MD/MPH....why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaikokujin

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be an MS-1 this year, and I'm just finishing my one year teaching contract in Japan. it never even occured to me to look into getting an MD/MPH because I have never been exposed to any of the subject matter and I figured med school is hard enough -- you have to be a freakin' genius to get another degree at the same time. It wasn't even on the radar. Well, at least that's what I thought. As my year in Japan winds down, I have realized that I want to work in Asia again -- though in a more professional capacity than English-speaking-monkey. I was cleaning my apartment, and I found one of the brochures for my uni's 4 year combined MD/MPH program and thought "Wait! Why not get an MD?MPH and concentrate in international health and make a career abroad!" since this is one of the things they advertised on the brochure.

I realize this is pretty late in the game to start thinking about this (and probably past the application date for my program), but since I've been thinking about this for a whole 5 hours, I still don't really know anything about getting an MD/MPH.

So what can you tell me? How the hell can you take MORE classes on top of the already demanding medical school curriculum? That sounds impossible. What kinds of jobs do you see yourself getting with the combined degree? I can't really see myself working in war zones or in the jungle, but I would like to use my medical training overseas. However, are there positions in more industrialized countries? What made you want to get an MD/MPH?

Members don't see this ad.

gaikokujin said:
So what can you tell me? How the hell can you take MORE classes on top of the already demanding medical school curriculum? That sounds impossible. What kinds of jobs do you see yourself getting with the combined degree? I can't really see myself working in war zones or in the jungle, but I would like to use my medical training overseas. However, are there positions in more industrialized countries? What made you want to get an MD/MPH?

You don't have to do the MD/MPH program in 4 years. You can do it in five years. Your university may offer a wider range of summer classes, however, making an additional year unneccesary.

Additionally, many residencies offer the oppurtunity to complete the MPH, so medical school isn't your only oppurtunity to do it. However, many medical schools will pay for the MPH if you do a combined program.

I'm not taking classes for the MPH with my MD classes, but I know many people do and they are just fine My MPH classes usually only meet once a week for 3 hrs at night (twice a week in the summer) From my experience the classes aren't extremely demanding and the only reason I don't take them during the year is that I don't want to be at school from 10 am till 9 pm, even if it's only one or two days a week.

I really like public health, it gives you a great framework in which to put your medical education. You should go for it, but make sure you school is acredited!

I know we had opportunities to still apply for it in the fall of our MS1. It's not too late.

gaikokujin said:
I'm going to be an MS-1 this year, and I'm just finishing my one year teaching contract in Japan. it never even occured to me to look into getting an MD/MPH because I have never been exposed to any of the subject matter and I figured med school is hard enough -- you have to be a freakin' genius to get another degree at the same time. It wasn't even on the radar. Well, at least that's what I thought. As my year in Japan winds down, I have realized that I want to work in Asia again -- though in a more professional capacity than English-speaking-monkey. I was cleaning my apartment, and I found one of the brochures for my uni's 4 year combined MD/MPH program and thought "Wait! Why not get an MD?MPH and concentrate in international health and make a career abroad!" since this is one of the things they advertised on the brochure.

I realize this is pretty late in the game to start thinking about this (and probably past the application date for my program), but since I've been thinking about this for a whole 5 hours, I still don't really know anything about getting an MD/MPH.

Many programs also offer the option to complete the MD/MPH in 5 years. At my uni, you complete your MPH classes during the summer after 1st and 2nd year, and take a year off after 2nd year to finish the masters. Also, there are many concentrations in public health (biostats, public policy, int'l health, etc). Most schools will allow you to cater your course load to your interests. I also believe a MPH is a good precursor for hospital administration. Now, I'm not sure about deadlines, but at my uni you don't have to decide until Feb of your first year. This is ample time to communicate with students in the program. You also have to have permission from the Dean of Students. Check the website of your school or call the admissions dept.