MCPHS WORCESTER PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sure. You can message or ask here.

Forgot to mention that first semester is mainly concept and memorization. Second semester is more math based. I'd say the hardest class IMO for the first semester was probably health care and physiology. ALL or MAJORITY of the exams are K type based with questions like:

Which of the following is/are cofactors in stage 1 of the citric acid cycle:

I. TPP
II. FAD
III. NAD

a. I
b. III
c. I and II
d. II and III
e. I, II and III

You have to really think the question through before answering. Some people are good and some people aren't that great with these type of exams. Some professors generally make the first exam the hardest and then gets easier and some make their first exam the easiest and then gets harder. Your best bet is to review each of the materials each day for couple hours and stay on task for each class. NEVER study the night before for an exam because there is just too much information to cram. Give your brain some time to rest and get a good night sleep before the exam otherwise you will get exhausted and won't be able to remember when it comes to the exam. During the exam, you will be assigned a seat. Seats numbers are generally posted ON the day of the exam. After you finish the exam, theres a sheet on the back of the exam where you can write down all your answers so that you can match it with answer key that will be posted by the professor. You will never get the exam back so the only way to see what you got wrong is either you write down your answers or go to the review session.

Once again, the school is very fast pace and its easy to get overwhelmed by the material. On average theres going to be at least 2 exams per week; sometimes 1 and sometime 3. Also, try to be active by joining clubs, run a position and go to events to meet new people and such.

That's all I can think of for now. Questions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, any of you who accepted. The deposit was $750 by credit card or by mailing a check? Thanks.

Sure. You can message or ask here.

Forgot to mention that first semester is mainly concept and memorization. Second semester is more math based. I'd say the hardest class IMO for the first semester was probably health care and physiology. ALL or MAJORITY of the exams are K type based with questions like:

Which of the following is/are cofactors in stage 1 of the citric acid cycle:

I. TPP
II. FAD
III. NAD

a. I
b. III
c. I and II
d. II and III
e. I, II and III

You have to really think the question through before answering. Some people are good and some people aren't that great with these type of exams. Some professors generally make the first exam the hardest and then gets easier and some make their first exam the easiest and then gets harder. Your best bet is to review each of the materials each day for couple hours and stay on task for each class. NEVER study the night before for an exam because there is just too much information to cram. Give your brain some time to rest and get a good night sleep before the exam otherwise you will get exhausted and won't be able to remember when it comes to the exam. During the exam, you will be assigned a seat. Seats numbers are generally posted ON the day of the exam. After you finish the exam, theres a sheet on the back of the exam where you can write down all your answers so that you can match it with answer key that will be posted by the professor. You will never get the exam back so the only way to see what you got wrong is either you write down your answers or go to the review session.

Once again, the school is very fast pace and its easy to get overwhelmed by the material. On average theres going to be at least 2 exams per week; sometimes 1 and sometime 3. Also, try to be active by joining clubs, run a position and go to events to meet new people and such.

That's all I can think of for now. Questions?
Do you live on campus, i came by the school last week and i was only there for an 1 or so and i had to pay 6 dollars for parking, i asked some of the students there and they said the school only has parking for students that live on campus.... where does the commuters park at this school. and do you know the cost of living in a dorm there and how is it, living on campus, i heard there was no mean plan is that true too....
Thanks for taking the time and answering our questions

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you live on campus, i came by the school last week and i was only there for an 1 or so and i had to pay 6 dollars for parking, i asked some of the students there and they said the school only has parking for students that live on campus.... where does the commuters park at this school. and do you know the cost of living in a dorm there and how is it, living on campus, i heard there was no mean plan is that true too....

Yes, I do live on campus. Parking is not just for people who live on campus. It's for all students who attends MCPHSU. So even if you live off campus, you can still park on campus lot. However, you should apply ASAP because its generally first come first serve and the cost is $150 per semester I believe. (Its a lot cheaper than parking at Major Taylor lot which cost about $80/month.)

Aside from campus lot, you can either choose to park at Major Taylor lot which is about 5-10 min walk away from school or park at the meters, which some of my friends do since they always arrive to class late and theres usually meters right outside of school. There are other parkings out there thats available that I just don't know about.

The cost of living on campus depends on the location. I believe there are about 5 different dorms scattered throughout the area but the only 2 I know about is Foster and Lincoln. I currently live in Lincoln and I pay about $2600/semester. It's pretty much a hotel room where they provide you with a bed (either 1 full or 2 full, or queen size or king size), a desk, few lamps, a refrigerator and a bathroom. I believe 3rd and 4th floor are not renovated so the dorm rooms are a lot cheaper than the ones on floor 5-9. Because those are renovated, they are generally couple hundred dollars more. The rooms are almost the same except they look nicer (rug, picture frame, desk, lamps, bathroom).

