MCPHS WORCESTER PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys I am a P3 at Worcester campus and I am graduating this coming May, I have a lot of stuff to sell, furniture, books, notes, TV..etc.. let me know if you are interested and if you live around Worcester area you can come and see them first and if you like them buy them, send me a txt or give me a call at 408-504-6482, or send me an email if you have any question regarding the program and my stuff.
I have a brand new Principles of Biochemistry 5th edition which I am selling it for $70.
I have a HP printer with unlimited ink ( external tank of ink)( I already printed more that 15,000 pages) and it still can print more than 30,000 extra pages. I am selling it for $100.
I have a Xbox 360 250gb with Kinect sports games which is great to calm you down instead of going to the gym. ($250)
I have desk, office chair, TV, couch.
let me know if you are interested, I can send pictures as well.
the program is awesome, it is a lot of work but if you focus and study you should not have any problem.
try to study the US healthcare system course a head of time since it is the toughest course you will have the first semester.
any background in bio-chem and physiology is a plus.
there will be a lot of jobs when you graduate, in my class (2014) everybody got a job with salaries of more than $100,000.
I am working at Target Pharmacy and I know they are hiring interns and techs, if you need some info let me know.
good luck and I hope to hear from some of you guys soon.

I'm probably going to enroll in the Fall and I have a question. Where there are a lot of jobs available to P3s in industry? Or were they few and far between. I don't really see myself doing a residency or going retail. Would really appreciate any information, thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

me are probably going to enroll in the Fall and me have a question. Where there are a lot of jobs available to P3s in industry? Or were they few and far between. me don't really see myself doing a residency or going retail. Would really appreciate any information, thanks in advance.
I don't know about industry but there are a lot of jobs in retail as far as I know, also a lot of my friends got residency

Does anyone know how we can receive more loans? I applied for FAFSA and only got approved for $20,000 , which doesn't even cover the tuition :nailbiting::bored:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how we can receive more loans? I applied for FAFSA and only got approved for $20,000 , which doesn't even cover the tuition :nailbiting::bored:
I guess you can apply for grad plus student loan or private loans

nvm.. still too early for grad plus.

Last edited:
I gave up my spot today (decided to go with Northeastern) good luck whoever is on the wait list

I gave up my spot today (decided to go with Northeastern) good luck whoever is on the wait list
That's cool! Congrats! Northeastern is a great school
I just got some scholarship from Mcphs, and it sure made my day...

Just finished 7 finals in 5 days.... Your second semester will be crazy! But material is easier than the first semester... First p1 semester is said to be the second hardest semester at MCPHS. (Spring of P2 year being the first) good luck guys!

Reactions: 1 user
Just finished 7 finals in 5 days.... Your second semester will be crazy! But material is easier than the first semester... First p1 semester is said to be the second hardest semester at MCPHS. (Spring of P2 year being the first) good luck guys!
Oh wow that makes me nervous!! :-s Do you have any tips for studying or perhaps getting ready before the semester starts?

oy anyone need a roommate?? this housing prices out there are outrageous!!!

Hey guys I am a P3 at Worcester campus and I am graduating this coming May, I have a lot of stuff to sell, furniture, books, notes, TV..etc.. let me know if you are interested and if you live around Worcester area you can come and see them first and if you like them buy them, send me a txt or give me a call at 408-504-6482, or send me an email if you have any question regarding the program and my stuff.
I have a brand new Principles of Biochemistry 5th edition which I am selling it for $70.
I have a HP printer with unlimited ink ( external tank of ink)( I already printed more that 15,000 pages) and it still can print more than 30,000 extra pages. I am selling it for $100.
I have a Xbox 360 250gb with Kinect sports games which is great to calm you down instead of going to the gym. ($250)
I have desk, office chair, TV, couch.
let me know if you are interested, I can send pictures as well.
the program is awesome, it is a lot of work but if you focus and study you should not have any problem.
try to study the US healthcare system course a head of time since it is the toughest course you will have the first semester.
any background in bio-chem and physiology is a plus.
there will be a lot of jobs when you graduate, in my class (2014) everybody got a job with salaries of more than $100,000.
I am working at Target Pharmacy and I know they are hiring interns and techs, if you need some info let me know.
good luck and I hope to hear from some of you guys soon.

