MD Apps Freaking Me Out. Is my GPA too low for top programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatawatago

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I am at a top university (HYP) and my final cumulative GPA was just calculated, but I don't know if it's high enough to even consider applying to top places. I see very few people on MDapps getting into top schools with my GPA and MCAT (though I know its a super small sample size), but it's making me think whether or not I should even bother applying to top programs. Here is my GPA - I do have a strong upward trend over 4 years:

Freshman year: 3.48
Sophomore year: 3.59
Junior year: 3.71
Senior year: 3.92

cGPA: 3.68
sGPA: 3.63

My MCAT is 37, balanced.

What do you guys think? ECs are solid, LOR are pretty good. Let me know what you guys think. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

a guy i know got into U Kentucky MD/PhD with a 3.0 soo gl. Also people forgive freshman year more than senior year and your senior year is great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think your gpa is so low that you wouldn't get looked at and I think your upward trend would help you. I'd say apply to as many top schools as you can afford if being at a top program is really important to you and just make sure you balance it with a good number of low-mid tier schools that you could still see yourself being happy at.

It's also hard to say without EC specifics... if you have some really stellar and unique experiences the lower gpa might not matter as much.

Your GPAs are, well, avg for MD acceptees. Aim for medium tiers and you'll be fine.

Hey Guys,

So I am at a top university (HYP) and my final cumulative GPA was just calculated, but I don't know if it's high enough to even consider applying to top places. I see very few people on MDapps getting into top schools with my GPA and MCAT (though I know its a super small sample size), but it's making me think whether or not I should even bother applying to top programs. Here is my GPA - I do have a strong upward trend over 4 years:

Freshman year: 3.48
Sophomore year: 3.59
Junior year: 3.71
Senior year: 3.92

cGPA: 3.68
sGPA: 3.63

My MCAT is 37, balanced.

What do you guys think? ECs are solid, LOR are pretty good. Let me know what you guys think. Any advice greatly appreciated.