MD and DO school question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macfan101

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If your going to a MD school, you just tell people your in medical school in progress of becoming a doctor. Can you say the same statement if you go to DO school? There is lots of family pressure; it would be nice to say I going to medical school without mentioning DO specifically (no offense to anyone doing DO).

Members don't see this ad.

This is an offensive and ignorant question. You essentially said that MDs are real doctors but DOs don't practice medicine, which if you had read anything on osteopathic medicine before hand you would realize is inaccurate. Furthermore, I would question your motives in becoming a doctor if you are doing it only for your family.

If your going to a MD school, you just tell people your in medical school in progress of becoming a doctor. Can you say the same statement if you go to DO school? There is lots of family pressure; it would be nice to say I going to medical school without mentioning DO specifically (no offense to anyone doing DO).

Do some research on what a DO degree is and you will realize the flaws of this post. I will be going to an MD school, but see very little difference between DO and MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO school is medical school just as much as MD school is bro

I interviewed someone once and asked them why they applied MD rather than DO, and they said it was because they wanted to be a doctor and use science and practice medicine.

Basically one of the only two times out of the 100 or so interviews I did where I didn't positively review someone and had to put some real talk in my eval.

DO is absolutely a medical doctor....You should do some research like the previous poster said...

Yes.

Bro just do yourself a favor and reapply to MD school. Youll be a lot happier that way. Leave us "fake" doctors to our own devices. And stand up to your family and stop being a pussy.

Reading OPs other posts...hes clearly either a troll or a lil dweeby kid who cant get laid OR impress any doctors.

oh boy, are you serious? The head of the cardiology dept at the hospital I used to volunteer in was a DO. He's a big deal. Do your research before you comment on DO's.

Coke is cola, Pepsi is cola. If people ask you if your drinking cola are you going to say no if its not Coke?

Coke is cola, Pepsi is cola. If people ask you if your drinking cola are you going to say no if its not Coke?

fry.PNG

Members don't see this ad :)
Bro just do yourself a favor and reapply to MD school. Youll be a lot happier that way. Leave us "fake" doctors to our own devices. And stand up to your family and stop being a pussy.

Reading OPs other posts...hes clearly either a troll or a lil dweeby kid who cant get laid OR impress any doctors.

Not a troll and clearly not a kid. And are you seriously going to mention getting laid when all you've been doing for the last 7 years is coming on sdn because you obviously had nothing better to do; getting laid might be too far fetched in your case. Try to keep replies clean and appropriate next time especially if you think its a dweeby kid; can't believe you talk about getting laid with kids man!!! :(

DO school is medical school just as much as MD school is bro

If they are really the same, why is there a difference in our system? Why couldn't all the DO schools just open up as MDs?

If they are really the same, why is there a difference in our system? Why couldn't all the DO schools just open up as MDs?

or what about all the MD schools just turn DO?.. pride obviously. The AOA doesn't want to give up the DO title, thats the whole point behind osteopathy to begin with

or what about all the MD schools just turn DO?.. pride obviously. The AOA doesn't want to give up the DO title, thats the whole point behind osteopathy to begin with

Not really. That's like saying a nurse is exactly like a physician assisant.

Not really. That's like saying a nurse is exactly like a physician assisant.

a nurse =/= physician assistant in terms of practice rights

a DO == MD in terms of practice rights.

Does anyone know off the top of their head if DOs match well into ER residencies or to be trauma surgeons?

Thanks JessFalling! I am very drawn to the ER, but also to the idea of trauma surgery. Who knows though what several more years of undergrad + four years of medical school (if I get lucky enough) will change my mind.

Oh and to the OP!!! I found a great article for you. It was on the Forbes website, and the author is a real jerk and is insinuating that DOs are not "real" doctors, but take a look at the comments section and you will see some great points and rebuttals. Maybe you can use them to get some ideas and be open and honest with your family. A DO is a "real" doctor, and you should be proud of what you are training to become.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sciencebiz/2010/10/27/osteopaths-versus-doctors/

Not a troll and clearly not a kid. And are you seriously going to mention getting laid when all you've been doing for the last 7 years is coming on sdn because you obviously had nothing better to do; getting laid might be too far fetched in your case. Try to keep replies clean and appropriate next time especially if you think its a dweeby kid; can't believe you talk about getting laid with kids man!!! :(

"Wah my parents dont want me to be a DO". If you were such an adult youd stand up for yourself and realize you have your own life that your parents cant control. You are a fucking *****. You actually started a thread about how to improve your personality so that doctors and girls think you are the ish...nuff said bro. Furthermore I am married, I get laid more or less whenever I want.