Can I get more information about interning at Target? I'm new to this site so I didn't know how to message you privately.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone here currently living in a 6-person type A dorm at 25 Foster?
Do you really get your own room even though you're rooming with so many people? :0

Yes you get your own separate rooms though I do not exactly know how big the rooms are. You share a bathroom, kitchen and a living room. If you live at Lincoln square, you get a whole hotel room to yourself. It includes a bed (king, queen, full) a bathroom a desk, fridge and microwave. There is no kitchen however.

I received a letter last week saying that I was accepted and then when I call to get more info they told me that they had made a mistake due to a glitch in the system so now I am back to being waitlisted. Has anyone had the same experience?

I received a letter last week saying that I was accepted and then when I call to get more info they told me that they had made a mistake due to a glitch in the system so now I am back to being waitlisted. Has anyone had the same experience?
Omg. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I can only imagine. Not sure if I have heard anything like that, but I really hope you get in.

thats some bs. i hope hey do accept you!

EDIT: Apartment no longer available

Last edited:
As of March 17th 2014, there will be no more video recorded lectures. I am not sure if they mention anything about video lecture recorded during the interviews
As of March 17th 2014, there will be no more video recorded lectures. I am not sure if they mention anything about video lecture recorded during the interviews

Do you know why? I am very curious as to why the change

Can anyone tell me what textbook we need for the U.S. Healthcare & Public Health Systems class? I'd like to order it beforehand. Thanks.

Consider other options before going to MCP. The failing rate is way too high, but it will only get worse. They will make it harder and harder to graduate every year. When students attend MCP, few like it, most hate it, some don't even care. They've established a ESL program too, which technically makes it a 4 year program from some students. After all, business is still business.

Can anyone tell me what textbook we need for the U.S. Healthcare & Public Health Systems class? I'd like to order it beforehand. Thanks.
The list of books to buy are on the web advisor page. The books needed for U.S. health care are :
Understanding Health Policy Edition: 6th -- Author: Bodenheimer Edition: 6th
and
Intro to Public Health (w/NavigateCompanion Access) Edition: 4th -- Author: Schneider

Consider other options before going to MCP. The failing rate is way too high, but it will only get worse. They will make it harder and harder to graduate every year. When students attend MCP, few like it, most hate it, some don't even care. They've established a ESL program too, which technically makes it a 4 year program from some students. After all, business is still business.

"established a ESL program too, which technically makes it a 4 year program from some students" What do you mean? The pharmD program is 3 years so i'm not sure what you mean. can you explain how ESL plays a role here.

The program seems tough but it's doable. Please correct me if I am mistaken, but I would assume one would fail because he/she didn't manage time or study hard enough. And I just looked over Naplex and saw the pass rate for both 2012/2013. The pass rate seems low for 2013 and high for 2012. It all depends on the year.

Last edited:
So I'm looking into getting a job when I get to campus but i'm a bit scared because i've heard you need time to adjust with the new busy schedule. Does anyone know whether it will be too much to juggle between work and the classes? Thanks!

So I'm looking into getting a job when I get to campus but i'm a bit scared because i've heard you need time to adjust with the new busy schedule. Does anyone know whether it will be too much to juggle between work and the classes? Thanks!

Based on our class schedule I think it'll be tough to work. I've heard that the coursework is pretty rigorous. My main concern is that we're not able to intern in the summer, which can affect our job prospects in the future.

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a female roommate for the manchester campus.
If you are interested please let me know! ;)

I just have a quick question! MCPHS has two different campus at worchester and manchester? are they different schools?
also how about boston? i am so confused!

three different campuses that I believe you need to apply individually

are you willing to leave California the sunshine state?

I just have a quick question! MCPHS has two different campus at worchester and manchester? are they different schools?
also how about boston? i am so confused!

three different campuses that I believe you need to apply individually

are you willing to leave California the sunshine state?

i am willing to stay in ca but i am still applying many oos since my gpa isnt competitive while my pcat is high
i know mcphs doesnt look at pcat but i was just wondering

thanks!

