Mcphs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeterminedOpto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone applying to MCPHS? Anyone in the first class 2012 have anything to say?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying... have an interview next friday

Hey all,
I am a current student at MCPHS. So far, nothing but great news to report to everyone applying for next year. The facilities are all nice and new, we haven't broken anything yet. The clinic is amazing. All of the OD professors are experts in their fields and as excited to teach us as we are to learn. We are in the process of getting the main student organizations for AOA, AAO and VOSH up and running of which I am president of one. Other organizations to come as students show interest. Any specific questions, feel free to message me or reply to this post further. I should be around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I'm also a current optometry student at MCPHS. And also a president of one of the new clubs. MCPHS has a tremendous amount of opportunities for new students. Once you see the facility for yourself you'll see what we mean, it is world class. My advice is to come for a tour and get a feel for the environment and see if it matches your personality. Everyone is extremely friendly. Other than that classes are going well for us, the professors keep us on our toes, and we all have a good time. If anyone has other questions feel free to ask!

I'm also a first year student like the two others who posted on here. I am having an amazing time at MCPHS. The teachers are very eager to teach and each of them are always willing to go above and beyond to help us in any way possible. Other than the professors, the equipment on campus and at the Eye and Vision Center was a big reason for why I chose MCPHS. They currently have top of the line machines and they are looking to procure even more for patient care and for research.

Worcester itself isn't the best city but it does have its perks. Cost of living is much cheaper but you still get a city-like feel. The architecture here is incredible. Boston is less than an hour away and its very easy to hop on the Mass Turnpike to go out west as well. There are plenty of restaurants and bars to go to as well so there is always something to do.

Overall considering academics, clinical time and out of class experiences, I would definitely recommend MCPHS to prospective students. Let me know if you have any other questions that I could answer.

Could you tell me how the interview was for you? Was it like a group of interviewers?
I also have a question for who are attending MCP Worcester. Why did you choose MCP Worcester out of other schools? It is new established school and it is not accredited yet, even though it said the school was give 'premilinary approval' there are still a lot of difficulties in the future. You are going to be the first class who are taking the national board exam and do you think that the school will prepare you well?
Also, MCP Worcester I think is all year around, you have to take summer courses even for the first two years and that scares me a little because there are no breaks at all.
Thank you and good luck with your finals!

Could you tell me how the interview was for you? Was it like a group of interviewers?
I also have a question for who are attending MCP Worcester. Why did you choose MCP Worcester out of other schools? It is new established school and it is not accredited yet, even though it said the school was give 'premilinary approval' there are still a lot of difficulties in the future. You are going to be the first class who are taking the national board exam and do you think that the school will prepare you well?
Also, MCP Worcester I think is all year around, you have to take summer courses even for the first two years and that scares me a little because there are no breaks at all.
Thank you and good luck with your finals!
The interviews were pretty relaxed overall. I didn't feel like I wasn't prepared or anything. First, I had a written "essay format" questionnaire of a few interview-like questions. Then I had two different in person interviews, each with one person present. One focused more on my history and reasons for wanting to attend optometry school, the other was more about academics and the structure of the program. Then went on a tour, and that was that. I heard back from them about a week later. I actually chose MCPHS partially because it is a new school with a new type of curriculum with emphasis on patient interaction and clinic time early on. Outside of the optometry program, the school itself has many programs and has been around for nearly two centuries (founded in 1823) with great success for its other programs. I have faith that this school will continue this legacy with the optometry program. Sure, the summer schedule addition makes for a long year, there is still a month-ish Winter break though and the summer session actually allows for a slightly more relaxed schedule each semester because normally you would be fitting the same amount of courses in those first two years with two less semesters. This allows for an easy increase in clinic time throughout the first two years without feeling as bogged down because of the extra time spent there.

Hi im thinking of applying this year but my OAT scores aren't that great i've received a 270 AA and 270 TS and i believe my GPA IS just below a 3.0 if not a 3.0. im a senior and im going to be graduating with a bachelors in biology in april. i would really love to start optometry school this fall at MCPHS. what do you think my chances are? thanks for the info i appreciate it. if it ok with you please message me at [email protected]

Hey all,
I am a current student at MCPHS. So far, nothing but great news to report to everyone applying for next year. The facilities are all nice and new, we haven't broken anything yet. The clinic is amazing. All of the OD professors are experts in their fields and as excited to teach us as we are to learn. We are in the process of getting the main student organizations for AOA, AAO and VOSH up and running of which I am president of one. Other organizations to come as students show interest. Any specific questions, feel free to message me or reply to this post further. I should be around.

Hi im thinking of applying this year but my OAT scores aren't that great i've received a 270 AA and 270 TS and i believe my GPA IS just below a 3.0 if not a 3.0. im a senior and im going to be graduating with a bachelors in biology in april. i would really love to start optometry school this fall at MCPHS. what do you think my chances are? thanks for the info i appreciate it. if it ok with you please message me at [email protected]

Hi all, along with what my friend Member 506477 said above, I just wanted to add a few things.

