MD by 23 and $0 debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YouMDbro

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many physicians are/were fortunate enough to be in a position like this, and is it really that big of a deal to graduate with no debt? I'm in an accelerated program and my parents were kind enough to pay for all of my schooling.

Members don't see this ad.

Young, done, and no debt?! I'm definitely envious! :wow:

How many physicians are/were fortunate enough to be in a position like this, and is it really that big of a deal to graduate with no debt? I'm in an accelerated program and my parents were kind enough to pay for all of my schooling.

If only we all could be so lucky to have such financially well-endowed parents. Bow down before the master :bow:.

Members don't see this ad :)

You are the worst.

The fact that you DON'T understand how huge it is to graduate without debt is a sign that your parents probably should have forced you to take out loans - if, for no other reason than to help you understand.

Yes, it is a HUGE deal.

Too bad that despite all of that you are a *****.

Don't feed the troll. First post and user name "YouMDbro." Sure it could be true but it is still trolling.

Don't feed the troll. First post and user name "YouMDbro." Sure it could be true but it is still trolling.

Not trolling, parents are docs that didn't have debt either, and the vast majority of the students in the accelerated program are also graduating without debt. Wasn't aware debt made that huge of a difference after graduating

Not trolling, parents are docs that didn't have debt either, and the vast majority of the students in the accelerated program are also graduating without debt. Wasn't aware debt made that huge of a difference after graduating
Why exactly did you ask this question?
Similar to Tom Brady coming out and saying,"Curious how common it is to have sex with Brazilian supermodels? Does everyone get to do this?"
Not only is it a disingenuous question, it just screams "I'm a huge tool."

Troll or still in high school? Either way if you indeed do not understand the doctor/debt issue, take a look at this thread or about 30 others on SDN for some background

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11956044

Say you use the government loan programs at 7% or so and then accrue 250,000 in debt, you could easily end up paying 2 dollars back for every 1 dollar you take out

I suggest doing one of those mission trips where you live on 1 dollar a day for a month..... it'll help you with the "empathy" part of medicine

This is one of the reasons why I feel most of the people from the accelerated program in my class are naive. Most of them lack life experiences and have been babied by their parents, One of them doesn't know how to pay for bills. Another one gives his parents his password to the school's banner website so they can fill out the necessary financial aid forms for him since he doesn't understand the process. A few of them are actually proud of this and brag about how they never have to worry. I think it's sad.

I feel like the atmosphere of this thread is kinda the same as what it is when a parent explains the birds and the bees to their 5th grade, but with a hint of rage

Members don't see this ad :)
According to AMCAS (https://www.aamc.org/download/159350/data/table6.pdf)

The youngest age at matriculation was age 20 (1 pertcentile), so getting a MD by 23 is not plausible

My cousin was 17 when he graduated from HS (he had one of those fall birthdays, so he was always the youngest in his class). He then graduated from a 6 year program, at the age of 23. Technically, it's possible.

This is one of the reasons why I feel most of the people from the accelerated program in my class are naive. Most of them lack life experiences and have been babied by their parents, One of them doesn't know how to pay for bills. Another one gives his parents his password to the school's banner website so they can fill out the necessary financial aid forms for him since he doesn't understand the process. A few of them are actually proud of this and brag about how they never have to worry. I think it's sad.

So sad.:(

*recent topics about debt arise*
*post from new user about their lack of debt*
Obvious troll is obvious.

My cousin was 17 when he graduated from HS (he had one of those fall birthdays, so he was always the youngest in his class). He then graduated from a 6 year program, at the age of 23. Technically, it's possible.

Sure technically it's possible. I'm sure somewhere out there is a guy who got his MD when he was 23 or 20 or 18. But I think we can both agree there a lot more internet trolls than people who get MDs when they are 23. And OP's question is certainly more troll-ish than Dougie Howser-ish in nature.

The youngest age at matriculation was age 20 (1 pertcentile), so getting a MD by 23 is not plausible

i-am-the-1-percent-smithers-release-the-hounds-simpsons-240x180.jpg

Thread has been derailed by mad jellies, so I'll just let it die. Now I know how grumpy/vicious indebted graduates are.