Foster is much more expensive to live at and you pretty much share an apartment with 2, 3 or 4 other people. You each do get your own separate rooms however and you are provided with a kitchen, a living room and a bathroom. The cost is about $3000 - $4000 (don't quote me on that) per semester. Foster is more convenient to live at since the classroom is right across the street. But if you don't mind walking from Lincoln to Foster, which is about a 5-10 min walk, and save a couple hundreds, and you get to have your own hotel room, than I would choose Lincoln (which I currently live at). Although the cost of living on campus does cost much more than living off campus, its convenient in the sense that there are study areas, computer rooms and access to printers. Its good for people who prefer to study on campus and not have to walk back home in the middle of the night. Its also nice to have access to printers too since you don't know when you might want to print something for class and generally, you will need to do alot of printing. You also get $100 print on your school ID.

In terms of meal plans, I don't think they offer those for dorm residence unless you are an ESL students. Yes, they have ESL classes here at MCPHS.

I hope I answered your questions...

Yes, I do live on campus. Parking is not just for people who live on campus. It's for all students who attends MCPHSU. So even if you live off campus, you can still park on campus lot. However, you should apply ASAP because its generally first come first serve and the cost is $150 per semester I believe. (Its a lot cheaper than parking at Major Taylor lot which cost about $80/month.)

Aside from campus lot, you can either choose to park at Major Taylor lot which is about 5-10 min walk away from school or park at the meters, which some of my friends do since they always arrive to class late and theres usually meters right outside of school. There are other parkings out there thats available that I just don't know about.

The cost of living on campus depends on the location. I believe there are about 5 different dorms scattered throughout the area but the only 2 I know about is Foster and Lincoln. I currently live in Lincoln and I pay about $2600/semester. It's pretty much a hotel room where they provide you with a bed (either 1 full or 2 full, or queen size or king size), a desk, few lamps, a refrigerator and a bathroom. I believe 3rd and 4th floor are not renovated so the dorm rooms are a lot cheaper than the ones on floor 5-9. Because those are renovated, they are generally couple hundred dollars more. The rooms are almost the same except they look nicer (rug, picture frame, desk, lamps, bathroom).

Foster is much more expensive to live at and you pretty much share an apartment with 2, 3 or 4 other people. You each do get your own separate rooms however and you are provided with a kitchen, a living room and a bathroom. The cost is about $3000 - $4000 (don't quote me on that) per semester. Foster is more convenient to live at since the classroom is right across the street. But if you don't mind walking from Lincoln to Foster, which is about a 5-10 min walk, and save a couple hundreds, and you get to have your own hotel room, than I would choose Lincoln (which I currently live at). Although the cost of living on campus does cost much more than living off campus, its convenient in the sense that there are study areas, computer rooms and access to printers. Its good for people who prefer to study on campus and not have to walk back home in the middle of the night. Its also nice to have access to printers too since you don't know when you might want to print something for class and generally, you will need to do alot of printing. You also get $100 print on your school ID.

In terms of meal plans, I don't think they offer those for dorm residence unless you are an ESL students. Yes, they have ESL classes here at MCPHS.

I hope I answered your questions...
Hi,
How about eating? Can you cook in your room?
Thanks,

For Lincoln dorm, they provide you with a microwave. Although they told us not to bring any other cooking materials, some students still bring a skillet, crockpot, rice cooker, etc. Just hide them when they do room check which is usually towards the end of each semester or they announce it.

In Foster dorm, you have a kitchen.

I just applied to this school on March 1st...would i be too late??

Hi! Have you made up your mind about attending mcphs worcester?
I actually changed my mind. I will be attending mcphs this fall and will be commuting from the Boston area.

I just applied to this school on March 1st...would i be too late??

You applied late, but if you have a competitive gpa and some pharmacy experience, I am sure they will offer you an interview. Good luck!

3.1 overall and science
2 years of reserach
chem degree
1.5 yrs as a pharm tech
and tons of leadership and volunteer exp.

we shall see what happens..

3.1 overall and science
2 years of reserach
chem degree
1.5 yrs as a pharm tech
and tons of leadership and volunteer exp.

we shall see what happens..
Everything seems great except for your GPA though. But anyways best of luck. I will call MCPHS to cancel my interview so you may get my spot :)

Everything seems great except for your GPA though. But anyways best of luck. I will call MCPHS to cancel my interview so you may get my spot :)
Yeah my
Gpa was a struggle but i write really well

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Have you made up your mind about attending mcphs worcester?
I actually changed my mind. I will be attending mcphs this fall and will be commuting from the Boston area.
yes i sent in my deposit because the other school i got accepted in was all the way in California.... i am now worried about parking and living situation because i am thinking of getting an apartment off campus but i want to be close enough that i can walk.

yes i sent in my deposit because the other school i got accepted in was all the way in California.... i am now worried about parking and living situation because i am thinking of getting an apartment off campus but i want to be close enough that i can walk.
would you mind sharing what CA school you got accepted to?

hey Guys,
i Applied Jan 21st.
3.7 overall and science
1 year of research
Biotechnology degree
Riteaid Pharmacy Employee
I still haven't heard back from MCPHS. is it too early to expect to hear back from them. did any of you guys contact the admission staff and do a follow-up on your application?

