Md chances low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbarilla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances for MD? I really want to go to MD school. I am okay with low tier schools and rather not do a masters due to financial reasons. Messed up early in college but bounced back

3.22 cGPA
3.56 sGPA

Two bachelors consisting of 149 credits
University of Miami

BS biology with chemistry minor
BA criminology with English minor

35R MCAT 14P 10V 11B

Upward trend

1st 32 credits 1.7
Last 117 credits 3.76
Last 60 credits 3.8
Last 30 credits 3.9

Biology Honor Society
Criminology Honor Society
Sociology Honor Society

Multiple Deans List
Multiple Provost Honor Roll

24 credit semester - presidential honor roll 4.0 gpa all science

Pharmacy Technician
3 years volunteering hospital
Multiple clubs- amsa, criminology club, premed honor society (AED)
Pre med fraternity - PhiDE
Volunteering events through clubs

Shadowing- Pediatric Surgeon

About to shadow director of palliative care

Research starting soon with director

Good LORs

Ny resident

Members don't see this ad.

The cGPA is well below avg for MD schools, and a tad low, but still competitive for DO programs.

Suggest shooting for only the lowest of the low tiers (NYMC, Rosy Franklin) and maybe SUNY Buffalo as your MCAT is significantly higher than theirs.

On the whole, I'm worried that your stellar MCAT will not save the low GPA, but some MD programs do like strong rising trends, like Albany and SUNY Upstate.

So, apply to a mix of MD and DO programs just to be safe. Contact some Admissions deans to see if your competitive.

ECs look great too.

What are my chances for MD? I really want to go to MD school. I am okay with low tier schools and rather not do a masters due to financial reasons. Messed up early in college but bounced back

3.22 cGPA
3.56 sGPA

Two bachelors consisting of 149 credits
University of Miami

BS biology with chemistry minor
BA criminology with English minor

35R MCAT 14P 10V 11B

Upward trend

1st 32 credits 1.7
Last 117 credits 3.76
Last 60 credits 3.8
Last 30 credits 3.9

Biology Honor Society
Criminology Honor Society
Sociology Honor Society

Multiple Deans List
Multiple Provost Honor Roll

24 credit semester - presidential honor roll 4.0 gpa all science

Pharmacy Technician
3 years volunteering hospital
Multiple clubs- amsa, criminology club, premed honor society (AED)
Pre med fraternity - PhiDE
Volunteering events through clubs

Shadowing- Pediatric Surgeon

About to shadow director of palliative care

Research starting soon with director

Good LORs

Ny resident

Members don't see this ad :)
Any one else have some insight or opinions/school choices. Would be much appreciated

This is my preliminary list. Going to cut it down, I know there are some big reaches but what you think overall

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Case Western
Rosalind Franklin
Columbia
Cooper at Rowan U
Creighton
Drexel
Frank Netter
George Washington U
Harvard
Hofstra
Mt. Sinai
Johns Hopkins
Morehouse
New York Medical College
NYU
Ohio State
Suny upstate
Suny downstate
Stony brook
Tufts
Tulane
UBuffalo
UCF
U of Miami - undergrad institution
UM- Kansas City
U of Rochester
VCU
Virginia Tech
Cornell

Please let me know, need all the advice I can get

Cornell or Case Western??? And Harvard????????

Tip: MD schools require high GPAs + high MCATs. It's not called "autoscreening" for nothing.

Morehouse is a historically black college. If you're not a URM, then your chances there are pretty much zero.

It might be worthwhile for you to purchase the MSAR and see what stats are really reflective of the schools you're interested in.

Suggest the following schools

Albany Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
Cooper at Rowan U
Drexel
Frank Netter
Hofstra
Morehouse
New York Medical College
Suny upstate
Suny downstate
Stony brook
Tufts
UBuffalo

Add:
NYCOM
PCOM
LECOM
NJCOM (or whatever they call it)
Touro-Harlem
Edmund Via COM
NECOM
Pikesville
LMU-DeBusk

Please let me know, need all the advice I can get[/QUOTE]

I am not interested In DO unless I realize I do not get into MD. Because of grade forgiveness on DO apps my aacomas gpa would be a 3.7+ and my 35 mcat would make me highly competitive. I will apply DO next cycle if this cycle doesn't wok out

OP, save yourself the fees and eliminate Harvard and Cornell; I mean the bottom 10% gpa at Harvard is a 3.7. Eliminate all top 20 schools, sorry but that is a REALLY LONG shot. Your reach schools should be mid-tiers. Are you URM? Eliminate Morehouse if not.

