2018 MCPHS - WORCESTER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissPiggy309

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I tried to look for MCPHS-Worcester forum this application cycle but I couldn't find one. So, here you are! Feel free to ask questions, post stats, and chat. Good luck to everyone! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when they start interviewing ??

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA 3.88 no degree.
This is my last choice.

Got the acceptance letter today! Sooo happy!!! :soexcited:Good luck everyone!

hi guys! just wondering how long after submitting the pharmcas app. did you hear from mcphs?? :)

When was your application verified?[/QUOTE
For all of you who want to know, this is my application process:
E-Submitted 08/27
Verified: 9/18
Chose MCPHS on 09/22 (I chose other schools when I e-submitted )
Got the interview invite letter on 10/02
Interviewed: 10/14
Got accepted: 10/17

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 11/17, so far not heard anything. Will update.

I interviewed on 11/17, so far not heard anything. Will update.
how was your interview? i got an invite via snail mail last month... but still deciding if i should go or not. what are you thoughts of the school?? are you from out of state?

how was your interview? i got an invite via snail mail last month... but still deciding if i should go or not. what are you thoughts of the school?? are you from out of state?
I did enjoy my interview! It was with a professor, and it was kind of informal; very different from other schools I've interviewed. It is very relaxed, but you just need to be on your guard to remain professional. You'll also have to write an essay (30 mins, although I was given extra time). My impression of the school is mixed. It is a good school, with an established legacy, but it is a huge class, and an accelerated program. If you are ok with that, I'll say go for it. I am from CT, so not that far from me.

Congratulation to all of you who got accepted. If you have any question, feel free to ask.
For those of you who has never taken 6-7 Courses/ Semester, it will be a pain in the rear but don't worry, you'll get used to it eventually, provided that you have to work your a** off and sacrifice your precious weekend (most of the time, except for a few occasion).

If you have time now, please work on the following:
+Top 200 drugs
+ Read Understanding Health Policy - Sixth-Edition ahead of time (it's the only textbook you need for the 1st Semester). A lot of people fails this course. Watch out!!!
+ Pharmacy Law - easy class and you will love this professor (super nice and funny) but the material might be a bit overwhelming. Please read ahead these materials
1/ http://www.mass.gov/courts/case-legal-res/law-lib/laws-by-source/cmr/200-299cmr/247cmr.html (Mass Law)
2/ https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/parti/titlexv/chapter94c (Mass Law)
3/ https://secure.in.gov/pla/files/DEA_Pharmacist_Manual.pdf
....some more material he will provide you in class.
It will make your semester fly by a lot smoother.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone, so I just got my acceptance letter from MCPHS today. My first one, i was very excited! I already to go to college in Worcester, and will be graduating in the spring, so I already know the area fairly well. I have a 3.8 prereq. GPA and roughly a 3.73 science GPA. I am a little torn though because I have heard mixed reviews about the college, and wanted to make sure that I am picking the right school.

I am pretty stressed out because MCPHS needs to know my decision by next month, and I was waiting to hear back from UCONN. I just called the lady at UCONN (my top choice) about the status of my application, and she said that they likely do not do interviews until late february/march, so I have no clue what to do. I wish MCPHS wasn't rolling admission so badly :(.

Anyone have guidance for me on this situation? It would be gratly appreciated!

Hey everyone, so I just got my acceptance letter from MCPHS today. My first one, i was very excited! I already to go to college in Worcester, and will be graduating in the spring, so I already know the area fairly well. I have a 3.8 prereq. GPA and roughly a 3.73 science GPA. I am a little torn though because I have heard mixed reviews about the college, and wanted to make sure that I am picking the right school.

I am pretty stressed out because MCPHS needs to know my decision by next month, and I was waiting to hear back from UCONN. I just called the lady at UCONN (my top choice) about the status of my application, and she said that they likely do not do interviews until late february/march, so I have no clue what to do. I wish MCPHS wasn't rolling admission so badly :(.

Anyone have guidance for me on this situation? It would be gratly appreciated!

