MD&DO Chances 3.85GPA, 3.83sGPA, 27 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2016Hopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

First time here on forums! So I took my MCAT twice, first time around a 8V,9P,10BS. Second time 7V,11P,9BS. So both times was a 27 composite. I was expecting the second time to be much better but not much you can do at this point. Luckily my GPA is high with a 3.83/3.85 avg. I have extensive research and also part of several clubs so my ECs should be fine. I have decent clinical experience as well. I was wondering what would be my chances at DO/MD? Also how bad will they look at having two MCAT with same scores?

The main question I want to ask is that if I want to apply to MD, DO. What would be some viable options?

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have similar stats just a tiny bit lower gpa (3.76/3.78) with a tiny bit higher MCAT (28 8/10/10 PS/VR/BS) so I am interested to hear what people have to say to you.

You would be competitive for almost all DO schools so apply broadly. For MD apply to your state public schools. Consider Quinnipiac, New York Medical, Albany, Commonwealth (PA), Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rosalind Franklin, Creighton and any private schools that open in 2016. You are not competitive for OOS public schools with a MCAT of 27.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses!

For some schools like North Texas COM and Rowan COM, how much preference do they have for in-state? Is my stats decent enough to try to apply for them even thought they prefer instate? Also, would I have any shot for schools like Jefferson, Temple, GW?

For some schools like North Texas COM and Rowan COM, how much preference do they have for in-state? Is my stats decent enough to try to apply for them even thought they prefer instate? Also, would I have any shot for schools like Jefferson, Temple, GW?
You could apply to Jefferson, Temple and GW (and Drexel) but those schools receive large numbers of applicants so it would be more difficult to be noticed with a MCAT of 27. Also Jefferson, Temple and Drexel tend to give PA or Delaware residents preference so unless you are a resident of those states your chances are lower.

Reactions: 1 user

TCOM really only have a shot if your from Texas. Rowan not as much but the cost is going to be insane for you. MD little shot a 27 is circling the drain. DO your very competitive. I think applying to say 7 DO and your state MDs plus low tier MD is what you should do. Maybe 13 or so MD schools.

Here is my list of DO and MD schools that I might consider. Let me know what you guys think about it. Credit to Faha for a lot of the MD's choices.

DO:
Touro COM Nevada (Touro Family)
NYIT College of OM
A.T. Still COM(Kirtkville)
Nova Southeastern College of OM
Des Moines College of OM
Chicago College of Ostepathic Medicine (Midwestern Family)
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Touro University- California (TUCOM-CA)
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine (Midwestern Family)

MD:
George Washington
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Creighton
Western Michigan
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Rosalin Franklin
Common Wealth (PA)
Medical College of Wisconsin

Let me know if there some bad choices / other schools I should consider. Thanks!

Here is my list of DO and MD schools that I might consider. Let me know what you guys think about it. Credit to Faha for a lot of the MD's choices.

DO:
NYIT College of OM
Des Moines College of OM

MD:
George Washington
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Creighton
Western Michigan
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Rosalin Franklin
Common Wealth (PA)
Medical College of Wisconsin

Let me know if there some bad choices / other schools I should consider. Thanks!

I really only comment on the DO side of things so I will give you my thoughts on that.

DO:

Touro NV is OK but I think you can shoot a little higher. Unless you are local its not the best. Fairly new and is a bit of a warehouse

NYIT College of OM

Expensive in a nice area. Good school with a huge OPTI but losing spots with LIJ to hofstra.

Good school in a remote area. I would remove if you aren't comfortable living in kirskville

Good school a bit expensive. Huge opti in a great area (close to fort Lauderdale and Miami). Talk about mandatory attendance.
Des Moines College of OM

Very good school should be high on your list.

Very expensive and very MCAT heavy (weakest part of your app) . good resources.

Great school big opti. Cool city and has lots of affiliations. Should be high on your list. Good value.

MCAT heavy but if you wanna be by that area you should apply. Its rather new also.

Very expensive OOS.great school but its 58 k OOS tuition.

Expensive! 58k tuition

Maybe add VCU on the MD side

On the DO side you might wanna add KCU versus kirskville.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your insight! I noticed that there were a few schools that seem to be less than ideal from your perspective (whether due to cost or just lesser quality).
What would you recommend in terms of alternative DO schools to apply for? (I want to apply to around 10 DO, 10 MD) I live in New England and there is no in state DO schools in my state so I will have to depend on OOS schools.