OP, someone i know got into Case Western with your MCAT and the same GPA (but cGPA and sGPA reversed)

i would leave Case Western on your list, as that school really likes high MCAT scores.

but get rid of harvard and cornell and add in a few schools more realistic for you.

Thank you. I knew I had no chance at those but my parents were like why not take a shot lol. They said you have 0 percent chance if you don't try. But this list is only preliminary. I look to feedback from you guys. Thank you for advice. I appreciate it. Aspiring, do you know of anymore realistic schools I left off with non crazy out of state tuitions. Anyone else have any ideas?

sbarilla, i think what your parents told you is pretty sound advice. Not just for the medical world but as a thing to go by in life.

Can anyone recommend good low tier schools that have decent percent OOS matriculants

I am not interested In DO unless I realize I do not get into MD. Because of grade forgiveness on DO apps my aacomas gpa would be a 3.7+ and my 35 mcat would make me highly competitive. I will apply DO next cycle if this cycle doesn't wok out

Well if you're a competitive DO applicant, you might as well apply DO now and get all of the application business out of the way in one cycle. I'm not going to get into the whole MD vs. DO debate, but you're better off applying both MD and DO at the same time. Getting into medical school is a crapshoot even for people who do have good stats, and your cGPA is definitely low for MD schools, even some of the lower-tiered ones, and your upward trend, while impressive, may not save you. At the end of the day, if you get into either an MD or a DO school, you'll still be a doctor, so don't force yourself through two application cycles if you don't have to.

This is my preliminary list. Going to cut it down, I know there are some big reaches but what you think overall

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Case Western
Rosalind Franklin
Columbia
Cooper at Rowan U
Creighton
Drexel
Frank Netter
George Washington U
Harvard
Hofstra
Mt. Sinai
Johns Hopkins
Morehouse
New York Medical College
NYU
Ohio State
Suny upstate
Suny downstate
Stony brook
Tufts
Tulane
UBuffalo
UCF
U of Miami - undergrad institution
UM- Kansas City
U of Rochester
VCU
Virginia Tech
Cornell

Please let me know, need all the advice I can get

Why not adding all the FL schools since you might considered in-state for them?

When are you starting research and what will you be doing? I think everyone should have reach schools, but there are reaches where you have too many things going against you (low gpa, below school's average MCAT, AND lack of significant research) and then there are smarter reaches where it's only one thing going against you (low gpa). So, for Case Western, Columbia, Harvard, Mt Sinai, Hopkins, NYU, and Cornell--it's the first case. Most of those schools have a 10th percentile cGPA that is well above your cGPA, all have an MCAT average that is at or higher than your MCAT score (since you already have a lower GPA, you want your MCAT to be a plus--not an "average" at the school), and all of those are top 30 research schools (read: they like research). IMO, that's too much going against you. Rochester, Ohio State, and Albert Einstein are better reaches for you. But hey, the only thing that you hurt applying to a couple of dream schools is your wallet. If you'd rather do that then wonder later on if you ever had a chance, then that's the right choice for you.

Your upward trend, especially in combination with your MCAT score, looks really good. Hopefully there's an explanation for your first 32 credits and that some adcoms will be able to catch that and overlook it. I also hope you get some love from your SUNYs.

The rest of your list looks decent. Morehouse is a HBCU so don't apply unless your goals align with their mission. I'm pretty sure Missouri is not OOS friendly. Consider adding Jefferson, Temple, MCW, OUWB, and UVM. If you want to consider another reach maybe look at SLU.

I am starting this Month with the director of palliative care at mount sinai. He is not sure of which of his projects he will put me on yet but I will be shadowing him as well as assisting in research

These are my exact semester breakdowns

Fall 2006: 1.78
Spring 2007: 2.3
Fall 2007: 1.19
Spring 2008: 2.3
Summer 2008: 3.77
Fall 2008: 3.94
Spring 2009: 3.76
Fall 2009: 3.67
Spring 2010: 3.54
Fall 2010: 3.94
Spring 2011: 4.0
Summer 2011: 3.5

Will the many good semesters make up for the bad ones at all? The early semesters only included 2 science courses with a C in both

Amcas groups all 4 bad semesters into freshman year since it was 32 earned credits

Should I also cover low gpa in personal statement

Will semester breakdowns like that really set me back bad?