MD/MBA Disadvantage for Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Archdelux

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in pursuing an MD/MBA. First--I have a couple questions regarding reasons to pursue the degree. I am not planning on going into health administration (but who knows..), but I am simply interested in the field, and plan to go into private practice later. Would this be a good option? I would complete this in the same 4 years as MD (potentially at Tufts--any input on this program?)

Also, I think I read somewhere on SDN, though, that often times residency directors view this as a disadvantage..is this true? I am interested in going into either Neurology or IM/Cardio.

Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Why would a MBA be a disadvantage for residency? The MBA program I attended had five MD/MBAs and two of them went into ortho, so I doubt it was a huge disadvantage.

Some residency directors may not like it (suspicious of your motives) but it's not likely to be a major factor/concern.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would a MBA be a disadvantage for residency? The MBA program I attended had five MD/MBAs and two of them went into ortho, so I doubt it was a huge disadvantage.

Why?

Overeducated said:
Some residency directors may not like it (suspicious of your motives) but it's not likely to be a major factor/concern.

That's why. I'd guess it would be even worse if you were applying to plastics, derm, etc.

Why what? That I thought it wasn't a big disadvantage? 2 out of 5 people matched into an extremely competitive residency. Of course it's anecdotal, but if it were a huge disadvantage you would think it might affect their chances of acceptance.

Why what? That I thought it wasn't a big disadvantage? 2 out of 5 people matched into an extremely competitive residency. Of course it's anecdotal, but if it were a huge disadvantage you would think it might affect their chances of acceptance.

It was a rhetorical "why,"; I followed my "why," by quoting Oveeducated's post, because I agreed with him. Sorry, it's hard to convey tone on the internet.

With that said, I don't think anyone except a poll of PDs can accurately say what the community feels about MD/MBAs. My point is only that if one were to imagine they would have a problem, it's because of the reasons pointed out above. Not saying such a concern does exist, but I could definitely see how one might think it would.

Ok, so let's assume that a great disadvantage does not exist. If one was not planning to go into business, is there a distinct advantage in getting an mba? (in terms of private practice, and/or working at a university hospital, etc.?)

Ok, so let's assume that a great disadvantage does not exist. If one was not planning to go into business, is there a distinct advantage in getting an mba? (in terms of private practice, and/or working at a university hospital, etc.?)

I'm guessing that it wouldn't really help if you want to do private practice, though it could be helpful if your goal is to become CEO of a university hospital. Here are some examples of the latter:
http://www.massgeneral.org/news/releases/071902slavin.htm
http://www.brighamandwomens.org/publicaffairs/Newsreleases/gary_gottlieb.aspx

I went to a presentation by an MD/PhD/MBA last night, and was really impressed by how he took what he learned about optimizing efficiency in business school, and applied it to postgraduate medical education. He's big into medical education, which is one facet of medicine which I never thought out where the MBA could be useful. It actually got me interested in the MD/MBA thing...

You learn a different skill set and different way of thinking with an additional degree especially in a different discipline all together (like the MBA). I have yet to see a disadvantage. I know some people that have used the MBA as a break from med school as well when things got heated. The 4 joint degree candidates I know all took ideas successfully from the degree, only 2 are in residency right now and the other two are still in med school but plan on using the MBA both in and out of their field (investment businesses). Doctors don't make their money being doctors, they make it on their investments, just a little side note.

the part that medical schools miss telling medical students is that medicine is a business... and a big business at that (current estimates are that we as a nation spend 3 trillion dollars a year on healthcare alone).

residencies and opportunities afterwards are definitely changing their views. many may see an mba as an asset and an advantage.

of the two people in my class that went and got an mba, both went into residency (psychiatry and emergency), though one plans to practice and the other does not.

so, whether you want to be hospital ceo, president of the medical staff, open your own practice, open a medical spa, own a landscaping business; you may find an mba to be helpful.

I'm guessing that it wouldn't really help if you want to do private practice, though it could be helpful if your goal is to become CEO of a university hospital. Here are some examples of the latter:
http://www.massgeneral.org/news/releases/071902slavin.htm
http://www.brighamandwomens.org/publicaffairs/Newsreleases/gary_gottlieb.aspx

It will DEFINATELY help if you want to do private practice. Medical students are not taught anything in the way of how to run a business even though private practice is a small business.

I am a MD and currently pursuing an MBA. I highly recommend an MBA to all because I feel amazingly more prepared after only 6 months of schooling.

It will DEFINATELY help if you want to do private practice. Medical students are not taught anything in the way of how to run a business even though private practice is a small business.

I am a MD and currently pursuing an MBA. I highly recommend an MBA to all because I feel amazingly more prepared after only 6 months of schooling.

Thanks for your input. Are you taking night classes or something? Or pursuing the MBA full time? I think I have come to the tentative conclusion that I should focus on the MD now and if I feel it is required later, I can pursue the MBA later (as night classes, etc.). I don't want to subject myself to even more debt now; but mainly, i don't know if I will want/need an MBA now even though it seems very interesting to me... I don't know. :confused: still deciding...

Thanks for your input. Are you taking night classes or something? Or pursuing the MBA full time? I think I have come to the tentative conclusion that I should focus on the MD now and if I feel it is required later, I can pursue the MBA later (as night classes, etc.). I don't want to subject myself to even more debt now; but mainly, i don't know if I will want/need an MBA now even though it seems very interesting to me... I don't know. :confused: still deciding...

Arch I'm with you on this one...being an M2 now, I've been tossing the idea around in my head for the past 2 years. I had planned on taking the GMAT over the summer..but I ended up doing research over the summer in SF and exploring that city took a huge priority over studying and so I never got around to it. The only thing that can really qualm my anxiety is excatly what you said...forget about it now, if the opportunity comes up in residency and/or I feel like I can use it, I'll tackle it then. Anyways, good luck and lemme know if you come up with a brilliant plan to solve this dilemma! :D

My experience in applying to residency with an MD/MBA has been nothing but positive. I have gotten two residency interviews that my application would have been likely discarded if not for the MBA.

My experience in applying to residency with an MD/MBA has been nothing but positive. I have gotten two residency interviews that my application would have been likely discarded if not for the MBA.

If you don't mind my asking, what specialty are you applying for?