMCAS programs. But do have an answer ready for an interview question that might hit on your choice for MD-only programs that centers more on the positives regarding your change in career goals and not on the negatives of research.

I agree with the points that @ruedjgtc made.

Members don't see this ad :)
While McNair is a national program, interviewers come from all walks of life and everyone won't necessarily recognize it. You might consider listing your McNair Scholar status under Awards/Honors with a brief description and criteria for selection, maybe paraphrasing the goal of the organization: "It is designed to prepare undergraduate students for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities. McNair Scholars are either first-generation college students with financial need, or members of a group traditionally underrepresented in graduate education and have demonstrated strong academic potential."

Then list your Research and Posters/Presentations experience separately. I don't think you need to mention your "change of heart" which is evident from your choice of AMCAS programs. But do have an answer ready for an interview question that might hit on your choice for MD-only programs that centers more on the positives regarding your change in career goals and not on the negatives of research.

I agree with the points that @ruedjgtc made.

Thank you both! @ruedjgtc and @Catalystik

I will leave out the changing my mind part!

This has lead me to a different question. When I joined McNair, I was already 2.5 years into research. So, I had my project and was working through it, but McNair provided extra funding. Because of this, I had the research project that I worked on while in McNair listed separately and a slot for McNair. Should I keep them separate? An activity just for the research and one for McNair (I feel like this would be repeating myself). Or, should I list McNair as an 'award/recognition'. My reservation here is that I have about 20+ scholarships/awards that I have received through out college. Most of these being special recognition and I had to earn them. I'm at a loss for what to do here.

Again, thank you!

This has lead me to a different question. When I joined McNair, I was already 2.5 years into research. So, I had my project and was working through it, but McNair provided extra funding. Because of this, I had the research project that I worked on while in McNair listed separately and a slot for McNair. Should I keep them separate? An activity just for the research and one for McNair (I feel like this would be repeating myself). Or, should I list McNair as an 'award/recognition'. My reservation here is that I have about 20+ scholarships/awards that I have received through out college. Most of these being special recognition and I had to earn them. I'm at a loss for what to do here.
An embarrassment of riches, indeed!

Options, any of which are legit:

-Use two spaces, one for McNair info under Awards/Honors and one for the related Research.
-Have a Research space plus include the McNair-related grant along with other Honors/Awards.
-Have a Research space and add at the end that you got a grant through McNair during the third year of the project.
-Don't mention McNair at all, as you seem to have been doing just fine before you got involved with it.