MCPHS Worcester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have an interview coming up in a couple of weeks can someone please tell me what types of questions I should expect?
Good luck on your interview! If you go to the top of this page and go into Articles and Interviews, then Pharmacy Interview Feedback you can find feedback from people that have already interviewed. Just look for MCPHS in the list of schools. I used this to prepare for mine.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to sublet my room at Skymark Towers (about 0.5 miles from MCPHS) for September and October this year when I'll be off at rotations. All of the furniture is provided. I live on the 20th floor with a beautiful view and we keep the apartment super clean. You'll have to share a bathroom. It's only a 10 minute walk from MCPHS and super close to a grocery store, CVS, and any food places or bars if that's your style. I'm looking for $500/month including utilities and internet. If you're interested, please email me at [email protected] with some information about yourself.

Thanks,

Bryan Nguyen

I am looking for an apartment for my family (my wife, 2 children, and me)

Any recommendations? Safety and distance are important factors for me.

Which area should I check? north/south and west/east of school?

Thanks!

Being from the Worcester area, I would recommend anything in the Tatnuck/West Side area. I would consider Chandler Street safe if it's located beyond 412 Chandler Street. I wouldn't recommend anything in walking distance of the school safe, especially if you have young children. Surrounding towns, such as Paxton, Holden and Auburn are typically safe and takes about 15 - 25 minutes by car. You can also check out the Salisbury area but those are houses are typically more expensive (approximately $2000 / month).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys,

I am wondering if anyone who got accepted was asked to pay $15 for criminal background check (CBC) as requested by mcphs. The email and service were done by student edition certiphi. I got email from them 2 days ago and wanted to know if anyone ran into that situation too. They said in their email that completing the CBC as part of conditional acceptance.

Not sure if it is real or just another spam mail.

Please let me know and thanks
VAN

Hello guys,

I am wondering if anyone who got accepted was asked to pay $15 for criminal background check (CBC) as requested by mcphs. The email and service were done by student edition certiphi. I got email from them 2 days ago and wanted to know if anyone ran into that situation too. They said in their email that completing the CBC as part of conditional acceptance.

Not sure if it is real or just another spam mail.

Please let me know and thanks
VAN
That's real. It is part of admission process. Good to know its moving forward!

Hi Pharmacopeia516,
Have you received an email regarding background check yet?
I haven't received anything yet.
Thank you again,Pharmacopeia516.

That Certiphi thing is NOT required for MCPHS. I am a current student and did not need to do it last year. Some schools use them and PHARMCAS will spam the crap out of you telling you it's necessary. It isn't. Call admissions if you want to be sure.

That Certiphi thing is NOT required for MCPHS. I am a current student and did not need to do it last year. Some schools use them and PHARMCAS will spam the crap out of you telling you it's necessary. It isn't. Call admissions if you want to be sure.

Oh okay I should better call the school admission on monday to double check on this.

Thanks

I am wondering if any of you guys know if Lincoln is still accepting students, or is it full already ?

I haven't heard anything regarding to housing yet and my first choice is to stay at Lincoln. Do you know when I will be expected to receive the housing information ?

In case the residences are full, anyone interested to find a roomate ? Im female, dont drink, dont smoke, dont party :cool: .Im friendly and organized ( i clean up frequently). Pretty much all the time I use is for study, eat and sleep. PM me if you are in the same situation then we can have the back up plan to find apartment.

Im from the rainy Seattle btw.

Hi Pharmacopeia516,
Have you received an email regarding background check yet?
I haven't received anything yet.
Thank you again,Pharmacopeia516.

You might check your junk mail. It was put into my junkmail.
Van

Sent from my SGH-T769 using SDN Mobile

You might check your junk mail. It was put into my junkmail.
Van

Sent from my SGH-T769 using SDN Mobile
I already checked my junk mail, but it wasn't there. I got accepted awhile back ago, but I haven't heard back from housing either.
I wonder any of you here already got a letter regarding housing yet.
Thank you.
btw, cloudyvan if we both don't get into Lincoln, we can be partners since I don't drink, smoke nor party. All I do is study, sleep, eat. Just like you are. We can be perfect partners :)

I already checked my junk mail, but it wasn't there. I got accepted awhile back ago, but I haven't heard back from housing either.
Thank you.
btw, cloudyvan if we both don't get into Lincoln, we can be partners since I don't drink, smoke nor party. All I do is study, sleep, eat. Just like you are. We can be perfect partners :)
Hi pharmgirl! No I never got it. But the current student above says it isn't necessary. I'll call to make sure and let you know.

