Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MD/DO application timeline question

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by kafratta, 09.30.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. MarshMedic

MarshMedic SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    A quick question on whether or not I have enought time for prospective trip:

A few friends and I want to take a extended backpacking trip covering half of the Appalachian Trail, about 1000 mi., and it would take roughly 3 months. Since I am a post-bac and am finished with required classes I am taking upper level Bio's this semester to help my application while working. I had planned on doing the same next semester, but this may truly be a once in a life time oppurtunity.

If we leave in early March we will be back in Early June. Will this interfer with my timeline for submitting applications? Can I write my statements and prepare my application in Feb in prep for being gone for the next 3 months, so that come June 1st I can just have someone click "send"?

Also I would like some of your personal opinions as to whether or not it is worth it in lieu of another upper level bio/biochem. I have not looked into the actual application process all too thoroughly yet since I have been quite busy with work, class, and MCAT prep. I know I'll have to do more digging on my own; I am just trying to get a general idea from some more experienced people.

Last edited: 09.30.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Meep Meep Meep 5+ Year Member

Tied to a library chair
    Medical Student
    I think you'd be fine for the timeline, though I wonder if you'd be better served writing once you were back or when you were on the trail.

Sounds like an awesome trip.
  4. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    +1 for the trip, but leaving in early March means you're on snow. Maybe start later and plan a midpoint break to deal w/apps?

About the ads