That just means that the top 1% of the age range was 20 or less. Had they posted the 0.1% the age could have easily been 19, or 18. MD by 23 is, admittedly, rare, but it's certainly plausible.

Yeah Neil Patrick Harris got his MD at age 16, I'm sure there are a few others out there too

Thread has been derailed by mad jellies, so I'll just let it die. Now I know how grumpy/vicious indebted graduates are.

Does anyone notice his name and use of first grade vocabulary (bolded)?

My Kudos to this troll. :)

That just means that the top 1% of the age range was 20 or less. Had they posted the 0.1% the age could have easily been 19, or 18. MD by 23 is, admittedly, rare, but it's certainly plausible.
Its called getting an MD outside of the United States. Most places you don't need college to start medical school and it is sponsored by the government. In my opinion, this is a superior system and we will emulate it eventually.

Its called getting an MD outside of the United States. Most places you don't need college to start medical school and it is sponsored by the government. In my opinion, this is a superior system and we will emulate it eventually.

Indeed. In Europe, graduating with an MD and zero debt at age 23 is entirely possible and not unusual. From our perspective the mere concept of indebting oneself for higher education (especially to that degree) is mind-boggling - but the same also applies for US MD salaries, even though these are certainly not directly related. Still, hypothetically it would be interesting to know if US students would be cool with 1/3 of the salary for free tuition "in return".

I am really glad that I was a construction worker for a few years after college. "Is it really a big deal to graduate with no debt?" Seriously, jeez....

At my school you have to be 18 to start clinicals, if that's the norm then you would have to be at least 20, or 19 with some change.

This is how the rule goes:

1- Young
2- Rich
3- Smart

Chose any two.

Indeed. In Europe, graduating with an MD and zero debt at age 23 is entirely possible and not unusual. From our perspective the mere concept of indebting oneself for higher education (especially to that degree) is mind-boggling - but the same also applies for US MD salaries, even though these are certainly not directly related. Still, hypothetically it would be interesting to know if US students would be cool with 1/3 of the salary for free tuition "in return".

Yes, but look at these European doctors' salaries.

I'd rather have more money early in life, so I would be okay with reduced salary if it meant that I didn't have to take out loans. I realize the military offers this option but I want to be able to pick my residency.

What are you going to do with millions of dollars in your 60s?

Nice subtle bragging you got going on here

I'd rather have more money early in life, so I would be okay with reduced salary if it meant that I didn't have to take out loans. I realize the military offers this option but I want to be able to pick my residency.

What are you going to do with millions of dollars in your 60s?

What are you saying?:scared:

Consider yourself blessed. Hug your parents and tell them you love them.

Hopefully I'll be able to do the same to my kid one day.

This is how the rule goes:

1- Young
2- Rich
3- Smart

Chose any two.

1-Young
2-Rich
3-Smart
4-Well-adjusted

Choose 3
----------------

I had the opportunity to start as early as the OP but I would not have survived med school if I had applied back in 2007 (at 18). If the OP isn't a troll I applaud you

A lot of people. They just aren't posting here.

1-Young
2-Rich
3-Smart
4-Well-adjusted

Choose 3
----------------

I had the opportunity to start as early as the OP but I would not have survived med school if I had applied back in 2007 (at 18). If the OP isn't a troll I applaud you

Actually, it's still 2.

No debt is a big deal. But I think a lot of people who do this get saddled with career decisions they are making way too young, and without a whole lot if thought put into it. Who of us hasn't made some stupid decisions at 17-18. Who hasn't changed their whole outlook on life even just five years from that point. Specialties that are going to seem cool at 23 are going to be less appealing when you are 28. It's a good age to be figuring out what you want to do with your life, not focused in on a path. There's a whole lot of coming of age and maturity that happens by timing out med school admissions relatively late that shouldn't be underestimated. It's not an accident that the US rejected other nations models of attending med school right out of college, and that the BS-MD accelerated programs are becoming fewer each year. It's not what folks in this country consider the preferred model. So yeah, a lot of folks can be jealous of the debt, but more than a few wouldnt change places with you regarding the timing. And this is coming from someone who did start their first career at about your age.

