MD Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clynn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:
3.90 sGPA
3.96 overall
30 MCAT

I applied at the following schools:
Cooper Rowan University
Creighton University
Drexel University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Michigan State
New York Medical College
Pennsylvania State University
Rosalind Franklin University
Rush Medical College
Rutgers New Jersey
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
Thomas Jefferson
Stony Brook
Temple University
University of Vermont
Tufts
UA Tucson
UA Phoenix
U Pitt
Wake Forest

I was also considering adding these:
Quinnipiac
U Central Florida
Florida International
Commonwealth Medical College (PA)
Hofstra
Central Michigan
Western Michigan

Any insight into my chances for acceptance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The 3 NJ state schools, Michigan State and SUNY Stony Brook accept few OOS applicants with a MCAT of 30 but your GPA ma help you. The other 15 schools are fine and you should be considered for an interview to your AZ schools. Go ahead and add Quinnipiac, Commonwealth (PA), Hofstra and Western Michigan.

Forget the two NJ schools; Rowan is OK. If you have MSAR Online, pay more careful attention tot he Acceptance Information tab for chances as an OOS applicant t5o an OOS public school. Forget MSU and Pitt. Consider EVMS, Rush, SLU, Creighton and Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts). You're fine for any DO program, so consider the two AZ schools, Western, TUCOM-CA and TUNCOM.

Hi everyone,

I am applying for this cycle. I have already received around 18 secondaries and am completing those by this weekend.

Here are my statistics:

Arizona resident
sGPA: 4.0
cGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 30 (10/10/10) (this is significantly below my average, but I was sick while taking the exam)
Volunteer experience during undergrad: 250 hours in the emergency room at a disadvantaged hospital, 500 hours of research experience (including ~200 in a NIH-funded clinical lab), 150 hours volunteering with grieving/ill children, 150 hours volunteer with a child with severe disabilities, 80 hours shadowing 3 different physicians, study abroad, medical brigade abroad, working for 4 years, tutor for Chemistry and Biology departments, private tutor, mentor for freshmen at my university, and second author on a presentation at a national research seminar. I also volunteer in one of the admissions offices at my school's COM.

I applied at the following schools:
Cooper Rowan University
Creighton University
Drexel University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Michigan State
New York Medical College
Pennsylvania State University
Rosalind Franklin University
Rush Medical College
Rutgers New Jersey
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
Thomas Jefferson
Stony Brook
Temple University
University of Vermont
Tufts
UA Tucson
UA Phoenix
U Pitt
Wake Forest

I was also considering adding these:
Quinnipiac
U Central Florida
Florida International
Commonwealth Medical College (PA)
Hofstra
Central Michigan
Western Michigan

Any insight into my chances for acceptance (particularly Arizona schools are of interest for me) would be greatly appreciated! Thank you everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for the advice. I have added the schools you suggested, and will not complete secondaries for the ones I have little chance for. I applied to the New Jersey schools because I have family there and have spent a lot of time there. Would you say that I have a fairly good chance at acceptance at some school, based on my stats?

Thank you very much for the advice. I have added the schools you suggested, and will not complete secondaries for the ones I have little chance for. I applied to the New Jersey schools because I have family there and have spent a lot of time there. Would you say that I have a fairly good chance at acceptance at some school, based on my stats?
Unless you are IS, your ties to NJ won't help at either Rutgers. There are 11 schools on your list where you have a fair to good chance at an interview. That's usually enough.

Thank you for the response. Does anyone know about likelihood of granting interviews at UA COM - Phoenix? I know UA Tucson essentially gives interviews to nearly all in-state applicants (so long as they meet basic requirements), but I have not heard if this is the case for UA - Phoenix or not.

Thank you for the response. Does anyone know about likelihood of granting interviews at UA COM - Phoenix? I know UA Tucson essentially gives interviews to nearly all in-state applicants (so long as they meet basic requirements), but I have not heard if this is the case for UA - Phoenix or not.

Where did you hear that UA - TUCSON grants interviews to all in state applicants (so long as they meet the basic requirements)?

I heard this was the case a few years ago when they weren't accepting out of state residents as much. Not so much anymore. But I'm not sure :)