Hello all, I graduated from MCPHS wor a few months ago. I would like to clarify some rumors. Out of my class (2014), only 7 to 10% dropped out. Many of them did so for personal reasons such as changing to medical/dental school, sick family member, rather than flat out failing. The failing rate only seems high because people treat it like undergrad and still try to party. THIS IS NOT A PARTY SCHOOL!!!!! If you are willing to work hard and study, you will pass. For me, I formed a small study group of 4-5 people and we would review topics after most classes. I lived off campus, spent 1:30 hours on the road each day, was a B to C student in the hard sciences in undergrad, and still graduated MCPHS with a 3.0 gpa. Yes, the 2nd year is extremely difficult and I got a lot of Ds. However the first and third year are good gpa boosters

Work hard and learn how to handle each class. Reading every sentence in the assigned reading will get you overwhelmed. Ask the previous year students for their notes and tips, keep on top of the material and you will pass. The minimum GPA needed is a 2.2 to finish this program. If you are getting below that, you would not be ready to take the Naplex anyway

Hello all, I graduated from MCPHS wor a few months ago. I would like to clarify some rumors. Out of my class (2014), only 7 to 10% dropped out. Many of them did so for personal reasons such as changing to medical/dental school, sick family member, rather than flat out failing. The failing rate only seems high because people treat it like undergrad and still try to party. THIS IS NOT A PARTY SCHOOL!!!!! If you are willing to work hard and study, you will pass. For me, I formed a small study group of 4-5 people and we would review topics after most classes. I lived off campus, spent 1:30 hours on the road each day, was a B to C student in the hard sciences in undergrad, and still graduated MCPHS with a 3.0 gpa. Yes, the 2nd year is extremely difficult and I got a lot of Ds. However the first and third year are good gpa boosters

Work hard and learn how to handle each class. Reading every sentence in the assigned reading will get you overwhelmed. Ask the previous year students for their notes and tips, keep on top of the material and you will pass. The minimum GPA needed is a 2.2 to finish this program. If you are getting below that, you would not be ready to take the Naplex anyway

Hey, Thanks for this comment.
I was very worried about school's dropout rate but this makes it very clear to me.
I saw class of 2013 Naplex rate, it was little bit low compared to past years I was wondering if anything changed from that year.
How's this year's Naplex rate so far? Also did everyone found a position in pharmacy field?

I do not know this year's naplex pass rate. So far I do know 2 people in my class failed but one of them did not seriously prepare for the exam, the other person was a foreign student and not so adept at english. Everyone else I knew passed. Please note that not everyone releases their naplex scores to the school either. (I passed naplex but i was too lazy to authorize it, i know....my bad)

Also, if you want to get a head start on therapuetics, which is the hardest class, getting a used RXprep book may be helpful. It has everything you need to pass the naplex too and the calculations chapter (100 pages) and SDN120 questions will be more than enough to pass the math based class in P1 year.

Reactions: 1 users
I do not know this year's naplex pass rate. So far I do know 2 people in my class failed but one of them did not seriously prepare for the exam, the other person was a foreign student and not so adept at english. Everyone else I knew passed. Please note that not everyone releases their naplex scores to the school either. (I passed naplex but i was too lazy to authorize it, i know....my bad)

Also, if you want to get a head start on therapuetics, which is the hardest class, getting a used RXprep book may be helpful. It has everything you need to pass the naplex too and the calculations chapter (100 pages) and SDN120 questions will be more than enough to pass the math based class in P1 year.

thanks, I'll look into that :)

btw, do we need to bring our family members to the white coat ceremony?

I called MCPHS and asked if we could bring family members for the white coat ceremony last week, and they told me that because there will be so many students from the Worcester and Manchester campus that family is not allowed. :(

I called MCPHS and asked if we could bring family members for the white coat ceremony last week, and they told me that because there will be so many students from the Worcester and Manchester campus that family is not allowed. :(
oh so no family members..... that's sad :(
maybe bc we have like 300 students -_-;

So I just scheduled an interview here. I didn't want to pick a date that was too late because of rolling admissions, so I went with the end of October. But just in case I don't hear back from other schools by the time I have to make a deposit (assuming I get in), I was wondering if anyone here could tell me how much the deposit is. And should I pick an earlier/later date?

Hey guys, I have seen some posts saying that avoid MCPHS (I dont know why)

If anyone who is currently in MCPHS or have graduated, what is your opinion on that? Please share, any opinions are greatly appreciated !! :)

So I just scheduled an interview here. I didn't want to pick a date that was too late because of rolling admissions, so I went with the end of October. But just in case I don't hear back from other schools by the time I have to make a deposit (assuming I get in), I was wondering if anyone here could tell me how much the deposit is. And should I pick an earlier/later date?
The deposit is $750 --- If you want to reserve a dorm spot it's an extra $250 deposit

didn't your mom ever teach you not to lie.

