MD/DO school list. 31MCAT, 3.6cGPA, 3.42sGPA, but LOW BS score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reapplicant, 31MCAT (12PS/11VR/8BS), 3.6cGPA, 3.42sGPA, double major in bio and French. I will be starting an SMP in September to try to brush up on some bio topics and get back in to the groove of studying. I graduated in June 2013, so have been out of school for a while at this point. I know my BS score is low, but I don't feel like I have enough time to study enough for a better score this cycle, so I'm going to go for it and see what happens.

I'm not opposed to DO schools, but haven't shadowed a DO and don't have a DO letter... so that is a limiting factor.

ECs:
4 year D1 athlete (but in one of the lame sports haha), captain for senior year
~1000hours as a CNA in a hospital (current job)
One year research ~10 hours per week, no pubs
~100 hours non-medical volunteering
~100 hours medical volunteering
~50 hours shadowing, but 30 are from the summer before college

Current MD school list:
All Michigan schools (MI resident)
Commonwealth Medical College
MCWisconsin
George Washington
Georgetown
Rush
Creighton
Drexel
Virginia Commonwealth
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Toledo
Albany
Eastern Virginia
Jefferson
NYMC
Miami
Vermont
Temple
Tulane
St Louis
Wake Forest
U Cincinnati (lots of family ties to the area, I know it's a far reach though)

DO:
MSUCOM and I'm really not sure where else. As stated I haven't shadowed a DO, so I know that will be a huge disadvantage

Any help paring down/adjusting the MD list and adding to the DO list would be awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't apply to U of Michigan, but I don't think Cincy would be a major reach.

Reactions: 1 users
I would be out of state for Cinci though...don't they have a significant IS bias?

I wouldn't say it's too significant, considering they're a public school. IS applicants are admitted at about a 4.7/1 ratio, but that's much lower than some of the other schools you're applying to.

Also, I'm an Ohio resident, and I can tell you there's a huge bias in Ohio that Ohio State is one of the best public schools in the country all-around (undergrad, sports, grad/med, etc). I'm not sure how much that applies to med school, but I can tell you for a fact that Cincy actively recruits OOS students for its other programs because so many Ohio residents want to go to Ohio State.

Reactions: 1 user
That Bio8 is going to hurt. 10 or 11 is the typical 10th percentile. This is the one category you should have aced...didn't you learn anything in all your Bio classes?

Try all of the new MD schools, and all the MI schools

You're fine for any DO schools. Plenty of time to shadow too...MI is DO rich. Go visit the MSUCOM campus, unless you live on the UP. Just apply later.