I know a lot of people looking into the MCPHS OD program are worried about accreditation and I understand that it definitely is a major concern. I am currently a student at MCPHS and I truly believe in this program. I also believe in the faculty and staff that was chosen to lead and guide us through our four years. One of the biggest reasons why I know we won't have any problems receiving accreditation is because our Associate Dean of Academic Programs is also part of the accreditation council (ACOE). She has spent many years visiting programs to make sure that they meet the standards which are necessary. She is a driven and amazing woman who knows what she is doing. Here is her bio if you would like to learn more about her.

http://www.mcphs.edu/about-mcphs/our-faculty/all-faculty/r/register-shilpa

Also MCPHS (now MCPHS University) is the oldest school in Boston with a proven record for success. This is NOT a new school; it is a new program.

http://www.mcphs.edu/about-mcphs/a-history-of-innovation

Other than working with amazing doctors AND the newest and best equipment available, one of the best reasons to come to MCPHS is because of how early we get to see patients. I used to work at a clinic for another Optometry program and I would see third and fourth year students who knew the material but could NOT interact with patients. As an optometrist being educated and having a good bedside manner go hand in hand and MCPHS places an enormous emphasis on this starting as early as the admissions process itself.

Bottom line: If you want to become a great optometrist and have an amazing experience at optometry school I definitely recommend MCPHS University. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you eyeguy4life and optom2016 for your feedbacks!
I got accepted at MCPHS Worcester and already sent it my deposit! I'm currently a 3rd year premed at MCPHS Boston and I love the school. I love the faculties and I surely believe that our school will have no problem in getting an accreditation.
I'm graduating a year early so I only applied to two schools MCPHS and Neco. I'm still waiting to hear back from Neco because they are being strict about my 290 in Physics and they want me to take it again to achieve a 300. I was really disappointed because I got a pretty decent score. TS:340 Average:330. I have worked very hard for the past 2 years to get an overall GPA of 3.78 and Science 3.98, and just because literally of one question, 10 points away from their requirement for 3/4 program...they put my file on hold.
What you said earlier about MCP regconizing our hard work and personalities makes me realize that I shouldnt be sad if I get rejected from Neco--even though I have been stressed and even crying about it for years. (yes, i do cry lol).
Maybe I will see you guys there at MCPHS Worcester next year! I would need a lot of help and advise from you if you guys dont mind:) i know we will all be busy but i would really appreciate your help and support!.

Last edited:
I got accepted at MCPHS Worcester and already sent it my deposit!.

Hey Lucky2303, how long did it take for you to hear back from MCPHS-Worcester after your interview? and when was your interview? I had my interview last week and was wondering... thanks!

How long did it take for you to hear back about an interview after submitting your application?

I got accepted at MCPHS Worcester and already sent it my deposit! I'm currently a 3rd year premed at MCPHS Boston and I love the school. I love the faculties and I surely believe that our school will have no problem in getting an accreditation.
I'm graduating a year early so I only applied to two schools MCPHS and Neco. I'm still waiting to hear back from Neco because they are being strict about my 290 in Physics and they want me to take it again to achieve a 300. I was really disappointed because I got a pretty decent score. TS:340 Average:330. I have worked very hard for the past 2 years to get an overall GPA of 3.78 and Science 3.98, and just because literally of one question, 10 points away from their requirement for 3/4 program...they put my file on hold.
What you said earlier about MCP regconizing our hard work and personalities makes me realize that I shouldnt be sad if I get rejected from Neco--even though I have been stressed and even crying about it for years. (yes, i do cry lol).
Maybe I will see you guys there at MCPHS Worcester next year! I would need a lot of help and advise from you if you guys dont mind:) i know we will all be busy but i would really appreciate your help and support!.

If you get into NECO, you would be a fool to go to MCPHS. I guess you only want to stay in Massachusetts, but I would have definitely applied to more schools.

How long did it take for you to hear back about an interview after submitting your application?

Less than a week. But make sure they have everything (OAT official scores, supplemental app, and optomcas app). If you're missing something they won't consider you for an interview yet. Also, they communicate with you via snail mail, so that's why it can take up to a week for you to get the interview invite in the mail. I found out in a few days because I emailed one of the admissions counselors and she actually told me that I was invited for an interview and a letter was on the way for me.

If you get into NECO, you would be a fool to go to MCPHS. I guess you only want to stay in Massachusetts, but I would have definitely applied to more schools.
I looked over other schools but most of them require a BS degree. Only MCPHS and Neco give me a BS degree after I finish my 1st year at optometry school. Neco is my top choice so I really hope I can make it. I just love the students and the professors. Everyone is very supportive at Neco. I didn't get a chance to see any optometry student at MCPHS during my interview there so I'm kind of afraid of the competiveness next year there.

NECO just got busted for cheating, and might lose their accreditation. All optometry schools are the same, berkely isn't going to teach you something nova/houston isn't. When you graduate from one school you are good enough to practice anywhere in the U.S. No one is going to care where you went to school, my optometrist didn't go to berkely, he went to memphis. He is as good as it gets when it comes to optometry. The guy knows more about eyes than most ophthalmologists. It's all about how you apply yourself and what you want out of it. There are idiots on here that claim their school is better, but if they accepted else where then instead of NECO it would have been SUNY. Trust me, your MRs are not going to be better than someone elses because you attended NECO vs PCO.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I have an interview at MCPHS soon and I was just wondering about what questions they ask for the essays and what kind of questions they ask during the interview?