MD after PhD, poor UG gpa - Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airyu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

[This is my first post, so please let me know if I have done something wrong in terms of posting.]

I graduated with a 2.9 undergrad GPA, double-majoring in Physiology and English. My science GPA was a 2.5. I was still stubborn and applied to MD/PhD joint programmes. I got a 34S on the (old) MCAT. I made the mistake of applying late (sent out primaries in late September), made the mistake of having a late recommendation (now I know to tell recommenders that the deadline is earlier than when it is).

I didn't get into any MD/PhD joint programmes, but I got interviews at two med schools and three PhD programmes (separately, despite three of the five schools stating they had a GPA cut-off above my GPA). I accepted a PhD offer (an advisor convinced me to go the PhD route before MD, so I turned down my med school interviews), and here I am. I have two years expected time to completion on my PhD, I'm making good progress, and my thesis committee seems on board with me finishing in 2017, barring some kind of catastrophe.

Additional information:

The one MD on my committee doesn't think I should take time away from my project to volunteer at hospitals, so it may be difficult to volunteer at the local hospital (since he works there). I want to volunteer, and if I decide to do so before I graduate, I am looking into volunteering at another near-by hospital. I had hospital volunteer experience, health-related volunteering experiences, a medical internship, a research scholarship, and shadowing experiences during undergrad, but that was 3 years ago at this point.

Do I need to do a post-bac programme after my PhD, prior to medical school? All of my graduate grades have been a 3.5 or above (my current graduate GPA is a 3.75).

I am American and I would like to stick to the US, preferably going back to my home state (California) for med school. Would I be capable of this without an additional degree following my PhD?

In undergrad, I got a F in Organic Chemistry II, retook it, got a D, retook it again, and got a C-. I plan on re-taking it next year, before reapplying to medical school. Is this a good idea? I am scared I will only get a B or C+ this time; I seemed to make only such incremental progress in undergrad.

I have been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, and was, when I first applied, honest about receiving medication and therapy for bipolar disorder, depression, and anxiety, when I was asked on applications to disclose mental illness. Later on, an advisor said I should not have disclosed this on applications. Can stating this information actually hurt my application, and should I not disclose it going forward, especially since I am no longer being treated for it?

What can I do to convince medical schools to accept me after I graduate with my PhD?

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I accepted a PhD offer (an advisor convinced me to go the PhD route before MD, so I turned down my med school interviews), and here I am.

Poor advice you got there. SDN would have told you to go to the interviews and you might have gotten in. Anyway, the damage is done.

First off you need to read this - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...adme-faqs-updated-3-21-10.64282/#post-6420517
2. You will need some clinical volunteers and shadowing hours. The cycle gets more competitive each year. You don't want to lose out.
3. If you want California MDs, you will need to rock the new MCAT, which shouldn't be a problem for someone who got a 34.
4. You will need to retake Ochem 2, but ace it this time around.
5. Have you considered DO? There are 2 DO schools in California. Granted, UG GPA matters more than graduate GPA. AACOMAS has grade replacement, which is conducive to your case.
6. When you apply to the 2 med schools that sent you an interview invitation in the first time around, if you get IIs from them again, you will be asked why you turned down the offer, prepare to answer that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user