I just finished my first semester at MCPHS - Worcester and I am going to be brutally honest about how I feel about the program:

Before applying to this school, I read all the nasty things about it on theses forums (and other sites) and I honestly didn't believe them. I thought anyone saying nasty things about MCP must be bitter or lazy. I only applied to two pharmacy schools, MCPHS Worcester and UConn. I was accepted to MCPHS right away and conditionally accepted to UConn (they asked me to take biochemistry on their campus over the summer because they wouldn't accept my 3-credit UMass biochem). The ultimate reason I decided to attend MCPHS over UConn was because I wouldn't have to spend the summer retaking biochemistry. Another "pro" to MCPHS was it's only 20 minutes from my family's home, so I could commute and save tens of thousands of dollars in student loans. I regret my decision to attend MCPHS over UConn. I wish I hadn't been so lazy and cheap, and I wish I had believed the comments I read online about the program.

MCPHS Worcester will pretty much accept anyone into the accelerated pharmD program. Worcester is the dumping ground for all the undergrads from the Boston campus who were rejected from the Boston PharmD program. During orientation, I met a handful of students who were literally accepted that very day and HAD NOT COMPLETED ALL OF THE PREREQUISITE COURSES FOR THE PROGRAM. I am not over exaggerating in the slightest. As the semester progressed, more and more students became aware of this "bending of the rules" and those of us who actually took all of the required courses were PISSED. I completed by bachelor's at UMass Amherst, and getting into pre-health courses was nearly impossible and I had to take a couple 20+ credit semesters to make sure I completed everything on time. Years before I applied to MCPHS I talked with the admissions folks several times and they told me they could absolutely not make exceptions to the prerequisites. Right off the bat, I felt betrayed by MCPHS, I felt scammed. And it only got worse.

Supposedly, you need a 1.5 cumulative GPA to progress from one semester to the next, and a 2.2 to graduate. However, as long as you did not fail and class and are not on financial aid, they will let you continue. All this school cares about is $$$$$$$$$. I do not know if this is the case at all pharmacy schools, but the more people I chat with about my dislike for MCPHS, the more I find out how scummy this program really is. Mass. College of Pharmacy USED to be considered a good school 15+ years ago but this had drastically changed.

As for the classes, the instructors are very hit-or-miss. In general, the "hard science" professors (PhDs) are significantly more professional, trustworthy, organized, pleasant, and knowledgable than the pharmacy practice professors (PharmDs). Some of the pharmacy practice professors literally graduated from MCPHS 2 years ago and are essentially useless. I was expecting a more well established pharmacy practice department considering MCPHS is the "second oldest pharmacy school in the country" (they will remind you of every day, as if it matters and should make you feel better about getting ripped-off). All of the professors at this school are very honest about how horrible the job market for pharmacists is becoming, and ironically MCPHS is contributing to this problem immensely.

I hope anyone who is considering MCPHS Worcester will believe me when I say DON'T GO HERE. Suck it up and take the couple of extra prerequisite courses required by the more reputable PharmD programs. I love pharmacy and I am pulling good grades here so I'm going to stick it out, but I sure do wish I hadn't sold myself short by deciding to attend MCPHS Worcester.

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished my first semester at MCPHS - Worcester and I am going to be brutally honest about how I feel about the program:

Before applying to this school, I read all the nasty things about it on theses forums (and other sites) and I honestly didn't believe them. I thought anyone saying nasty things about MCP must be bitter or lazy. I only applied to two pharmacy schools, MCPHS Worcester and UConn. I was accepted to MCPHS right away and conditionally accepted to UConn (they asked me to take biochemistry on their campus over the summer because they wouldn't accept my 3-credit UMass biochem). The ultimate reason I decided to attend MCPHS over UConn was because I wouldn't have to spend the summer retaking biochemistry. Another "pro" to MCPHS was it's only 20 minutes from my family's home, so I could commute and save tens of thousands of dollars in student loans. I regret my decision to attend MCPHS over UConn. I wish I hadn't been so lazy and cheap, and I wish I had believed the comments I read online about the program.

MCPHS Worcester will pretty much accept anyone into the accelerated pharmD program. Worcester is the dumping ground for all the undergrads from the Boston campus who were rejected from the Boston PharmD program. During orientation, I met a handful of students who were literally accepted that very day and HAD NOT COMPLETED ALL OF THE PREREQUISITE COURSES FOR THE PROGRAM. I am not over exaggerating in the slightest. As the semester progressed, more and more students became aware of this "bending of the rules" and those of us who actually took all of the required courses were PISSED. I completed by bachelor's at UMass Amherst, and getting into pre-health courses was nearly impossible and I had to take a couple 20+ credit semesters to make sure I completed everything on time. Years before I applied to MCPHS I talked with the admissions folks several times and they told me they could absolutely not make exceptions to the prerequisites. Right off the bat, I felt betrayed by MCPHS, I felt scammed. And it only got worse.