Last edited:
"Wah my parents dont want me to be a DO". If you were such an adult youd stand up for yourself and realize you have your own life that your parents cant control. You are a fucking *****. You actually started a thread about how to improve your personality so that doctors and girls think you are the ish...nuff said bro. Furthermore I am married, I get laid more or less whenever I want.
not according to every comedian out there lol married men get sex once in a blue moon ;)

:poke:

Thanks JessFalling! I am very drawn to the ER, but also to the idea of trauma surgery. Who knows though what several more years of undergrad + four years of medical school (if I get lucky enough) will change my mind.

Oh and to the OP!!! I found a great article for you. It was on the Forbes website, and the author is a real jerk and is insinuating that DOs are not "real" doctors, but take a look at the comments section and you will see some great points and rebuttals. Maybe you can use them to get some ideas and be open and honest with your family. A DO is a "real" doctor, and you should be proud of what you are training to become.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sciencebiz/2010/10/27/osteopaths-versus-doctors/

Wow- I just read through the first few pages of comments and I'm quite impressed at the responses. I'm still working on my premed and haven't firmly decided DO or MD at this point, I appreciate the link even if it may have fed the troll. Thank you!

OP,

I for one do not feel you are a troll---you are just not the brightest.

1. Yes, you can still say you are going to medical school.

2. As other users have echoed---if you are just trying to please your parents--then medicine may not be for you. Talk to them about it. You are most likely Pakistani judging from your past posts, so let them know how you feel.

God Bless Your Soul

Wow- I just read through the first few pages of comments and I'm quite impressed at the responses. I'm still working on my premed and haven't firmly decided DO or MD at this point, I appreciate the link even if it may have fed the troll. Thank you!

Why not apply both?

No. A DO is the personal janitor to an MD

Yea like the other dude said, once in a blue moon you get laid when you wife wants to, otherwise if she ain't in the mood, man i don't know how to tell you this but you ain't getting even a sneak preview :p And secondly, please quote the part where I say parents don't want me to become a DO..... maybe if your reading comprehension skills very any good, you wouldn't need to post so often :p

You're welcome! The comments were so enlightening! It was worth feeding the troll ;)

wholeheartedly agree. I did remember seeing a few threads earlier and thought, MY GOODNESS, PEOPLE THESE DAYS... yep most of them by OP.

buy MSAR, get 40+ MCAT and "WOW" girls... how much more ridiculous does this get?

Why not apply both?

Oh- I most definitely will! I have my eye on a few local schools (in-state tuition, woot!) and am fortunate enough to have a couple options "close by" either direction, I simply have no preference at this point. Maybe that's a better way to go into med school anyhow. I'm interested in going MD or DO/PhD, and in the long run I think it will probably boil down to A) if I can even get into a joint program and/or B) research opportunities with either (which I'm assuming would be based off the individual schools and how much they emphasize it in the later years anyway). I have quite a bit to learn about everything, but I have a while yet to get it all sorted out. Just absorbing what I can as I go.

I think I'll just tell everyone that I'm going to a really, really expensive basket weaving school. OP, for the love of humanity wake up! DOs are physicians, do the same residencies, and you'll find a DO in just about every field of medicine now..... :bang:

Yea like the other dude said, once in a blue moon you get laid when you wife wants to, otherwise if she ain't in the mood, man i don't know how to tell you this but you ain't getting even a sneak preview :p And secondly, please quote the part where I say parents don't want me to become a DO..... maybe if your reading comprehension skills very any good, you wouldn't need to post so often :p

Whoa bro ur insults are just fierce! Glad you know more about my own marriage than I do! Again, fucking *****.

"There is lots of family pressure; it would be nice to say I going to medical school without mentioning DO specifically"

You dont need to be a rocket scientist to infer that you come from a pakistani,indian,asian family that demands their children only go to the finest schools and would be embarrassed to go to a DO school. Not like any of this matters because you are a sophomore in college and years from even matriculating in ANY med school.

Do yourself a favor and STFU already, you are making yourself look like an idiot.

Don't let me rustle your jimmies. You getting mad at that silly statement just proved I was right! I am a pakistani from a top school; you wish you knew how clever I am. I love how your just jealous of someone's graduation from Columbia College :p Its alright man, not everyone has parental support to get in a top 5 school. Well, I am so thank full to my family for all the pressure because their intentions are good and will only help me be in the top 1% of the country, salary wise. I guess its hard to see where that's coming from but when you go to top 1% of schools, your family just expects more.

Whoa bro ur insults are just fierce! Glad you know more about my own marriage than I do! Again, fucking *****.

"There is lots of family pressure; it would be nice to say I going to medical school without mentioning DO specifically"

You dont need to be a rocket scientist to infer that you come from a pakistani,indian,asian family that demands their children only go to the finest schools and would be embarrassed to go to a DO school. Not like any of this matters because you are a sophomore in college and years from even matriculating in ANY med school.

Do yourself a favor and STFU already, you are making yourself look like an idiot.