MD/MBA on AMCAS and working with uninsured populations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sudo

Señor Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a two-part question:

1) I am highly considering seeking a joint MD/MBA program and was wondering what the best way to go about this would be? On AMCAS, do you have to select either MD or MD/MBA? Or do you rank them? Would it increase my chances of acceptance if I applied for an MD program and THEN, applied for an MBA (after being accepted)?

2) I feel like the general idea about MD/MBA is that with an MD you'll have more management/executive experience and perhaps know how to run a clinic/hospital more efficiently (that's my naive understanding, at least). If I want to work with underrepresented, mostly uninsured populations, would an MBA be useful? I think it would...but I just want to get some other opinions.

Thanks!

Also...this is the article that sparked my 2nd question: http://www.aafp.org/fpm/2007/0600/p19.html#fpm20070600p19-bt1

And, this is my first post on SDN! Yay me :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

1) I am highly considering seeking a joint MD/MBA program and was wondering what the best way to go about this would be? On AMCAS, do you have to select either MD or MD/MBA? Or do you rank them? Would it increase my chances of acceptance if I applied for an MD program and THEN, applied for an MBA (after being accepted)?

2) I feel like the general idea about MD/MBA is that with an MD you'll have more management/executive experience and perhaps know how to run a clinic/hospital more efficiently (that's my naive understanding, at least). If I want to work with underrepresented, mostly uninsured populations, would an MBA be useful? I think it would...but I just want to get some other opinions.

Thanks!

1) I was interested in pursuing a MD/MBA as well. From what I remember, you don't select MD or MD/MBA on your AMCAS application. Schools that offer these dual-degree programs will list it as an option on their secondary.

Don't know enough to say anything about #2 :oops:

Thanks!

1) The programs I've researched treat it as two almost completely separate admissions processes, with different sets of requirements and two separate interviews. This probably varies depending on the school. Research the requirements of the schools you plan to apply to.

2) With your goals in mind, I'd probably look into to combined MD/MPH programs instead.

Take a look around the med business forum.