I interviewed here and got accepted back in December since it was the first school I got into. I just got my acceptance letter to Western University here in California so I'm giving up my spot. Good luck to you all!! Don't lose hope :)

Bancroft and Skymark are relatively close to school. About 10 minute walk or so to school. Its about the same distance from Lincoln to Foster.

For Lincoln dorm, they provide you with a microwave. Although they told us not to bring any other cooking materials, some students still bring a skillet, crockpot, rice cooker, etc. Just hide them when they do room check which is usually towards the end of each semester or they announce it.

In Foster dorm, you have a kitchen.
Thanks

hey Guys,
i Applied Jan 21st.
3.7 overall and science
1 year of research
Biotechnology degree
Riteaid Pharmacy Employee
I still haven't heard back from MCPHS. is it too early to expect to hear back from them. did any of you guys contact the admission staff and do a follow-up on your application?

I submitted my application January 8th and emailed the admissions after pharmCAS sent my application to MCPHS to see if they received my application. Admissions told me I would hear back within a few weeks. I heard back January 31. Hope that helped.

I submitted my application January 8th and emailed the admissions after pharmCAS sent my application to MCPHS to see if they received my application. Admissions told me I would hear back within a few weeks. I heard back January 31. Hope that helped.
By heard back do you mean you got an interview?or just that your application was considered complete?

By heard back do you mean you got an interview?or just that your application was considered complete?

I got a letter to be invited for an interview on January 31 and had the interview the next week. So I would contact admissions and see what's up with the status of your application.

I got a letter to be invited for an interview on January 31 and had the interview the next week. So I would contact admissions and see what's up with the status of your application.
may i ask whom did you contact because i have emailed two people so far but have not yet heard back from them. i would really appreciate it.

may i ask whom did you contact because i have emailed two people so far but have not yet heard back from them. i would really appreciate it.

email the director of admissions. He might not respond but he will probably have an assistant respond for him.

Just call the admissions office. They will be able to tell you the status of your application

Has anyone received the "award letter" email yet? I met with Lynn Berry today, and he told me I should be receiving mine next week

Just call the admissions office. They will be able to tell you the status of your application
i called them today and they were super nice. thank you!
one more question if you know:
i have taken bunch of upper elective biology classes like biotechnology, immunology, biochem ,etc. do you if these are counted toward General biology II? i never took organismal biology! i am kinda freaked out!!!!

i called them today and they were super nice. thank you!
one more question if you know:
i have taken bunch of upper elective biology classes like biotechnology, immunology, biochem ,etc. do you if these are counted toward General biology II? i never took organismal biology! i am kinda freaked out!!!!
I could be wrong, but you will need Gen. Bio I and II w/ lab. When they send you an interview invite, they will let you know which courses are missing on the pre requisite sheet. Good luck!

GOT MY ACCEPTANCE LETTER!!! Anyone know of the price range on decent apartments in the surrounding area?

I got my award letter n they only gave me 35,000 in unsubsidized loans but tuition is about 48,000 I called n they told me I had to apply for some other federal loan... plus something I am not sure the full name, anyway has anybody else ever had to do this n how do I apply

I got my award letter n they only gave me 35,000 in unsubsidized loans but tuition is about 48,000 I called n they told me I had to apply for some other federal loan... plus something I am not sure the full name, anyway has anybody else ever had to do this n how do I apply
You received a good amount of unsubsidized loan so don't worry. I think they told you about the Direct Grad Plus Loan. The direct grad plus loan is different than the unsubsidized loan with different interest rates. When you completed the fafsa application, you also completed the grad plus loan. I Think it's still early for the grad plus, but I could be wrong. Go to studentloans.gov and you will find a request for grad plus button which is supplemental connection to your application. When completing this form you will see award year at the top of the page but the 2014-2015 does not show which means it's still early to apply. You will also find completing counseling, MPN, and other stuff. You will have to do a separate MPN for the Grad plus in addition to the MPN for the unsubsidized loan. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey everyone!
I have been accepted as well and now deciding on whether I should attend this University compared to other ones - Can anyone tell me how is this school ranked compared to other pharmacy schools? Also, is the program doable and are the faculty helpful? I would be coming from Colorado so it would be a big change for me. Thanks!

