MD and maybe DO. A couple schools across the country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jujuabeny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GPA is on the lower side for MD, should be okay for DO but it depends on which programs you're looking at.

It's really hard to tell without an MCAT though... I'd say if you can pull like a 32+ you should be solid for lower tier MDs and your pick of DOs.

GPAs are too low for any MD program, even with a stellar MCAT. the low sGPA is worrisome and will hurt, but not kill with DO programs. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get an interview with mine.

Hi, I'm a senior right now graduating at the end of the semester. I plan on applying next year.
cGPA is 3.22, sGPA is 3.02
About 80 clinical hours from, 40 in an ER, remainder in clinics at Mt. Sinai.
20 hours EMD shadowing so far, doing some more of that. I'm permitted to do 30 more. (getting a letter from that)
About to start shadowing a local family medicine doctor in addition to the above.
Did minor sociomedical research for about 160 before leaving.
About 50 hours of community service done, plan on doing more next year.
Work as a pharmacy technician since early 2010, still there.
Two recommendation letters from bosses, , one from a bio professor, one coming from a physics professor, working on one from my neuro professor from two semesters (including my last this fall).
I plan on taking my MCAT late March/Early April. I have most of my activities and descriptions documented already. I'm currently working on my personal statement; I should be able to apply early.
I know that my GPA is probably the most disappointing thing on this, and my MCAT is still frightening me.
In my last semester, I will be taking 12 credits of all science classes and hopefully doing well in that will increase my c- and sGPA a little, very little probably, but everything counts.

I would really like to stay in new york, but I don't think I'll make the cut on paper. I plan on applying all over the country. 15 max really.

Thanks in advance.