I am wondering if any of you guys know if Lincoln is still accepting students, or is it full already ?

I haven't heard anything regarding to housing yet and my first choice is to stay at Lincoln. Do you know when I will be expected to receive the housing information ?

In case the residences are full, anyone interested to find a roomate ? Im female, dont drink, dont smoke, dont party :cool: .Im friendly and organized ( i clean up frequently). Pretty much all the time I use is for study, eat and sleep. PM me if you are in the same situation then we can have the back up plan to find apartment.

Im from the rainy Seattle btw.
Hey van! From what I heard we won't hear about residence assignments til the summer. They take care if returning students first, then us. If I hear anything about dates I will pass on the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you.

Hahha sure. Okay I am glad that we have the same thoughts too. Yes we can be roomate if we couldnt get into Lincoln :)

Hey van! From what I heard we won't hear about residence assignments til the summer. They take care if returning students first, then us. If I hear anything about dates I will pass on the info.

Oh. Thanks for checking on that Sue. I hope that the school will process the housing very soon. I think we have more priotities than returning students though :)
So I take it that you havent got any confirmation about staying in Lincoln except that one time you checked to choose your residency preference in your enrollment form .

Oh. Thanks for checking on that Sue. I hope that the school will process the housing very soon. I think we have more priotities than returning students though :)
So I take it that you havent got any confirmation about staying in Lincoln except that one time you checked to choose your residency preference in your enrollment form .
no. None at all! And the more I think about it, there wasn't a check box for choice of residency - I did just write in my preference on the form. I thought it was odd that you couldn't choose, so i just made my own! lol. Hope it works!

Hey guys, I am wondering if everyone who was accepted received the SAR letter stating the tuition cost and fed loans that you are eligible for and so on. Its very difficult to reach Lynn and find out the status of my FAFSA applic. I am a little worried that without it I cant start the loans process. Am I the only one? Thanks for your replies

Hey guys, I am wondering if everyone who was accepted received the SAR letter stating the tuition cost and fed loans that you are eligible for and so on. Its very difficult to reach Lynn and find out the status of my FAFSA applic. I am a little worried that without it I cant start the loans process. Am I the only one? Thanks for your replies
I emailed him a week ago and go no response, no SAR letter at all. So i heard nothing :(

no. None at all! And the more I think about it, there wasn't a check box for choice of residency - I did just write in my preference on the form. I thought it was odd that you couldn't choose, so i just made my own! lol. Hope it works!

Hahhaha. That was smart though. I should have done that too.

Hahhaha. That was smart though. I should have done that too.
so I just reviewed a letter I had sent to Eileen the head of housing and it seems i DID fill out a preference form as she states in the letter...I'm losing it, I think! lol I posted the email she sent me as a reference for what's next and some onfo about the rooms at 10 Lincoln for those interested.

Good Morning Suzanne,
Thank you for contacting me with your request about Lincoln Square. I apologize for my delay in responding, I was frequently out of the office last week. Unfortunately, I do not have room dimensions available for the 10 Lincoln Square rooms, but I can tell you that this building was formerly a Crowne Plaza hotel, and the residence hall area is very similar to that of a hotel (long hallways with rooms off of the hallway). These rooms have either two full sized beds, one full sized bed, or one king sized bed, so there is quite a bit of space in the room itself. All rooms are single occupancy unless you have specifically requested a roommate (who has also listed your name on their preference form), so even if you were to have a room with two beds, it would still be single occupancy. When Rachel Newman, our Residence Life Coordinator, has placed you in your housing assignment, she will let you know if you are in Lincoln Square ,and how many beds/what size bed you will have in your space.

On the preference form, you saw that there are options for "standard" or "renovated" Lincoln Square rooms. These rooms are the same size and have the same basic furniture/amenities (bed, dresser, nightstands, armchair, desk), but the renovated rooms have slightly more updated wallpaper, carpet, artwork, and furniture. The primary colors for renovated rooms are dark brown, beige, and dark red with tan embellishments. Our standard rooms are also very popular with students and cost slightly less than the renovated rooms. The primary colors for these rooms are dark blue and white with light blue accents. Both standard and renovated rooms have individual bathrooms in each room with a bathtub shower, vanity, and toilet. All Lincoln Square rooms currently come equipped with an iron/ironing board, hair dryer, and a microfridge, which is a combination of a small refrigerator and a microwave.