Supposedly, you need a 1.5 cumulative GPA to progress from one semester to the next, and a 2.2 to graduate. However, as long as you did not fail and class and are not on financial aid, they will let you continue. All this school cares about is $$$$$$$$$. I do not know if this is the case at all pharmacy schools, but the more people I chat with about my dislike for MCPHS, the more I find out how scummy this program really is. Mass. College of Pharmacy USED to be considered a good school 15+ years ago but this had drastically changed.

As for the classes, the instructors are very hit-or-miss. In general, the "hard science" professors (PhDs) are significantly more professional, trustworthy, organized, pleasant, and knowledgable than the pharmacy practice professors (PharmDs). Some of the pharmacy practice professors literally graduated from MCPHS 2 years ago and are essentially useless. I was expecting a more well established pharmacy practice department considering MCPHS is the "second oldest pharmacy school in the country" (they will remind you of every day, as if it matters and should make you feel better about getting ripped-off). All of the professors at this school are very honest about how horrible the job market for pharmacists is becoming, and ironically MCPHS is contributing to this problem immensely.

I hope anyone who is considering MCPHS Worcester will believe me when I say DON'T GO HERE. Suck it up and take the couple of extra prerequisite courses required by the more reputable PharmD programs. I love pharmacy and I am pulling good grades here so I'm going to stick it out, but I sure do wish I hadn't sold myself short by deciding to attend MCPHS Worcester.

I couldn't agree with you more and I am a P3 in the accelerated PharmD program. As you progress through the program, I can promise you that it will only get worst. With all the $$$ that this school cheats out of you through tuition, you will start to see new programs and new buildings popping up annually because all this school cares about is how to increase their profit and revenue. You will see increased expenses on your tuition bill and new charges every semester but yet, the quality of the education goes down as well. Once they start the program, most students realized the issues you post about but it's not cost-effective to just quit and reapply to another program so many just suck it up and try to get out ASAP. My only advice for newly admitted students in this program is if there are other options available, really dig into the pros and cons of each school and talk to current students before u decide on putting that deposit down. Good luck everyone!

Hello everyone! I tried to look for MCPHS-Worcester forum this application cycle but I couldn't find one. So, here you are! Feel free to ask questions, post stats, and chat. Good luck to everyone! :luck:

I got a letter to interview this past Thursday and I was wondering what the 30min writing sample is like. Also any tips on how to succeed with the one on one interview with a faculty professor?

I couldn't agree with you more and I am a P3 in the accelerated PharmD program. As you progress through the program, I can promise you that it will only get worst. With all the $$$ that this school cheats out of you through tuition, you will start to see new programs and new buildings popping up annually because all this school cares about is how to increase their profit and revenue. You will see increased expenses on your tuition bill and new charges every semester but yet, the quality of the education goes down as well. Once they start the program, most students realized the issues you post about but it's not cost-effective to just quit and reapply to another program so many just suck it up and try to get out ASAP. My only advice for newly admitted students in this program is if there are other options available, really dig into the pros and cons of each school and talk to current students before u decide on putting that deposit down. Good luck everyone!
How much is tuition for u at this point ? Is it still 46k flat rate ?

Does anyone know if mcphs-worcester usually has a long waiting list?

I applied for the PharmD program back in December and got scheduled an interview for February. Did you get an interview yet? I'm not sure whether there's a long waitlist. Depends if people are giving up their seat or if there's room left. I would contact the admissions office.

I applied for the PharmD program back in December and got scheduled an interview for February. Did you get an interview yet? I'm not sure whether there's a long waitlist. Depends if people are giving up their seat or if there's room left. I would contact the admissions office.

Does anyone know how many students are typically accepted into Worcester?

Hi everyone, I am a current MCPHS Worcester P2 student, please message me with any questions that you have!