No debt is a big deal. But I think a lot of people who do this get saddled with career decisions they are making way too young, and without a whole lot if thought put into it. Who of us hasn't made some stupid decisions at 17-18. Who hasn't changed their whole outlook on life even just five years from that point. Specialties that are going to seem cool at 23 are going to be less appealing when you are 28. It's a good age to be figuring out what you want to do with your life, not focused in on a path. There's a whole lot of coming of age and maturity that happens by timing out med school admissions relatively late that shouldn't be underestimated. It's not an accident that the US rejected other nations models of attending med school right out of college, and that the BS-MD accelerated programs are becoming fewer each year. It's not what folks in this country consider the preferred model. So yeah, a lot of folks can be jealous of the debt, but more than a few wouldnt change places with you regarding the timing. And this is coming from someone who did start their first career at about your age.

Yes but as you get older you are less willing to delay gratification for family, social life, etc and also acquire more responsibilities in life. So I would argue that there are also benefits to finishing medical school at an earlier age.

Yes but as you get older you are less willing to delay gratification for family, social life, etc and also acquire more responsibilities in life. So I would argue that there are also benefits to finishing medical school at an earlier age.

There are pros and cons to everything. In the OP's case I am sure his parents would have paid for everything even if he did the traditional 4+4 model. The extra maturity would have been well worth it.

Very good point. I would never consider choosing a specialty based on perceived coolness. But, if I was very young at the time then I would probably factor in coolness with almost all decisions.

I'm in an accelerated program too. Lucky for me i pay public college tuition 4400 a year up until clinical rotations, which start in a few months. Then tuition sky rockets to around 44,000 for my last two years. I'm freaking out about that. I almost feel bad for students that go to private universities and end up more than 100,000 in debt when they start medical school. I mean, why go to a school like, idk, University of illinois [not sure if that's a private uni or not, just insert another one] when you can get an undergrad degree at a public college and conserve your money for graduate school/medical school/law school etc.? Don't even get me started about schools like NYU [which i think is extremely overrated]. What we need in this country are no private educational institutions of any kind. Something like Finland's education system [idk if any of you read a recent article about their overall schooling-->it's basically one of the best in the world if i recall correctly] would be most beneficial to this country. This is all opinion btw, just in case anyone thinks i want to pass this off as fact.

I almost feel bad for students that go to private universities and end up more than 100,000 in debt when they start medical school. I mean, why go to a school like, idk, University of illinois [not sure if that's a private uni or not, just insert another one] when you can get an undergrad degree at a public college and conserve your money for graduate school/medical school/law school etc.?

Seems ******ed to me too. I went to state school w/ free tuition and my parents never had to dip into their 529 for my undergraduate education. As a result, they are paying for a big chunk of my med school costs with college savings.

There are a few TOP schools that I'd happily pay for my kids--the Ivies (but I'm not impressed with Brown or Cornell), Caltech, MIT, etc. Otherwise, I don't see much of a benefit of expensive private school vs reasonably priced state school.

Do you guys feel that the 6 year program was worth it? I've heard through the grapevine that it can be really tough to give up the undergrad experience, although I also admire the "getting sh~t done" mentality. Personally, I feel like I was barely mature enough for med school at age 21, let alone at 19.

It's common in Canada, or at least French Canada, to graduate with no debt because the tuition is so cheap. The Francophone schools have some paltry tuition rate of about $3-4k/year. You can also do a 5-year MD program right out of high school allowing you to graduate at the age of 21 or 22 with an MD.

I study in Europe and will be graduating by 23 with no debt, and I can tell you that most doctors here (at least in western Europe) are very much satisfied with their salaries. Graduating early does make a difference because it let's you experiment with what specialty you'd like to get into after med school. The salaries are quite decent and you can live a pretty good life here.