Congratulations on your decision to join us here at MCPHS! If there is any other information that you would like, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,
Eileen McNamara
Residence Director for the Lincoln Square Academic and Student Center

It took Lynn a week to reposnd to me about the e-award letter. He's handling all of the financial aid for worcester himself, so he is loaded with work right now. He was apologetic about his response time, so hang in there.

When were you accepted and when did you submit FAFSA??

It took Lynn a week to reposnd to me about the e-award letter. He's handling all of the financial aid for worcester himself, so he is loaded with work right now. He was apologetic about his response time, so hang in there.

When were you accepted and when did you submit FAFSA??

I was accepted March 21st, and filed FAFSA March 22nd.

so I just reviewed a letter I had sent to Eileen the head of housing and it seems i DID fill out a preference form as she states in the letter...I'm losing it, I think! lol I posted the email she sent me as a reference for what's next and some onfo about the rooms at 10 Lincoln for those interested.

Good Morning Suzanne,
Thank you for contacting me with your request about Lincoln Square. I apologize for my delay in responding, I was frequently out of the office last week. Unfortunately, I do not have room dimensions available for the 10 Lincoln Square rooms, but I can tell you that this building was formerly a Crowne Plaza hotel, and the residence hall area is very similar to that of a hotel (long hallways with rooms off of the hallway). These rooms have either two full sized beds, one full sized bed, or one king sized bed, so there is quite a bit of space in the room itself. All rooms are single occupancy unless you have specifically requested a roommate (who has also listed your name on their preference form), so even if you were to have a room with two beds, it would still be single occupancy. When Rachel Newman, our Residence Life Coordinator, has placed you in your housing assignment, she will let you know if you are in Lincoln Square ,and how many beds/what size bed you will have in your space.

On the preference form, you saw that there are options for "standard" or "renovated" Lincoln Square rooms. These rooms are the same size and have the same basic furniture/amenities (bed, dresser, nightstands, armchair, desk), but the renovated rooms have slightly more updated wallpaper, carpet, artwork, and furniture. The primary colors for renovated rooms are dark brown, beige, and dark red with tan embellishments. Our standard rooms are also very popular with students and cost slightly less than the renovated rooms. The primary colors for these rooms are dark blue and white with light blue accents. Both standard and renovated rooms have individual bathrooms in each room with a bathtub shower, vanity, and toilet. All Lincoln Square rooms currently come equipped with an iron/ironing board, hair dryer, and a microfridge, which is a combination of a small refrigerator and a microwave.

Congratulations on your decision to join us here at MCPHS! If there is any other information that you would like, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,
Eileen McNamara

Do you think i should email her tomorrow ? Or call directly ? This is odd that we didnt have any pieces of information about housing.

Good Morning Suzanne,

Sincerely,
Eileen McNamara
Hi Suzanne,
Do you know the difference between Lincoln renovated single 8500 (2834 per semester) and Lincoln renovated double 6600 (2200 per semester)?
Because she said " if you have a room with two beds, it would still be single occupancy", so I don't know the difference between single or double here.
Thank you very much, Suzanne. Again I always appreciate your feedbacks.

Hi Suzanne,
Do you know the difference between Lincoln renovated single 8500 (2834 per semester) and Lincoln renovated double 6600 (2200 per semester)?
Because she said " if you have a room with two beds, it would still be single occupancy", so I don't know the difference between single or double here.
Thank you very much, Suzanne. Again I always appreciate your feedbacks.
No problem - You only get a double if you and someone else request each other. That's the only difference. Room size and decor is the same, you'll just have the roommate that you specified.

I was accepted March 21st, and filed FAFSA March 22nd.
Oh! That's pretty recent. It may take a little while to get the letter. Just as a frame of reference - I was accepted in November, did my FAFSA in January and didn't get my e-mail until 2 weeks ago. A few of the people that accepted before me and around the same time had received theirs earlier than I did, so I emailed him. It took about a week to hear back.

No problem - You only get a double if you and someone else request each other. That's the only difference. Room size and decor is the same, you'll just have the roommate that you specified.
Thank you,Suzanne :)
I wonder what your housing preference is. I want to live in single renovated room, but since it's too expensive. I am debating between single standard vs single renovated. Which one do you guys think is better ?

Thank you,Suzanne :)
I wonder what your housing preference is. I want to live in single renovated room, but since it's too expensive. I am debating between single standard vs single renovated. Which one do you guys think is better ?