I just finished by first semester at MCPHS - Worcester and I am going to be brutally honest about how I feel about the program:

Before applying to this school, I read all the nasty things about it on theses forums (and other sites) and I honestly didn't believe them. I thought anyone saying nasty things about MCP must be bitter or lazy. I only applied to two pharmacy schools, MCPHS Worcester and UConn. I was accepted to MCPHS right away and conditionally accepted to UConn (they asked me to take biochemistry on their campus over the summer because they wouldn't accept my 3-credit UMass biochem). The ultimate reason I decided to attend MCPHS over UConn was because I wouldn't have to spend the summer retaking biochemistry. Another "pro" to MCPHS was it's only 20 minutes from my family's home, so I could commute and save tens of thousands of dollars in student loans. I regret my decision to attend MCPHS over UConn. I wish I hadn't been so lazy and cheap, and I wish I had believed the comments I read online about the program.

MCPHS Worcester will pretty much accept anyone into the accelerated pharmD program. Worcester is the dumping ground for all the undergrads from the Boston campus who were rejected from the Boston PharmD program. During orientation, I met a handful of students who were literally accepted that very day and HAD NOT COMPLETED ALL OF THE PREREQUISITE COURSES FOR THE PROGRAM. I am not over exaggerating in the slightest. As the semester progressed, more and more students became aware of this "bending of the rules" and those of us who actually took all of the required courses were PISSED. I completed by bachelor's at UMass Amherst, and getting into pre-health courses was nearly impossible and I had to take a couple 20+ credit semesters to make sure I completed everything on time. Years before I applied to MCPHS I talked with the admissions folks several times and they told me they could absolutely not make exceptions to the prerequisites. Right off the bat, I felt betrayed by MCPHS, I felt scammed. And it only got worse.

Supposedly, you need a 1.5 cumulative GPA to progress from one semester to the next, and a 2.2 to graduate. However, as long as you did not fail and class and are not on financial aid, they will let you continue. All this school cares about is $$$$$$$$$. I do not know if this is the case at all pharmacy schools, but the more people I chat with about my dislike for MCPHS, the more I find out how scummy this program really is. Mass. College of Pharmacy USED to be considered a good school 15+ years ago but this had drastically changed.

As for the classes, the instructors are very hit-or-miss. In general, the "hard science" professors (PhDs) are significantly more professional, trustworthy, organized, pleasant, and knowledgable than the pharmacy practice professors (PharmDs). Some of the pharmacy practice professors literally graduated from MCPHS 2 years ago and are essentially useless. I was expecting a more well established pharmacy practice department considering MCPHS is the "second oldest pharmacy school in the country" (they will remind you of every day, as if it matters and should make you feel better about getting ripped-off). All of the professors at this school are very honest about how horrible the job market for pharmacists is becoming, and ironically MCPHS is contributing to this problem immensely.

I hope anyone who is considering MCPHS Worcester will believe me when I say DON'T GO HERE. Suck it up and take the couple of extra prerequisite courses required by the more reputable PharmD programs. I love pharmacy and I am pulling good grades here so I'm going to stick it out, but I sure do wish I hadn't sold myself short by deciding to attend MCPHS Worcester.

Is anyone a P2 that can give advice or tips on the therapeutics class? Anything I can do beforehand to be prepared? I will be a P1 in the fall. Thanks in advance.

I applied to Worcester- Accelerated PharmD program and I am wondering how the program works. I understand it is 2 years of in class, 10 months rotations. Do we get any breaks at all? (i.e.: thanksgiving, christmas break, any time/week off in the summer time?)
Thank you

What's SDN 120 and where could I get the Rxprep book?

I applied to Worcester- Accelerated PharmD program and I am wondering how the program works. I understand it is 2 years of in class, 10 months rotations. Do we get any breaks at all? (i.e.: thanksgiving, christmas break, any time/week off in the summer time?)
Thank you
They have an academic calendar for the 2015-2016 year up on their website already, so you can see what holidays they have off, when finals are, etc. I was told during my interview that the longest break would be winter break. There would be no summer break because you go straight through the material for summer I and summer II sessions. I believe there is a week off between spring semester and summer semester though.

Is anyone a P2 that can give advice or tips on the therapeutics class? Anything I can do beforehand to be prepared? I will be a P1 in the fall. Thanks in advance.
you dont need to worry that far in advance. you wont have therapeutics until fall of p2. From my personal experience, p1 should be focusing on physiology in the fall, immunology in the spring, self-care and ppp lab in the summer. if need extra info, you can inbox me.

Vanessa