MD LoR or wait for DO LoR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drhigh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are some schools that require a LoR from a physician to complete your application. I have a LoR from an MD whom I am working with now. However, I know that some schools stress that a LOR from a DO is preferred.

Should I send in my LoR from the MD now to complete my application and then try to send in another one from a DO later on? Or should I wait for the DO letter which I probably won't get until another month.

Members don't see this ad.

Does the MD know you really well and able to write a really excellent LoR? What about the DO? If the DO letter is going to be completely generic and the MD a stellar one, I would just send in the MD letter, personally. Not worth the delayed submission.

Obviously some schools require a DO letter, while others recommend a DO letter (as you suggested). Personally I would go with whatever is earliest... Reason being that by the time they actually get to your application, mark it as complete, and possibly invite you to an interview, it will be around a month or so. So like you could update the schools with the new letter right around that time which would be convenient if you havent received an interview yet (it would spark them to invite you), or if you were interviewed, it could push them over that edge to accept you. I would see it as a win win either way, but at least the ball would be rolling.

I would just complete the application, at this point its best to just get the ball rolling. If were were still sitting back in July or something, I would say go ahead and wait, but time is key now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been working closely with the MD as I am scribing for him for the past 3 months. The DO doesn't know me at all since I am just starting to shadow him.

Thanks for all the reply. I will send in the MD LoR and then the DO when I can get it. I am just afraid that the DO schools would look unfavorably on my application if I send in the MD letter because I have very limited exposure to osteopathic medicine. It might seem that DO is my backup (which it is tbh).

From what I have seen on other threads, MD letter's aren't seen as a negative at all so they won't be seen as unfavorably but DO letter's are seen more positively than MD. So it doesn't hurt but doesn't really help so don't worry!

I'm in the same boat. I've been working as a scrub assist for a gen surg MD for 5 years. I have a stellar letter from him. I am now shadowing a DO orthopod and will send in the letter when I have a chance.

I got into a good DO school last year with just an MD letter (yet didn't even get interviews from a few other schools, and I wouldn't doubt that had something to do with it). In any case, be prepared to talk about why you don't have one in an interview.

If the MD letter is good, send it in now. FWIW, I applied with an MD letter and already have 2 acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user
Just make sure you get that DO letter. Had a great MD LOR last cycle, but I think just it alone may have cost me.

Reactions: 1 user