I believe room is just room. You can always buy extra furnitures or things you need for cheaper price.

what is her email? I think I also need to do something about the housing deal. My deposit has not been withdrawn from my bank which is a also a concern.

it takes a while for them to cash your check/charge your card. for me it took 2 months after i mailed it in!

Hi all,

I called to ask my advisor today and he confirmed that the school does not use Certiphi for CBC. As also he doesn't know if the school will or will not request CBC for this year. So, don't worry if you don't get the SPAM CBC check !

Nice day
Van

Thanks Sue,

I've just emailed Eileen. Will update to you guys about her response once I got it.

Van
Rachel is finalizing some details for our housing options and will begin sending out housing placements very soon. When you are placed, you will receive an email from Rachel with more information regarding your housing.

1/ Will the housing reservation guarantee that I will have a room at my preferred residence and room type for 2013-2014 school year ?
Your room reservation fee puts you in line (based on deposit date—which sounds like approximately April 5th) for housing at a first come, first served basis. Essentially, Rachel will begin with the earliest deposit date and work to the latest. While we do our best to accommodate your preferences, there are times when we are unable to have a room available to you based on where our current students still live, or where students with an earlier deposit date are placed, but we will place you in accommodations as close to your preferences as possible.

2/ Will I be able to choose which residency and room type I would like to stay in ? Or will I be randomly assigned to live in whichever places? I would love to stay in Lincoln, standard single room.
In regards to selecting your room, an email will be going out very soon regarding different housing options, including some that you have not seen on our website yet. These are very new to us and offer high quality living at prices that are comparable to our other options that we have for the 2012-2013 school year. If you are placed in a room that is not what you are interested in, please feel free to contact Rachel Newman so that we can work with you on the possibility of another space in our residence halls.

3/ Is Lincoln available for standard single room for next year ? and how much of the chance that I will be accepted to stay in there ?
Based on current student interest, it appears that Lincoln Square is going to have extremely limited availability this year, but there are some of our new units that will be offering similar or enhanced experience (such as having a kitchen) at a price that is slightly higher than the current cost to live at Lincoln Square. If there is space available at Lincoln, there is a possibility that you could have a room on one of the renovated floors, otherwise you may be offered one of our newer locations.

4/ When will I be expected to hear about housing decisions or any paperwork from you ?
Rachel Newman is diligently working to respond to our incoming students as quickly as possible, and you should expect an email very soon from her regarding our different options as well as how this process will work for you.

5/ If 2 residencies are both full and I couldn't get any place to live, how soon will I be notified such that I could have back-up plan to find apartment to live off campus ? And will I be refunded the reservation fee $250 ?
Based on the new residence hall spaces that we have acquired, I can tell you with great confidence that we will have a spot in on-campus housing for you based on your early deposit date! Our newer housing options allow you to experience the best of both worlds by having the independence to live in an environment similar to traditionally “off-campus” students, while still having the services of MCPHS Residence Life! Our Facilities staff would quickly solve any problems that arise, our Residence Life staff would work with you instead of a landlord, and our Public Safety staff would respond to your location to assist with any needs you may have. In addition, you would still have our great events and support to help make your living experience as comfortable as possible.

Rachel is finalizing some details for our housing options and will begin sending out housing placements very soon. When you are placed, you will receive an email from Rachel with more information regarding your housing.

1/ Will the housing reservation guarantee that I will have a room at my preferred residence and room type for 2013-2014 school year ?
Your room reservation fee puts you in line (based on deposit date—which sounds like approximately April 5th) for housing at a first come, first served basis. Essentially, Rachel will begin with the earliest deposit date and work to the latest. While we do our best to accommodate your preferences, there are times when we are unable to have a room available to you based on where our current students still live, or where students with an earlier deposit date are placed, but we will place you in accommodations as close to your preferences as possible.

2/ Will I be able to choose which residency and room type I would like to stay in ? Or will I be randomly assigned to live in whichever places? I would love to stay in Lincoln, standard single room.
In regards to selecting your room, an email will be going out very soon regarding different housing options, including some that you have not seen on our website yet. These are very new to us and offer high quality living at prices that are comparable to our other options that we have for the 2012-2013 school year. If you are placed in a room that is not what you are interested in, please feel free to contact Rachel Newman so that we can work with you on the possibility of another space in our residence halls.