I just graduated from MCPHSU- Worcester this may and I passed my naplex on my first try. This school is not a cake walk, you have to be serious and studious to make it in this program. This program will test your mental, physical and emotional abilities in every aspect. If you go there, study hard and you'll be fine.

I just got accepted to MCPHS Worcester and was wondering if life in general sucks there? I mean, it is a fact that it is expensive but what else is there that people don't like? Method of education? area? professors?

I just got accepted to MCPHS Worcester and was wondering if life in general sucks there? I mean, it is a fact that it is expensive but what else is there that people don't like? Method of education? area? professors?
How long did you hear back from the school?

Hey beelee, they called me for the interview maybe from 3 to 4 weeks after my application was done.

Hey beelee, they called me for the interview maybe from 3 to 4 weeks after my application was done.
Thanks for answering :) After the interview, how long do you have to wait for the decision?

Thanks for answering :) After the interview, how long do you have to wait for the decision?

I was interviewed by phone on a Friday, and I received my acceptance letter a little over a week after. How is your process going so far? When did you submit your pharmCAS app?

I was interviewed by phone on a Friday, and I received my acceptance letter a little over a week after. How is your process going so far? When did you submit your pharmCAS app?
I just had my interview last Monday. It is weird that you had interview over the phone. Do you live out of states?

I just had my interview last Monday. It is weird that you had interview over the phone. Do you live out of states?
Can I ask how long it took for you to receive postal mail of interview invitation since you got the email from Admissions Office? I got the email that they were reviewing my app two weeks ago, and I am waiting for the postal mail.

Yes I do live out of state, they are trying to speed up the process. Would you mind telling me how the area around the school is? Safe? How is the building? I'm planning to live on campus! I wish you the best of luck!

Can I ask how long it took for you to receive postal mail of interview invitation since you got the email from Admissions Office? I got the email that they were reviewing my app two weeks ago, and I am waiting for the postal mail.
I received the postal mail for the interview in about 5 weeks. but I heard other people receive the interview invitation in 3 to 4 weeks. I think it depends on when you send your app.

Yes I do live out of state, they are trying to speed up the process. Would you mind telling me how the area around the school is? Safe? How is the building? I'm planning to live on campus! I wish you the best of luck!
The school is right in downtown so you may have problem finding a parking spot. The school looks nice and new. The faculty only showed me the classroom for P1; it looks not too big, not too small. I didnt have a chance to see the library and housing options so I couldn't tell you any of that. I saw a hospital and couple hotels next by the school. Because the school is located right in downtown so it may seems little crowded. overall it looks safe and a good area to study and focus. Hope that help

Hello,
I submitted my application on Feb 28 for fall 2016 admission. Anyone know how long it will take to hear back from MCPHS Worcester for an interview? I know the application submission was right at the deadline so I'm curious to see where I would fall in line with the applications that have been submitted earlier than mine. I have pretty decent stats: 3.48 GPA, eight years of pharmacy tech experience, and six years as a pharmacy tech manager. Can someone please help me with these questions?

Hello everyone,

Just have a quick question, Is it possible to transfer from the Worcester campus to the Boston campus?

Hello,
I submitted my application on Feb 28 for fall 2016 admission. Anyone know how long it will take to hear back from MCPHS Worcester for an interview? I know the application submission was right at the deadline so I'm curious to see where I would fall in line with the applications that have been submitted earlier than mine. I have pretty decent stats: 3.48 GPA, eight years of pharmacy tech experience, and six years as a pharmacy tech manager. Can someone please help me with these questions?
It usually takes about two weeks to hear from them via snail mail. I don't know if this gives you an enough time to get an interview. With your GPA you should apply to the Boston campus. Good luck.

I ha
It usually takes about two weeks to hear from them via snail mail. I don't know if this gives you an enough time to get an interview. With your GPA you should apply to the Boston campus. Good luck.[/QUOT
I got my interview invite about a week ago and my interview is set for Friday 4/29. Why do you think I should apply to the Boston campus with my GPA? Is the GPA not that great for Worcester?

It usually takes about two weeks to hear from them via snail mail. I don't know if this gives you an enough time to get an interview. With your GPA you should apply to the Boston campus. Good luck.
They sent me an interview invite about a week ago and my interview is on Friday 4/29. Why do you think I should apply to the Boston campus based on my GPA?