You received a good amount of unsubsidized loan so don't worry. I think they told you about the Direct Grad Plus Loan. The direct grad plus loan is different than the unsubsidized loan with different interest rates. When you completed the fafsa application, you also completed the grad plus loan. I Think it's still early for the grad plus, but I could be wrong. Go to studentloans.gov and you will find a request for grad plus button which is supplemental connection to your application. When completing this form you will see award year at the top of the page but the 2014-2015 does not show which means it's still early to apply. You will also find completing counseling, MPN, and other stuff. You will have to do a separate MPN for the Grad plus in addition to the MPN for the unsubsidized loan. Good luck!
I didn't get my award letter should I be worried ? Did everyone get theirs?

The school's financial aid people are friendly. I'm sure they can answer your question.
Thank you .. It looks like I filled the wrong fafsa app for the wrong school year :( I feel really stupid

Hey Guys!

I applied a bit late for this school. (almost a week before the deadline) and I am worried it might have been a bit too late.

*Overall gpa 3.79
*a ton of work experience
-research assistant for 1 year
-chemistry lab assistant for 4 years
-TA for chem and bio labs for four years
-70 hrs of volunteer at a hospital

My main concern is I do not have any pharmacy related experience. What are my chances?
Any feedback will be appreciated:)

Last edited:
Hey guys, so I am probably early but do you guys know when we will have to get our immunizations and drug test done? Before the school year starts...

I don't think this school participates with drug screening. The immunizations just have to be done prior to the beginning of the semester I believe.

Hey Guys!

I applied a bit late for this school. (almost a week before the deadline) and I am worried it might have been a bit too late.

*Overall gpa 3.79
*a ton of work experience
-research assistant for 1 year
-chemistry lab assistant for 4 years
-TA for chem and bio labs for four years
-70 hrs of volunteer at a hospital

My main concern is I do not have any pharmacy related experience. What are my chances?
Any feedback will be appreciated:)
I think you have a pretty good chance! I had my interview on January 31 st and was accepted a week later - these are my stats just to help you a bit:
Overall gpa: 3.4
Biology gpa: 3.6
Chemistry gpa: 3.3
Math gpa: 3.7
2 years pharmacy tech experience
7 years assistant manager at a dental office
30 hours volunteer at a hospital
Bachelors in Accounting
Beyond horrible PCAT score! Although pcat is not required I think they still see it on the application

*It's awesome that you have lab and research assistant experience! That looks really good on your application.
Good luck!

Does anyone know if there is a facebook page for class of 2017?

Hey guys I am a P3 at Worcester campus and I am graduating this coming May, I have a lot of stuff to sell, furniture, books, notes, TV..etc.. let me know if you are interested and if you live around Worcester area you can come and see them first and if you like them buy them, send me a txt or give me a call at 408-504-6482, or send me an email if you have any question regarding the program and my stuff.
I have a brand new Principles of Biochemistry 5th edition which I am selling it for $70.
I have a HP printer with unlimited ink ( external tank of ink)( I already printed more that 15,000 pages) and it still can print more than 30,000 extra pages. I am selling it for $100.
I have a Xbox 360 250gb with Kinect sports games which is great to calm you down instead of going to the gym. ($250)
I have desk, office chair, TV, couch.
let me know if you are interested, I can send pictures as well.
the program is awesome, it is a lot of work but if you focus and study you should not have any problem.
try to study the US healthcare system course a head of time since it is the toughest course you will have the first semester.
any background in bio-chem and physiology is a plus.
there will be a lot of jobs when you graduate, in my class (2014) everybody got a job with salaries of more than $100,000.
I am working at Target Pharmacy and I know they are hiring interns and techs, if you need some info let me know.
good luck and I hope to hear from some of you guys soon.

I think you have a pretty good chance! I had my interview on January 31 st and was accepted a week later - these are my stats just to help you a bit:
Overall gpa: 3.4
Biology gpa: 3.6
Chemistry gpa: 3.3
Math gpa: 3.7
2 years pharmacy tech experience
7 years assistant manager at a dental office
30 hours volunteer at a hospital
Bachelors in Accounting
Beyond horrible PCAT score! Although pcat is not required I think they still see it on the application

*It's awesome that you have lab and research assistant experience! That looks really good on your application.
Good luck!

Thank you! although still haven't heard from them :( Who should I contact for that?

Thank you! although still haven't heard from them :( Who should I contact for that?
I would contact the admissions office - they are super nice and will let you know the status of your application - Their phone number is 508-373-5607

As of March 17th 2014, there will be no more video recorded lectures. I am not sure if they mention anything about video lecture recorded during the interviews

As of March 17th 2014, there will be no more video recorded lectures. I am not sure if they mention anything about video lecture recorded during the interviews
do you know why that is? and are they at least going to post the lecture slides online somewhere? I hear that come times the professor is in Manchester and Worcester students watch the lecture on t.v, how is that going to work now?
Thanks for keeping us up to date