3/ Is Lincoln available for standard single room for next year ? and how much of the chance that I will be accepted to stay in there ?
Based on current student interest, it appears that Lincoln Square is going to have extremely limited availability this year, but there are some of our new units that will be offering similar or enhanced experience (such as having a kitchen) at a price that is slightly higher than the current cost to live at Lincoln Square. If there is space available at Lincoln, there is a possibility that you could have a room on one of the renovated floors, otherwise you may be offered one of our newer locations.

4/ When will I be expected to hear about housing decisions or any paperwork from you ?
Rachel Newman is diligently working to respond to our incoming students as quickly as possible, and you should expect an email very soon from her regarding our different options as well as how this process will work for you.

5/ If 2 residencies are both full and I couldn't get any place to live, how soon will I be notified such that I could have back-up plan to find apartment to live off campus ? And will I be refunded the reservation fee $250 ?
Based on the new residence hall spaces that we have acquired, I can tell you with great confidence that we will have a spot in on-campus housing for you based on your early deposit date! Our newer housing options allow you to experience the best of both worlds by having the independence to live in an environment similar to traditionally “off-campus” students, while still having the services of MCPHS Residence Life! Our Facilities staff would quickly solve any problems that arise, our Residence Life staff would work with you instead of a landlord, and our Public Safety staff would respond to your location to assist with any needs you may have. In addition, you would still have our great events and support to help make your living experience as comfortable as possible.
Great info, Van! Thanks!

I wonder what the new residence option is??

Great info, Van! Thanks!

I wonder what the new residence option is??

Yeah me too. But we gotta wait anyways. She provided the most information she had in hands. So now we gotta wait for Rachel finish up her housing assignments.

Sure! I'll forward you the info. Check your PM
Hi Pharmacopeia516, If you don't mind, can you please pm me the same info as well? Everything (this process) is all new to me. Any information would be very helpful and appreciated.

Also, I wanted to ask everyone, do you think living on 25 foster street is worth the expense? I'm having a hard time debating whether to live on campus or off campus. I definitely need a kitchen .. so lincoln would be super inconvenient.

You got your assignment, PharmMD? Or just the email from Rachel about forthcoming info?

got an email today; what's this "housing assignment" nonsense? we dont get to pick anymore?
i'm waiting for the letter before i call to ask, in case i'm mistaken and its just poorly worded.
thoughts?

got an email today; what's this "housing assignment" nonsense? we dont get to pick anymore?
i'm waiting for the letter before i call to ask, in case i'm mistaken and its just poorly worded.
thoughts?
I (for some reason, don't know why) always assumed we could give a preference, but in the end we would be assigned a space and are sort of at the mercy of which students are graduating/leaving and which students are staying. I'm not that surprised. If you read the post from cloudyvan above the email states that if you're unhappy about the assignment you can call them and try to work something out.

What's your preference?

just got the housing email also! I really hope i get a 6-person type B. anything to reduce my loans as much as possible. plus, who the hell would want to live in a place without a kitchen!?

What's your preference?

i was told by my counselor that we would be sent the revised housing preference forms, but the generic email i just received says i was assigned, so im just confused. i didnt have the opportunity to express me interest to MCP.
im leaning toward the 6 person at foster, but theres supposed to be some new stuff this year (i think in cloudyvan's post) that i wanted to look into as well

i completely understand giving preference to the upperclassmen but it doesnt seem like anyone on this forum got the form either. would they just randomly assign our entire class? seems it would be easy enough to do it our way - you know, the logical way, where they find out from us what we want.

If you look at the price list attached to the emails, the new residences are listed there and they are as expensive (if not more) as 25 Foster. I googled the location and they're about a mile and a half from the school. You also have to pay for gas, cable and Internet. No real deal there. But they are kitchen equipped.

I don't think the school handles housing too well, even down to good photos and marketing material. For students to not know all their options and not be able to choose where they live for three years is ridic.

just got the housing email also! I really hope i get a 6-person type B. anything to reduce my loans as much as possible. plus, who the hell would want to live in a place without a kitchen!?
I see your point about the kitchen, jerbearox. But the thought of living with a bunch of people is not ideal for me. Also, I know I'd be way too distracted with friends a room away. Lol I prefer my own space so Lincoln was my choice. I'm going to have to get creative without a kitchen, for sure.

Anyone know if there's a place to workout at the school?
I know there is a gym in Lincoln Square. Not sure about 25 Foster....I read in the wellness section of the website that students have access to membership at Worcester Fitness. I don't know any details about that, though.

When did you turn in the enrollment form ? I didnt receive any emails from Rachel at all which is weird